mailbox archiving

Post by Georgi » Tue, 29 Oct 2002 09:52:42

Hello everyone, help desperatly needed and most appreciated.

My exchange maintenance administration is probably not the way it is
supposed to be preformed, the only way I knew of due to not having
experience or training in this area. Any Information on courses/ resources
how I can get trained up would be most appreciated also.

The problem:
I am running exchange 5.5 sp2 and had approx 30 users mailboxes. I created
.pst files for 7 ex-staff members that have left the company and then
deleted the recipents mailboxes from exchange.
The reason I have deleted these mailboxes is to make some hdd space on a
very full exchange box, which stopped services last week due to no hdd
space.
The problem I have discovered is after deleting these mailboxes which total
1gb, is it has not gained any hdd space.
The .pst files have been saved on a seperate pc, and what I want to know is
do I need to do something else beside just deleting mailboxes to gain HDD
space?

Georgia

mailbox archiving

Post by Tom Meunie » Tue, 29 Oct 2002 15:23:00

It's not that critical.  Your Exchange database will take up the same amount
of hard drive space, but you will have a whole bunch of white space in there
now, that will fill up with any new data, before the database begins to
grow.  Look for event 1221 in your app log when the IS starts - it will tell
you how much white space is in there.  You can use ESEUTIL to get rid of the
white space, but your database will only expand again...

--
-tom

Quote:> Hello everyone, help desperatly needed and most appreciated.

> My exchange maintenance administration is probably not the way it is
> supposed to be preformed, the only way I knew of due to not having
> experience or training in this area. Any Information on courses/ resources
> how I can get trained up would be most appreciated also.

> The problem:
> I am running exchange 5.5 sp2 and had approx 30 users mailboxes. I created
> .pst files for 7 ex-staff members that have left the company and then
> deleted the recipents mailboxes from exchange.
> The reason I have deleted these mailboxes is to make some hdd space on a
> very full exchange box, which stopped services last week due to no hdd
> space.
> The problem I have discovered is after deleting these mailboxes which
total
> 1gb, is it has not gained any hdd space.
> The .pst files have been saved on a seperate pc, and what I want to know
is
> do I need to do something else beside just deleting mailboxes to gain HDD
> space?

> Georgia

mailbox archiving

Post by Georgi » Wed, 30 Oct 2002 07:53:47

Thanks Tom,
I have viewed the event log and it states The database has 17 megabytes of
free space after online defragmentation has terminated.
I still do not understand that only that much is available if I have deleted
mailboxes that totalled just under 1 gb.
If I am to buy a new hdd how easy is it to move the mailbox data base?
currently my exchange is setup on 2 partitions..1 being 1.95 gb with 700mb
remaining and 2nd partition 10gb with 26mb remaining.
Sorry for all the questions, I am quite new to this.
Are there any web sites you may know of that would help me in this?

Thanks Again
Kind regards,
Georgia

> It's not that critical.  Your Exchange database will take up the same
amount
> of hard drive space, but you will have a whole bunch of white space in
there
> now, that will fill up with any new data, before the database begins to
> grow.  Look for event 1221 in your app log when the IS starts - it will
tell
> you how much white space is in there.  You can use ESEUTIL to get rid of
the
> white space, but your database will only expand again...

> --
> -tom

> > Hello everyone, help desperatly needed and most appreciated.

> > My exchange maintenance administration is probably not the way it is
> > supposed to be preformed, the only way I knew of due to not having
> > experience or training in this area. Any Information on courses/
resources
> > how I can get trained up would be most appreciated also.

> > The problem:
> > I am running exchange 5.5 sp2 and had approx 30 users mailboxes. I
created
> > .pst files for 7 ex-staff members that have left the company and then
> > deleted the recipents mailboxes from exchange.
> > The reason I have deleted these mailboxes is to make some hdd space on a
> > very full exchange box, which stopped services last week due to no hdd
> > space.
> > The problem I have discovered is after deleting these mailboxes which
> total
> > 1gb, is it has not gained any hdd space.
> > The .pst files have been saved on a seperate pc, and what I want to know
> is
> > do I need to do something else beside just deleting mailboxes to gain
HDD
> > space?

> > Georgia

mailbox archiving

Post by Tom Meunie » Thu, 31 Oct 2002 01:36:10

Sure!
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/exchange/cont...
tepapers/perfopt.asp

Link will wrap, I guess.
--
-tom

> Thanks Tom,
> I have viewed the event log and it states The database has 17 megabytes of
> free space after online defragmentation has terminated.
> I still do not understand that only that much is available if I have
deleted
> mailboxes that totalled just under 1 gb.
> If I am to buy a new hdd how easy is it to move the mailbox data base?
> currently my exchange is setup on 2 partitions..1 being 1.95 gb with 700mb
> remaining and 2nd partition 10gb with 26mb remaining.
> Sorry for all the questions, I am quite new to this.
> Are there any web sites you may know of that would help me in this?

> Thanks Again
> Kind regards,
> Georgia

> > It's not that critical.  Your Exchange database will take up the same
> amount
> > of hard drive space, but you will have a whole bunch of white space in
> there
> > now, that will fill up with any new data, before the database begins to
> > grow.  Look for event 1221 in your app log when the IS starts - it will
> tell
> > you how much white space is in there.  You can use ESEUTIL to get rid of
> the
> > white space, but your database will only expand again...

> > --
> > -tom

> > > Hello everyone, help desperatly needed and most appreciated.

> > > My exchange maintenance administration is probably not the way it is
> > > supposed to be preformed, the only way I knew of due to not having
> > > experience or training in this area. Any Information on courses/
> resources
> > > how I can get trained up would be most appreciated also.

> > > The problem:
> > > I am running exchange 5.5 sp2 and had approx 30 users mailboxes. I
> created
> > > .pst files for 7 ex-staff members that have left the company and then
> > > deleted the recipents mailboxes from exchange.
> > > The reason I have deleted these mailboxes is to make some hdd space on
> > > very full exchange box, which stopped services last week due to no hdd
> > > space.
> > > The problem I have discovered is after deleting these mailboxes which
> > total
> > > 1gb, is it has not gained any hdd space.
> > > The .pst files have been saved on a seperate pc, and what I want to
know
> > is
> > > do I need to do something else beside just deleting mailboxes to gain
> HDD
> > > space?

> > > Georgia

mailbox archiving

Post by Georgi » Fri, 08 Nov 2002 09:34:39

Thanks Tom,
most appreciated

Quote:> Sure!

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/exchange/cont...
> tepapers/perfopt.asp

> Link will wrap, I guess.
> --
> -tom

> > Thanks Tom,
> > I have viewed the event log and it states The database has 17 megabytes
of
> > free space after online defragmentation has terminated.
> > I still do not understand that only that much is available if I have
> deleted
> > mailboxes that totalled just under 1 gb.
> > If I am to buy a new hdd how easy is it to move the mailbox data base?
> > currently my exchange is setup on 2 partitions..1 being 1.95 gb with
700mb
> > remaining and 2nd partition 10gb with 26mb remaining.
> > Sorry for all the questions, I am quite new to this.
> > Are there any web sites you may know of that would help me in this?

> > Thanks Again
> > Kind regards,
> > Georgia

> > > It's not that critical.  Your Exchange database will take up the same
> > amount
> > > of hard drive space, but you will have a whole bunch of white space in
> > there
> > > now, that will fill up with any new data, before the database begins
> > > grow.  Look for event 1221 in your app log when the IS starts - it
will
> > tell
> > > you how much white space is in there.  You can use ESEUTIL to get rid
of
> > the
> > > white space, but your database will only expand again...

> > > --
> > > -tom

> > resources

> > created
> > > total
> know
> > > is
> > HDD

1. Mailbox Archiving

[...]

2. SMTP Connection to ISP Drops!

3. Mailbox archiving

4. Exchange 5.5 routing versus Exchange 2000 recipient policies.

5. mailbox archiving

6. Problems moving Exchange to new server

7. E2K Open Relay - solved except for primary domain

8. Mailbox archiving

9. mailbox archive duration

10. Mailbox archiving

11. Mailbox Archiving