Unix user direct access to Exchange 2000 mailbox

Unix user direct access to Exchange 2000 mailbox

Post by Dan » Sat, 14 Apr 2001 05:37:57

We have several Unix users, and they want to access the Exchange Server 2000
like they access their Sendmail server.  Is there a way for them to directly
access their Exchange Server mailbox without using OWA and without using an
Internet Browser?

Thanks

Dan

Unix user direct access to Exchange 2000 mailbox

Post by MVP » Sun, 15 Apr 2001 20:26:27

You would need a mail client that is compatible with Exchange. If your
downloading mail from the server to the client then POP3 could be used. If
the mail needs to stay on the server it maybe mapi or what ever Exchange
supports.

Check to see what your client and Exchange support.

Regards
Andrew Sword.

Quote:> We have several Unix users, and they want to access the Exchange Server
2000
> like they access their Sendmail server.  Is there a way for them to
directly
> access their Exchange Server mailbox without using OWA and without using
an
> Internet Browser?

> Thanks

> Dan

1. Direct failed inbound mail to Admin mailbox under Exchange 2000

We just recently upgraded to Exchange 2000 from Exchange 5.5. Under Exchange
5.5, any missaddressed mail coming into the server was deposited in the
Administrator mailbox that was configured in the Internet mail connector.
Although this processed a lot of mail and was sometimes a pain, I had some
rules set up to delete mail that was addressed to former employees, etc. I
monitored this mailbox for mail that was missaddressed and many times would
forward mail to the obvious intended recipient.

I cannot find out how to accomplish this under Exchange 2000. I have gone to
the properties of the Default SMTP server in the Exchange system manager and
configured the messages tab. There is a field called "Send copy of
non-delivery report to:" in which I have put the address of the
administrator mailbox. This only populates the administrator mailbox with
the non delivery report that it sent to the sender. There is also a field
for a "Bad Mail Directory" which points to C:\Program
Files\Exchsrvr\Mailroot\vsi 1\BadMail . If I go to this directory, there is
where all of the failed messages reside. Each message seems to be composed
of three parts, a .BAD, .BDP and .DDR file. I can open up the .BAD file with
notepad and see the unformatted message.

Does anyone know of an easier way to read these failed messages, or how to
redirect them to the Administrator mailbox as before?

Thanks,

Rod Miller

2. Outlook for Mac Questions

3. Exchange 2000 Administrator Access to User Mailboxes

4. Default SMTP domain

5. Can I setup a Exchange 2000 Server on Windows 2000 Server (without Active Direct

6. GAL

7. Help Migrating Ex/Outlk 2000 users to UNIX IMAP

8. Send on behalf of.

9. Accessing users' mailboxes in Outlook 2000

10. Activating user password to access its mailbox via Outlook 2000 doesn't work

11. Cannot create Outlook 2000 profile to access Exchange 2000 mailbox