Multiple Domains on Exchange 5.x ?

Post by Toon van der Struij » Fri, 16 May 1997 04:00:00

Hi everybody,

I am new to this newsgroup, so what I want to ask may be asked over a dozen
times before. Nevertheless, here's my question:

Is MS Exchange 5.x capable of hosting multiple domains (with different
IP-addreses) on a single computer regarding internet mail.
On the Microsoft site, I cannot find information on this subject.
The reason for my question:
My company is part of a group of companies, and all these companies (5)
want to invest in a new (more powerful) NT Internet Server based on
Microsoft Technology. We all have different domain names for the web and
they can all be hosted by IIS using multiple IP-addresses (we do this now
on a poor Pentium90 NT Machine, and it works). But does this apply, that
Exchange can host multiple domains for Internet Mail (perhaps on the same
basis as IIS does)?.

Please let me know

Regards,

| Toon van der Struijk       POINTER INTERACTIEVE MEDIA |
| tel: (+31) 015-268 25 40   Kluyverweg 2a              |

|                            http://www.pointer.nl      |

Multiple Domains on Exchange 5.x ?

Post by Steve J. W. Geise » Fri, 16 May 1997 04:00:00

Hi Toon:

If you want to have internet mail routed through the Exchange servers you
plan to implement, that is not a problem.  You can set up as many internet
mail connectors as you would like pointing to which ever domain you choose.
 If it's only one exchange server on a NT server with two different IPs
then that's not a problem provided your MX record for your DNS has the
exchange server listed for both IPs.

(note you'd only be able to install one internet mail connector and would
have to configure each user's email address to have the appropriate SMTP
address listed if you go the one server/one internet mail connector route)

Thanks,
Steve Geisel, MCSE

> Hi everybody,

> I am new to this newsgroup, so what I want to ask may be asked over a
dozen
> times before. Nevertheless, here's my question:

> Is MS Exchange 5.x capable of hosting multiple domains (with different
> IP-addreses) on a single computer regarding internet mail.
> On the Microsoft site, I cannot find information on this subject.
> The reason for my question:
> My company is part of a group of companies, and all these companies (5)
> want to invest in a new (more powerful) NT Internet Server based on
> Microsoft Technology. We all have different domain names for the web and
> they can all be hosted by IIS using multiple IP-addresses (we do this now
> on a poor Pentium90 NT Machine, and it works). But does this apply, that
> Exchange can host multiple domains for Internet Mail (perhaps on the same
> basis as IIS does)?.

> Please let me know

> Regards,
> --

> +-------------------------------------------------------+
> | Toon van der Struijk       POINTER INTERACTIEVE MEDIA |
> | tel: (+31) 015-268 25 40   Kluyverweg 2a              |

> |                            http://www.pointer.nl      |
> +-------------------------------------------------------+

Multiple Domains on Exchange 5.x ?

Post by Jeffrey Kohl » Sat, 17 May 1997 04:00:00

Yes and Yes.   Exchange looks at the recipient and does not focus on the
domain name.  Each user can have multiple addresses, but it looks at the
user id instead of the domain name.

Jeff

--
Jeff Kohls
Lansoft USA

www.lansoft.com

Quote:

> Is MS Exchange 5.x capable of hosting multiple domains (with different
> IP-addreses) on a single computer regarding internet mail.

1. multiple domain box, multiple domain mail?

Hey all -
I am currently hosting multiple domains on a windows 2000
AS machine - one main domain (domain1.com), and some
secondary domains with host headers (www.domain2.com,
www.domain3.com) all on one IP. I also have Exchange 2000
installed on the box with active directory integration.
My question is if it is possible to set up mailboxes

how?

in advance!!! :)
Shawn

2. Re-locate Exchange 2000 Server

3. Multiple Domains/ Multiple domain mailboxes?

4. Client connectivity problems

5. Help with configuring Exchange 2000 - Multiple Domains/Multiple Information Stores

6. DS_E_INSUFFICIENT_ACCESS_RIGHTS

7. Exchange MDBDATA log files

8. 1 OWA server for multiple Exchange server in multiple domains

9. Webmail with multiple exchange servers in multiple domains

10. Exchange 5.5 on Win2k (multiple domains vs multiple sites)

11. Multiple Exchange Servers Across Multiple NT Domains

12. Help with configuring Exchange 2000 - Multiple Domains/Multiple Information Stores