How do you configure OWA to use NTCR

Post by Charles R. Kelso » Sat, 21 Jul 2001 03:47:14

How do you successfully configure the system(s) to allow OWA to be accessed
using NT Challange / Response? We are using Exchange 5.5, Proxy 2.0, and NT
4.0. The configuration is as follows:

Domain A has Proxy, Exchange, and IIS installed. IIS is set to authenticate
users using Domain B.

THanks

How do you configure OWA to use NTCR

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sat, 21 Jul 2001 11:28:57

Quote:>How do you successfully configure the system(s) to allow OWA to be accessed
>using NT Challange / Response? We are using Exchange 5.5, Proxy 2.0, and NT
>4.0. The configuration is as follows:

>Domain A has Proxy, Exchange, and IIS installed. IIS is set to authenticate
>users using Domain B.

Those changes are made in IIS on the "Directory Security" tab of the
virtual directory.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

How do you configure OWA to use NTCR

Post by Charles R. Kelso » Sat, 21 Jul 2001 20:47:54

Rich, Thanks. I know where the change is in IIS. However, when the change is
made, OWA does not work. Is there a white paper with exact permissions, etc.
for this to work somewhere?

There seems to be a lot of confusion about this in general. All
documentation that I have found indicates that it can be done, but no step
by step instructions. Perhaps someone who is experienced in this would
consider publishing a detailed document specifically on OWA and the various
configurations of it (or better yet, point me to such a document if it
already exist).

Thanks

> >How do you successfully configure the system(s) to allow OWA to be
accessed
> >using NT Challange / Response? We are using Exchange 5.5, Proxy 2.0, and
NT
> >4.0. The configuration is as follows:

> >Domain A has Proxy, Exchange, and IIS installed. IIS is set to
authenticate
> >users using Domain B.

> Those changes are made in IIS on the "Directory Security" tab of the
> virtual directory.

> ------------------
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

How do you configure OWA to use NTCR

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sun, 22 Jul 2001 11:21:16

Quote:>Rich, Thanks. I know where the change is in IIS. However, when the change is
>made, OWA does not work.

That's probably because you block NetBIOS ports at the firewall! To
use NTLM/NTCR requires that port 139 is open between the browser and
OWA server. This is /not/ a desireable situation. Further, there are
dificulties if there are three machines invloved (the browser, the
OWA/IIS server, and the Exchange server). While NTLM/NTCR will work
between the browser and OWA, OWA cannot use the credentials
authenticate with the Exchange server (because it doesn't have the
password). Stick with plain text authentication and use SSL or a VPN
for security.

Quote:>Is there a white paper with exact permissions, etc.
>for this to work somewhere?

There are several TechNet KB articles on this topic.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

How do you configure OWA to use NTCR

Post by Melissa Traver » Fri, 27 Jul 2001 06:39:07

Hi Charles,

NTCR, cannot be used when OWA is behind a Proxy server.
Basic Authentication must be enabled on the OWA server AND
the Proxy server if this is a separate machine.

Please refer to the following KB article which offers and
explanation for this:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q250/6/57.
asp

Of course, if security is a concern, you may want to
implement SSL. This is the most secure method.

You can refer to more information on OWA using SSL at:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q234/0/22.
asp

Melissa

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>How do you successfully configure the system(s) to allow
OWA to be accessed
>using NT Challange / Response? We are using Exchange 5.5,
Proxy 2.0, and NT
>4.0. The configuration is as follows:

>Domain A has Proxy, Exchange, and IIS installed. IIS is
set to authenticate
>users using Domain B.

>THanks

>.

1. How do you configure OWA to use NTCR

How do you successfully configure the system(s) to allow OWA to be accessed
using NT Challange / Response? We are using Exchange 5.5, Proxy 2.0, and NT
4.0. The configuration is as follows:

Domain A has Proxy, Exchange, and IIS installed. IIS is set to authenticate
users using Domain B.

THanks

2. opening attachments causes exchange to hang

3. List of Mailboxes/Phone List

4. ISMTPOnArrival Sink can not shell out of VBScript

5. Configuring Outlook folders for off-line usage without doing individually

6. Outlook notification of new message

7. Using/Configuring Resources to be used for meeting schedules

8. Using more than one ISP Can this be done

9. Can this be done using scripts/routing?

10. Can this be done using scripts/routing

11. Using more than one ISP Can this be done