Restricting access to other users' mailboxes

Restricting access to other users' mailboxes

Post by mwcoope » Sat, 24 May 2003 01:15:26

We are running Exchange 5.5 and Outlook 2000.  For some
reason, any user can access another user's mailbox and all
the inbox, calendar, etc. folders by clicking
File/Open/Other User's Folder in Outlook.  No permissions
have been assigned to any of the folders; they are all set
to "Default/none."  Can anyone explain why this is
happening or what can be done to restrict access to the
mailboxes?
Thanks for any advice!!

Restricting access to other users' mailboxes

Post by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange » Sat, 24 May 2003 04:03:16

The permissions in Exchange are messed up - check at site, org and server
levels in Exchange Admin. Perhaps everyone's a member of a group they
shouldn't be, or an all users/everyone group got added in with rights in
Exchange....

> We are running Exchange 5.5 and Outlook 2000.  For some
> reason, any user can access another user's mailbox and all
> the inbox, calendar, etc. folders by clicking
> File/Open/Other User's Folder in Outlook.  No permissions
> have been assigned to any of the folders; they are all set
> to "Default/none."  Can anyone explain why this is
> happening or what can be done to restrict access to the
> mailboxes?
> Thanks for any advice!!

1. Can't access one OWA mailbox - all others are fine

I get an: HTTP 500 - Internal Server Error - Internet
Explorer.

I can see the folders and shortcuts in the left pane along
with specific information regarding the mailbox (ie. 10
new messages in Inbox).

Side note:  I am having trouble backing up this mailbox as
well.  Backup Exec can't access anything below the "top of
the information store".

Thanks for any ideas!

2. EX55 Install Issue - Access Denied

3. Users accessing others mailbox

4. Message Expansion, or Rules????

5. Preventing Users Giving Others Access To Their Mailbox

6. Exchange Server 5.5 Setup Layout question

7. CDO-Newbie-Questions

8. restrict user's access

9. Disabled user account restricts access to mailbox

10. Disable user account in AD restricts access to mailbox

11. Restrict IMC Access to Selected Mailboxes/Users

12. restricting user access to mailboxes