slow or delayed logon to Exchange server using native Outlook 98 MAPI client across the Internet

slow or delayed logon to Exchange server using native Outlook 98 MAPI client across the Internet

Post by Jason Hammerschmid » Wed, 18 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi, we have a problem with our exchange server.

    Local logons through the LAN seem to go by reasonably fast.  Using a
native Outlook 98 client accesseing our Exchange Server with MAPI/MSRPC.
We are a TCP/IP only shop, no NetBIOS/NetBeui.

    The problem lies with our remote offices, when logging on, there are
some extreme delays.  We've done some packet capturing and found the
following pattern:
  0-10 sec      authentication traffic
  10-30 sec     nothing!
  30-40 sec     synchronization traffic

    The Exchange server is way under utilized (Compaq dual PIII), the
users' mail stores are small, regualar Internet traffic between the sites
is extremely fast (low latency, high throughput).  The clients are all the
latest Outlook 98, using Exchange MAPI to connect to the Exchange server.
We've disabled the NT Authentication on the logon prompt (brought logon
times to withing 40-60 seconds).  But there's still a large delay.  The PDC
and BDC are at our location, and the exchange logon uses a this domain.
Has anyone else experienced this before?  Can anyone help?

--
 Jason Hammerschmidt - Network & Systems Administrator - "Sapere Aude"

slow or delayed logon to Exchange server using native Outlook 98 MAPI client across the Internet

Post by Fast Eddi » Wed, 18 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Try to add/edit a hosts file with the IP address <tab> then the server name on the client in the windows dir. This file is a text file. there is a sample one called hosts.sam You can edit this one! Just make sure you remove the .sam from the hosts file. Your TCP/IP stack will look for this file and resolve the server name to the IP address.

    Hi, we have a problem with our exchange server.
        Local logons through the LAN seem to go by reasonably fast.  Using a native Outlook 98 client accesseing our Exchange Server with MAPI/MSRPC.  We are a TCP/IP only shop, no NetBIOS/NetBeui.

        The problem lies with our remote offices, when logging on, there are some extreme delays.  We've done some packet capturing and found the following pattern:
      0-10 sec      authentication traffic
      10-30 sec     nothing!
      30-40 sec     synchronization traffic

    Has anyone else experienced this before?  Can anyone help?

--
 Jason Hammerschmidt - Network & Systems Administrator - "Sapere Aude"

1. Outlook 98 Exchange server client logon problem

Running SBS 4.0a with Exchange Server 5.0 SP2 .. was using Outlook 97 on 3
workstations and all worked well until running into the now infamous "add
100 years to the calendar" issue.  Upgraded all workstations to Outlook 98..
now comes the glitch.

When connecting to the exchange server, the message (paraphrased) "the
exchange server is not available....' with the Retry/Work Offline/Cancel
buttons.  If you select Retry, you connect just fine.  I've upped the server
timeout settings to about 90 seconds but the error occurs in roughly 35
seconds.

This is consistant and occurs on every workstation 100% of the time. Not
using DHCP or WINS.  TCP/IP only- static to each workstation.

The ONLY thing that has changed is the client change to OL98 from OL97 ...
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Bill Dunn

2. Postmaster limitation?

3. runtime delay after starting Outlook'98 client

4. E2K capacity planning

5. Calender Events.

6. Outlook 98 clients cannot connect to exchange server after installing proxy client 2.0

7. OL98 Automatic Name Check does not work

8. Question for Exchange Admins using Outlook 98 / 2000 as a client on LANs

9. check names/send slow on some Outlook 98 clients

10. Question for Exchange Admins using Outlook 98 / 2000 as a client on LANs

11. Internal DNS Server = Slow Outlook 98

12. Exchange Client/Outlook 98 client doesn't offer Exchange Service