Outlook 2000 and Exchange Server 5.5 - You cannot create entries for this addressbook

Outlook 2000 and Exchange Server 5.5 - You cannot create entries for this addressbook

Post by Anders Eliasso » Sat, 06 Nov 1999 04:00:00

When I'm trying to add addresses to the Global Address List I get this message
"You cannot create entries for this addressbook"

Is there a way to add entries from a workstation ?

I'm running Outlook 2000 on a NT 4.0 Workstation with Service Pack 5 in Swedish language versions. I also have administrative rights.

I'm running Exchange Server 5.5 with Service Pack 3 on at NT 4.0 with Service Pack 5 in English language version.

Thankful for help

Andy

Outlook 2000 and Exchange Server 5.5 - You cannot create entries for this addressbook

Post by Jonathan Reise » Sat, 06 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> When I'm trying to add addresses to the Global Address List I get
this =
> message
> "You cannot create entries for this addressbook"

> Is there a way to add entries from a workstation ?

> I'm running Outlook 2000 on a NT 4.0 Workstation with Service Pack 5
in =
> Swedish language versions. I also have administrative rights.

> I'm running Exchange Server 5.5 with Service Pack 3 on at NT 4.0 with
=
> Service Pack 5 in English language version.

> Thankful for help

> Andy

No, you cannot add using Outlook.  You can still use an NT workstation,
though.  Just install Microsoft Exchange Server from the CD and pick
Custom installation, and choose only "Microsoft Exchange
Administrator."  Use the Administrator program to modify the GAL.

I think the Back Office Resource Kit might have some extra tools that
allow you to play with the GAL, but have not seen any.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Amiri Jon » Sat, 06 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>When I'm trying to add addresses to the Global Address List I get this
>message "You cannot create entries for this addressbook"

>Is there a way to add entries from a workstation ?

>I'm running Outlook 2000 on a NT 4.0 Workstation with Service Pack 5 in
>Swedish language versions. I also have administrative rights.

>I'm running Exchange Server 5.5 with Service Pack 3 on at NT 4.0 with
>Service Pack 5 in English language version.

        The ONLY way to add entries to the Global Address List is to create a
mailbox or a custom recipient using the Exchange Administrator program.
You CANNOT create entries in the GAL using any client.  The Exchange
Administrator program can be installed on an NT Workstation machine; just
select a Custom installation and uncheck all boxes except Exchange
Administrator, and perhaps Books Online (not necessary, but recommended).
Since you're running Outlook 2000, you may have to reinstall it after
installing EA, but don't quote me on that.  You will also want to install
whatever Exchange service pack you have on your server on your workstation
as well.

1. Cannot create entries in Address Book on 5.5 server

Entries in the Global Address Book can be created only by the Exchange
Administrator program, not by the Outlook or Exchange client.
___
Sue Mosher
Author of "The Microsoft Outlook E-mail and Fax Guide"
Slipstick Systems, Moscow
http://www.slipstick.com/exchange/

I have created an Address Book on my 5.5 Server and cannot  create entries
in it.
When I attempt to I get the message -
"You cannot create entries for this Address Book".

I am the owner and have tried granting various rights to accounts to no
avail.

How do I make it so everyone can make and modify entries in this book?

2. Error with MAPI32.DLL (Help)

3. Backup/Restore

4. Multiply copies of email

5. Confidentially statement in all Email...

6. Cannot create Outlook 2000 profile to access Exchange 2000 mailbox