Answer: MS Exchange Client for Macintosh says NT Exchange server is unavailable

Answer: MS Exchange Client for Macintosh says NT Exchange server is unavailable

Post by C. Norman Turri » Fri, 10 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Thanks to those who replied to this problem.  The two proposed solution
were not correct, but were helpful because they provided a clue as to what
the problem really was.

The problem was that the Exchange NT server was named differently in our
Domain Name Server (DNS) and in the NT WINS.  In DNS it was named MSG01 and
in WINS it was named PSUHMC_MSG01.    The Exchange client on our Macintosh
could get connected to the server using the DNS name (MSG01) for the
purpose of checking the mailbox name; however, it then stores the NT WINS
Exchange server name (PSUHMC_MSG01) in the  "Microsoft Exchange Server"
properties within the client.  It seems to later use this WINS name (rather
than the DNS name, MSG01, that we entered into the properties initially) to
locate the Exchange server.  Since the Macintosh Open Transport uses
standard DNS name resolution and not the non-standard WINS, it could not
find the Exchange server and could not open the mailbox.

The (temporary) solution was to add the following record to the DNS to
provide an alias:

PSUHMC_MSG01      CNAME      MSG01.HMC.PSU.EDU

Thanks again for your replies.  I always appreciate the helpfulness of
USENET and other news readers.

Regards,
Norman Turrill

says...

--
Norman Turrill, Advanced Project Engineer

snailmail:  Information Technology Dept.
Penn State Hershey Medical Center; PO Box 850; Hershey PA 17033

1. MS Exchange Client for Macintosh says NT Exchange server is unavailable

I can't get Mac to talk to Exchange Server at all using OT 1.1 TCP/IP.
Please let me know how you resolve your crisis.

Also, I can use only Apple Talk for file sharing with NT Services for Mac.
Will upgrade to OT 1.1.2 help?
--
Robert O'Connell
The Spalding Group

(Kindly "reply to author")

--------------------------------
Eschew obfuscation.

2. Outlook and failed IP connecitons

3. MS Exchange Client for Macintosh says NT Exchange server

4. Attachments not visible

5. Macintosh client migration (MS Mail PAL->MS Exchange PAB)

6. Public folders only

7. Macintosh Clients & NT Server

8. Greek when using IMSext.DLL

9. MS Mail3.5 Server and Exchange 4 Client to Exchange Client 5 and Server 5 Migration

10. Macintosh Exchange Client and MS-Mail Connector

11. Internet mail for Macintosh MS Exchange client

12. Your MS Exchange server is unavailable?

13. Error: MS Exchange Server Unavailable