OWA - Everybody can access everybody's e-mail

OWA - Everybody can access everybody's e-mail

Post by John Bruggema » Wed, 17 Jan 2001 01:03:01

First there were problems te connect to OWA, now everyone can connect to
eachother's mailbox.
I can't write everyting I've done, because it would take up several pages, mainly
I've followed the 'Troubleshooting Guide of OWA', which seems to successfull.
Authentication method is basic text (because I want to implement SSL and because
NTLM cannot be used)

When user1 logs on to a Win95 pc, with credentials user1
he connects to OWA thru IE5.5 (\\server\exchange)
enters username and password (user1) in the network connection dialog
types user2 mailbox in logon box on OWA page
enters username and password (user1) in network connection dialog
He enters user2 his mailbox, without any errors.
This happens to all users, in every thinkable way.

Because this is not what I wanted, and because I shouldn't know which security
setting is allowing this it would be great if someone could help me out.

Thanks

OWA - Everybody can access everybody's e-mail

Post by Dave Keffe » Thu, 18 Jan 2001 07:19:05

We had that happening here when we first ran Exchange but not in the OWA. It was
permissions on the Site. Someone with permissions had added an everyone group
there so they had inherent permissions down from that object. Check permissions
on Organization, Site, and Configuration. as well as the Information store. There
should not be a group with permissions and the group have everyone in the Domain
in it. This lets everyone to everyone's mailbox that has a login.
Quote:-----Original Message-----

[...]

.

1. Seeing Everybody's Inbox

We have a requirement to be able to Open Another User Calendar folder to
check if they have any appointments or will be out of the office.  This
should be the only folder that should be shareable.  I have checked the
permissions on the Mailbox folder, Inbox and standard Calendar folder and
they all have the same permission: Name - Default, Role: None.   I would
think this set up should allow no access, but just the reverse happens:
everybody can see everybody's entire Mailbox.

We have Exchange 5.5 SP3 running with a mix of Outlook Clients (OL2K, OL98
and OL97) running on all flavors of Windows (Win95, Win98, Win NT 4, Win2K).

All of the posts seem to deal with adding permissions, how can I take them
away.  Any help would be grateful, we have had an embarrassing instance due
to this situation.

Thanks in advance.
Dean

2. multidomain owa

3. Updating everybody's Schedule??

4. Problems with 5.0 Store.exe

5. Everybody access other mailboxes.

6. Error Code 0xC1037AE6

7. OWA but not for everybody

8. Default email account

9. Mail been spread to everybody!!!

10. ADC did not mail enable everybody

11. Sending e-mail to everybody

12. Stupid users sent stupid mails to everybody or many other users

13. How to send mail to everybody?