Sharing contacts using Outlook 2000 & Exchange 2000

Sharing contacts using Outlook 2000 & Exchange 2000

Post by Scott O » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 23:54:31

We have an Exchange 2000 server, and using Public
Folders.  People access it with Outlook 2000 or OWA.
Let's say we have two users that both have contacts
folders in the Public Folders range.  So there is a User1
and a User2 public folder.  Sometimes we have the need to
have a contact in both Users public folders.  I know we
could create a third general contacts folder for both to
access, but this would be unmanageable for us.

The problem is, if User1 updates a contact in theirs that
also happens to be a contact in User2, the updates
logically don't take place in User2's contacts public
folder.  So, is there a way to create one contact and
then have some sort of link to each of the users public
folders to show this user.  So that if either user
updates a certain contact it updates the main one - so
that any links will reflect the changes.  Any way of
doing something like this?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

Scott

Sharing contacts using Outlook 2000 & Exchange 2000

Post by Lanwenc » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 00:14:28

I don't know of any way to do this, at least not without doing a lot of
custom programming...it sounds a bit unmanageable. This isn't a relational
database we're talkin', here.

Why not merge the two public contacts folders together into a single folder,
and use categories to sort/filter the data when you need to? You can still
use folder permissions to control who can change/delete what...

See http://www.slipstick.com/dev/olforms/reqcat.htm for a way to keep this
simple & organized.

Quote:> We have an Exchange 2000 server, and using Public
> Folders.  People access it with Outlook 2000 or OWA.
> Let's say we have two users that both have contacts
> folders in the Public Folders range.  So there is a User1
> and a User2 public folder.  Sometimes we have the need to
> have a contact in both Users public folders.  I know we
> could create a third general contacts folder for both to
> access, but this would be unmanageable for us.

> The problem is, if User1 updates a contact in theirs that
> also happens to be a contact in User2, the updates
> logically don't take place in User2's contacts public
> folder.  So, is there a way to create one contact and
> then have some sort of link to each of the users public
> folders to show this user.  So that if either user
> updates a certain contact it updates the main one - so
> that any links will reflect the changes.  Any way of
> doing something like this?

> Hope this makes sense.

> Thanks,

> Scott

1. Sharing an Outlook Contact List with a network using Exchange Server 2000

Greetings,

I have a requirement within my network to have a Shared Contact Database
that is accessible and can be modified by the users, effectively creating a
Contact "pool" for the sales guys.

After hours of trying to figure this out I am resorting to asking the
question. Please Help!

Just like the MCSE exams here is the requirements:

Senario: Medium sized internet computer sales company would like to
collaborate individual staff members' contacts into a centeral area using
Exchange Server 2000. The managers of the company would prefer that some
contacts will only be visible by some staff members. Using Windows 2000
Professional with Outlook 2000 running off a Windows 2000 Server machine
with Exchange Server

Primary:

- The Mircosoft Exchange Server (which is also our PDC) must contain a
detailed contact database of our customers as a tool for sales reps.
- The database must be ready and capable for client machines to read, modify
and add contacts at thier own discresion.

Secondary:

- It would be preferable to have permissions for view control or filters on
certain contacts at a per user level. I.e. Managers have ability to see all
contacts, Accounts see account contacts, sales see customers etc.

---------

If you have any ideas how I might get this completed or any clues I might
use I would greatly appreciate the assistance.

Thanks for your time and best regards,

Arran Faithfull

2. Whats this event in my Application Log?

3. Contact Management Using Outlook 2000 & Exchange 5.5

4. Backup of Exchange 5.0 fails with 'Services not started' error

5. Contact Management using Exchange 2000 & Outlook 2002

6. Unknown Error in WorkFlow

7. Searching contacts using EntryId from Exchange 2000 using Exchange 2000 SDK

8. How can I run a fax, answering machine, and mouse?

9. Forwarding from Public Folders to external contacts using Outlook 2000/Exchange 2000

10. Contacts sharing with Outlook 2000 and Exchange 5.5

11. Outlook 2000 email to shared contact folder as activity

12. Outlook 2000 shared contacts not working

13. Problem sharing contacts with Outlook 2000