Remote Clients uing Outlook for Exchange email behind Firewall

Remote Clients uing Outlook for Exchange email behind Firewall

Post by TXG » Sun, 17 Feb 2002 07:17:54

A client has Exchange server 5.5 and 10 users internally
attaching to it. Now they want to setup remote users of
this company to retrieve their mail using Outlook client.
Is there a way to get the remote users to use their
Outlook clients to send email to a Exchange server and not
allow anyone else outside the company (possible
spammers)?  Is the best way jsut to use a VPN with a
firewall (which they have), but didn't know what
performance issues this may cause or force them to use OWA?

Thanks,
TXG

Remote Clients uing Outlook for Exchange email behind Firewall

Post by MVP » Mon, 18 Feb 2002 15:40:35

All depend on your requiremnts.

You can have:
1) VPN
2) RAS
3) OWA

Regards
Andrew Sword, MVP.

Quote:> A client has Exchange server 5.5 and 10 users internally
> attaching to it. Now they want to setup remote users of
> this company to retrieve their mail using Outlook client.
> Is there a way to get the remote users to use their
> Outlook clients to send email to a Exchange server and not
> allow anyone else outside the company (possible
> spammers)?  Is the best way jsut to use a VPN with a
> firewall (which they have), but didn't know what
> performance issues this may cause or force them to use OWA?

> Thanks,
> TXG

1. connect outlook client to exchange 2000 behind a firewall

Hello,

1 windows 2000 DC server and 1 ex2k server both are behind a linksys
dsl/router firewall.
I want to connect outlook 2000 client from the outside through the firewall.
the firewall have the necessary ports mapped to the exchange server as
Q270836 stated.

Problem encountered:
when setting up mail profile for exchange server on outlook, it prompts me
for the username, password and domain.  I enter them and get the following
warning:
"The name could not be resolved.  The name could not be matched to a name in
the address list."

It seems the return rpc is unable to communicate with my GC server for the
name, since ex2k is not running on the GC server.  I can do OWA just fine
from the outside.  The problem seems to be port mapping at the firewall end
right?

do i have to specific a port on the GC server and map this port on the
firewall?

Thank you!
Travis,

2. replicating and c1030898

3. outlook client behind the firewall

4. LDAP search based on Organization unit

5. Exchange Transfer Agent Service won't start (NT4, Exchange 5.5.)

6. POP3 CLIENT NEEDS TO ACCESS MAIL FROM EXCHANGE SERVER BEHIND A FIREWALL

7. 2 domains with the same mail extention

8. Outlook 98 vs Outlook 2000 behind a firewall...

9. Remote connection issues uing satellite

10. How to send email to an Exchange Server (2000) behind firewall with a public IP address

11. email with exchange 5.5 to a mail server behind a firewall

12. Outlook to Exchange behind firewall