Exchange/Outlook on Windows 95 security problem

Exchange/Outlook on Windows 95 security problem

Post by glen » Fri, 25 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I just discovered anyone can log on to my machine (Windows 95 ors2) as
themselves, use my Exchange profile, and read my mail!

On other Windows 95 machines at my site, we could not replicate this. We get
the "permission denied" error which is what I expect to happen when you try
to use someone else's profile if you are not logged in as that person.

Is this a Windows 95 configuration problem on my machine, a profile
configuration problem, or what?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Glenn

Post by Amiri Jone » Thu, 01 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>I just discovered anyone can log on to my machine (Windows 95 ors2) as
>themselves, use my Exchange profile, and read my mail!

>On other Windows 95 machines at my site, we could not replicate this. We
get
>the "permission denied" error which is what I expect to happen when you try
>to use someone else's profile if you are not logged in as that person.

>Is this a Windows 95 configuration problem on my machine, a profile
>configuration problem, or what?

    Are you keeping your mail in a PST?  If so, then you have no security,
aside from a password on the PST.  If permissions are configured properly in
Exchange, then only you can access the contents of your server mailbox.

1. Exchange, Outlook, Windows 95 and multiple users from a PC

Hi,

I am talking to a University who have a MicroSoft Exchange Server. On the
client side they have Outlook. The students log in from many different PCs
scattered around campus, but access the mail server. Is there anyway of
configuring this scenario such that it is not necessary to create an
individual mail profile for each student on each of the PCs ? Maybe set it
up to prompt for a user name and password to log onto the mail server ?

Thanks
Andrew Rycroft

2. How to get time on Exchange Server

3. exchange 5.5, roaming users with outlook '97 and windows 95

4. Blank icon attachement

5. If you are using Windows 95 or Windows NT

6. Problem With Offline Address Book Creation On clients

7. Exchange 5.5 SP2 + McAfee TVD products on NT4.0 + SP4

8. Outlook and Windows 95

9. Windows 95, MS Outlook, McAfee VirusScan402

10. Outlook 97 and Windows 95 User Profiles

11. If you are using Windows 95 or Windows NT