Laptop Users, In office and out of office

Laptop Users, In office and out of office

Post by Mark Brow » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 21:34:55

We have the following scenario:

Exchange on a private 192.168.1.X network
A firewall that allows for use of the Exchange Remote Transport
Laptop Users that use Outlook 2000
Laptop Users use the computer in and out of house
DNS is setup on the local network to Point to a record of
mail.servername.com = 192.168.1.2

DNS on the internet is setup to use mail.servername.com = whatever the
public IP is.

As you all know, if you go into the properties (Control Panel, Mail) and
select the exchange
piece, you can type in an IP or FQDN, but it reverts to \\servername. Not
something that
is going to work for the outside.

Is there any way to resolve this with the LMHOST file? Any other
suggestions?

Trying to make the Exchange piece transparent to users no matter if they are
on the 192.168.1.X private network or on the internet.

Your help is appreciated.

Laptop Users, In office and out of office

Post by Mike Shutter » Sun, 03 Jun 2001 06:58:24

Mark,

Go into the Windows directory (or WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC), create or
modify the HOSTS file to locally resolve the IP address of the PUBLIC
Exchange server to the NETBIOS name.  Exchange connects by NETBIOS name, not
DNS - that's why they can get to the exchange machine inhouse, but not
outside the network.

192.168.1.2 (TAB) mail.servername.com

Copy this file to the appropriate spot on each notebook according to OS.

It'll find it every time, but the connection needs to be a real IP address
when working from outside the private network.

If you use the LMHOSTS file, you need to reboot after making the entry, the
HOSTS file entry takes effect immediately.

Let us know if this helps.

Mike

===========

[...]

1. Laptop users who have desktops in the office?

I have a number of users who have laptops for on the road and desktops for
in the office.  Executive get whatever they want.

We are using Exchange as the client?

I have the laptops set-up to save mail to their personal folder on c:\ with
a 2nd personal folder on h: (h: being a network drive.).  This allows them
to RAS in, download their mail, log off, and read mail off-line.

I have the desktops set-up to save mail to the personal folder on h: (i.e.
the same h: drive, directory and file that the laptops use).

Is there a better solution?

We are looking at upgrading to Exchange server and Outlook97.  Do these
offer any better options.

2. how do I get a copy of imsext.dll?

3. User out of the office how do I set up the office Assistant on the server

4. Send an email without using a mail client

5. OWA Calendar issue

6. How can I stop users sending email out of the office but send local in office

7. Returned Email To Administrator

8. User out of the office how do I set up the office Assistant on the server

9. HELP! OWA/Laptop/Office Synchronization

10. Exchange Post Office and Artisoft Post Office

11. read out-of-office state and out-of-office-text programmicaly