XP/Exch 5.5 - Client will not verify name and hangs

XP/Exch 5.5 - Client will not verify name and hangs

Post by Miles Crawfor » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 01:19:19

Have an SBS 4.5 server running exchange.

Just installed Windows XP to the computer (fresh load not
an upgrade) and when I configure the Exchange client in
Outlook 2000, it will not check the server name or the
user name. The computer just hangs. No error message even
after 30 minutes.

If I remove the exchange client, internet email is
retrievable and works fine.

I have checked error logs on client and server, removed
the client from the domain and readded it back, reloaded
office 2000. I also tried removing all services except
for the exchange client, recreated the profile from
scratch. No luck.

It is as if there is no exchange server available to this
computer. But I never get an error message. It connects
to all of the other resources on the domain as far as I
can tell.

I would appreciate any ideas. Collect phone calls even
appreciated since I've reached the end of my rope. 509-
979-8766

Thanks

Miles Crawford

XP/Exch 5.5 - Client will not verify name and hangs

Post by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 01:35:05

Can you ping the Exchange server by name? Using DNS as a lookup to WINS?

> Have an SBS 4.5 server running exchange.

> Just installed Windows XP to the computer (fresh load not
> an upgrade) and when I configure the Exchange client in
> Outlook 2000, it will not check the server name or the
> user name. The computer just hangs. No error message even
> after 30 minutes.

> If I remove the exchange client, internet email is
> retrievable and works fine.

> I have checked error logs on client and server, removed
> the client from the domain and readded it back, reloaded
> office 2000. I also tried removing all services except
> for the exchange client, recreated the profile from
> scratch. No luck.

> It is as if there is no exchange server available to this
> computer. But I never get an error message. It connects
> to all of the other resources on the domain as far as I
> can tell.

> I would appreciate any ideas. Collect phone calls even
> appreciated since I've reached the end of my rope. 509-
> 979-8766

> Thanks

> Miles Crawford

XP/Exch 5.5 - Client will not verify name and hangs

Post by Miles Crawfor » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 02:30:29

Yes, I can ping the exchange server by name.

I'm not sure what you mean by "DNS as a lookup to WINS."
The client addresses are obtained by DHCP but I didn't
think WINS was doing anything on this network. :) Maybe
I'm wrong?

This is the 1st XP PC in the office so I don't even have
another working one to compare it to. Although, I've
connectd XP PC's to Exchange in other offices with no
problems.

Ug...

Post by Miles Crawfor » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 04:31:39

I'm thoroughly frustrated.

I've gone through just about every MSKB article I can
find. Have removed TCP/IP and reinstalled it, looked at
the RPC binding orders, made sure all of the client
protocols are in the registry, downloaded a couple of RPC
fixes from the Microsoft site.

I've got things to the point where when i clikc on "check
name" it immediately responds with "The name could not be
resolved. network problems are preventing connection to
the Microsoft Exchange Server Computer. Contact your
system administrator...."

I'm sure this is a very simple issue but I can't put my
finger on it. I'm to the point that I'm going to try
reloading WINXP and see what happens.

I sure hope someone has another option for me.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Have an SBS 4.5 server running exchange.

>Just installed Windows XP to the computer (fresh load
not
>an upgrade) and when I configure the Exchange client in
>Outlook 2000, it will not check the server name or the
>user name. The computer just hangs. No error message
even
>after 30 minutes.

>If I remove the exchange client, internet email is
>retrievable and works fine.

>I have checked error logs on client and server, removed
>the client from the domain and readded it back, reloaded
>office 2000. I also tried removing all services except
>for the exchange client, recreated the profile from
>scratch. No luck.

>It is as if there is no exchange server available to
this
>computer. But I never get an error message. It connects
>to all of the other resources on the domain as far as I
>can tell.

>I would appreciate any ideas. Collect phone calls even
>appreciated since I've reached the end of my rope. 509-
>979-8766

>Thanks

>Miles Crawford
>.

XP/Exch 5.5 - Client will not verify name and hangs

Post by Mile » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 06:16:06

I made it work!

There were some patches to the RPC components i found in
the download sections and miraculously after loading them,
it all worked as advertised!!!!

Thanks Lanwench!

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Have an SBS 4.5 server running exchange.

>Just installed Windows XP to the computer (fresh load not
>an upgrade) and when I configure the Exchange client in
>Outlook 2000, it will not check the server name or the
>user name. The computer just hangs. No error message even
>after 30 minutes.

>If I remove the exchange client, internet email is
>retrievable and works fine.

>I have checked error logs on client and server, removed
>the client from the domain and readded it back, reloaded
>office 2000. I also tried removing all services except
>for the exchange client, recreated the profile from
>scratch. No luck.

>It is as if there is no exchange server available to this
>computer. But I never get an error message. It connects
>to all of the other resources on the domain as far as I
>can tell.

>I would appreciate any ideas. Collect phone calls even
>appreciated since I've reached the end of my rope. 509-
>979-8766

>Thanks

>Miles Crawford
>.

XP/Exch 5.5 - Client will not verify name and hangs

Post by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:48:24

Are you not running WINS?

> Yes, I can ping the exchange server by name.

> I'm not sure what you mean by "DNS as a lookup to WINS."
> The client addresses are obtained by DHCP but I didn't
> think WINS was doing anything on this network. :) Maybe
> I'm wrong?

> This is the 1st XP PC in the office so I don't even have
> another working one to compare it to. Although, I've
> connectd XP PC's to Exchange in other offices with no
> problems.

> Ug...

>>> Thanks

>>> Miles Crawford

>> .

XP/Exch 5.5 - Client will not verify name and hangs

Post by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:49:13

Glad it's working :-)

> I made it work!

> There were some patches to the RPC components i found in
> the download sections and miraculously after loading them,
> it all worked as advertised!!!!

> Thanks Lanwench!

1. Outook 2K client on Win XP Pro machine Not seeing Exch 5.5

My client has Windows 2000 Server with Exchange 5.5.  PDC is Windows NT 4
sp6a.  Two Workstaions are Win XP Pro running Outlook 2000 client.   All are
currently patched.
The problem I'm having is when I try to configure Mail in control panel I
get an error
stating that it cannot valid user credentials.  If I try log off and logon
as Administrator it finds server and fines admin user. When I try doing this
as user i get the error.  I already made the network user a local admin and
added her user name to local security (to help troubleshoot problem).
This is happening to two users both are using winXP.  On their old WinNT 4
Wkst it works fine.. It must be XP pro.  I checked connectivity to the
server (pinging. etc).  Both wksts and server and see each other.  I found
some registry hacks on MS Tech Net but none worked.

It seems that  logged on as user i cannot resolve the Exchange server so i
tried IP address... still no luck.  Any ideas.

Thanks in Advance.
rob

2. Exchange SP2 : Setup fails at line 137 in server.ins

3. SBS 4.5 Client will not verify Name in mail setup

4. exchange 2K on XP?

5. Deleting multiple records hangs Outlook clients connect to Exch 5.5 SP4

6. Custom Fields in Exchange or VBA and SQL Server Database

7. New XP Pro CLient can't check name on exchange 5.5

8. No 1221 Events in App Log

9. verify, verify, verify

10. exchange 5.5 server cannot verify user name

11. Exch 5.5: Recipient name is not recogniced etc.

12. Exchange 2000, Outlook XP on Windows XP hangs

13. Outlook XP not connecting/hanging when connecting to Exchange 2000