Exchange allow sharing of modem in domain?

Exchange allow sharing of modem in domain?

Post by E Sart » Sun, 15 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Can Exchange Server allow sharing of a modem in a server in a domain? What I
wanted to know if Exchange allows a client workstation (in the same domain)
to fax via a modem installed in the PDC domain server.
Regards,
Manny Sarte

Post by Rich Matheis » Mon, 16 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>Can Exchange Server allow sharing of a modem in a server in a domain? What I
>wanted to know if Exchange allows a client workstation (in the same domain)
>to fax via a modem installed in the PDC domain server.

Exchange uses RAS to handle modems. Modem sharing is available with
TAPI, but since Exchange 5.0 was usable with NT 3.51 (where TAPI
didn't exist) it wasn't possible to have RAS share a modem.

I don't know if RAS supports this function in NT4.0, but I somehow
doubt that it does.

Post by Carol Chisho » Sat, 21 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>>Can Exchange Server allow sharing of a modem in a server in a domain? What I
>>wanted to know if Exchange allows a client workstation (in the same domain)
>>to fax via a modem installed in the PDC domain server.

>Exchange uses RAS to handle modems. Modem sharing is available with
>TAPI, but since Exchange 5.0 was usable with NT 3.51 (where TAPI
>didn't exist) it wasn't possible to have RAS share a modem.

>I don't know if RAS supports this function in NT4.0, but I somehow
>doubt that it does.

>Richard Matheisen                           Wang Laboratories
>Microsoft Certified System Engineer         Tewksbury, MA USA

I think you'l find that RRAS does this, if youi download it from
Microsoft.
Carol Chisholm
Carol Chisholm

1. Share modem, ISDN and cable modem 10968

Do you want to share ONE Internet connection with the rest in your Family or office?
SYGATE is the software to do that.

With features like Dial-On-Demand, it will connect your LAN to the ISP if
and only if there is access from your LAN to the Internet.

It is easier to use than proxy servers in that it doesn't require the setup in
each and everyone of your applications running on your PCs.

Free download from www.sygate.com

With one phone line, one modem and one ISP account, everyone in your office
or family can access the Internet from their own machine.

It works for Analog, ISDN modem and Cable modems.

                                                                                                        10968

2. Exmerge

3. Share modem, ISDN and cable modem 10971

4. Directory Service Account

5. Share modem, ISDN and cable modem 10969

6. Transferring Domains

7. Share modem, ISDN and cable modem 10975

8. ISA Server and Exch2003

9. Share modem, ISDN and cable modem 10972

10. Integrated Faxing and Modem Sharing with Exchange?

11. Allowing child domain users to use Exchange 2000 in root domain

12. How to share modems on a RAS server?

13. Paging, Faxing, and Modem Sharing