Win95 Exchange client dropped via RAS and that freaking Enter Password dialog

Post by shenr » Fri, 13 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> Dave,

> I've had similar problems in a comparable environment (minus Netware).
> We're using Win95 laptops and using the Outlook client, we experienced some
> of the problems you discuss plus one additional annoyance. We corrected the
> RAS problem by switching modems on the laptops (we were using Xircom
> Ethernet+Modem 33.6 on NECs) - phtt - problem went away. My suggestion
> would be to try at least one different modem type.

> The other problem we experience is with authentication. After Outlook is
> loaded, the user selects "Tools -> Check for New Mail" which invokes RAS.
> The system dials and logs in to the NT domain properly, then pops a user
> authencation dialog on the screen prompting for Username, Domain, and
> password for the Exchange Server. The end user cannot activate the damned
> dialog to enter any information. I can't believe I haven't seen any MS KB
> hits or any newsgroup discussion - either I'm missing an awfully big boat
> or it's one of these $150 / incident secrets.

> Have you run into this situation?

> Cheers,
> Doug Snell

> > I'm having major problems with my people who use RAS.  They regularly get
> > dropped, sometimes 7 times in a row.

With our outlook clients, we tell  the users to work offline and then
synchronize all folders after they have established a connection to the
network.  This works well if they are able to get in. (see article
Q150051, 'Erratic Domain Logon from Windows 95 Dial-up Networking')