Sharing contacts in Outlook without going to Microsoft Exchange Server

Sharing contacts in Outlook without going to Microsoft Exchange Server

Post by Richard Chandle » Fri, 10 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I am running a small office system, of about 6 users, using a mixture of NT
and Windows 95 P.Cs. We are using Outlook 97, as our mail software. Now I
have installed a program called MDaemon as our Internet mail post office,
and that works fine with Outlook 97, we also use a Microsoft Workgroup Post
Office within the office, and that works fine also

There is just one extra thing the users would like, they would like to have
a shared contacts list, so that everybody in the office, can accces the
same global contacts list. Now I know you can do this with Microsoft
Exchange, but we are a budget organization and it is a bit expensive at
900 plus. I could also get the users to export and import the contact
lists to a central area, but that takes quite a lot of user involvement,
with exporting and importing each time the list is updated.

Does anyone know of any software, that can be added to Outlook, to enable
you to share contacts list, without going to the complexity of Microsoft
Exchange Server

I would appreciate any help with this, as I imagine a number of small
organizations have the same problem without going to the expense of
Exchange

Many Thanks

Richard Chandler

Sharing contacts in Outlook without going to Microsoft Exchange Server

Post by Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook » Fri, 10 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Take a look here, it may help:
http://www.slipstick.com/exchange/olshare.htm

>I am running a small office system, of about 6 users, using a mixture of NT
>and Windows 95 P.Cs. We are using Outlook 97, as our mail software. Now I
>have installed a program called MDaemon as our Internet mail post office,
>and that works fine with Outlook 97, we also use a Microsoft Workgroup Post
>Office within the office, and that works fine also

>There is just one extra thing the users would like, they would like to have
>a shared contacts list, so that everybody in the office, can accces the
>same global contacts list. Now I know you can do this with Microsoft
>Exchange, but we are a budget organization and it is a bit expensive at
>900 plus. I could also get the users to export and import the contact
>lists to a central area, but that takes quite a lot of user involvement,
>with exporting and importing each time the list is updated.

>Does anyone know of any software, that can be added to Outlook, to enable
>you to share contacts list, without going to the complexity of Microsoft
>Exchange Server

>I would appreciate any help with this, as I imagine a number of small
>organizations have the same problem without going to the expense of
>Exchange

1. How can i move or copy my microsoft outlook contact list to Microsoft Exchange S

Hello,

It is supposed to work this way: if you have your contacts in MAPI-Outlook
Contacts folder, they should be visible in your OWA Contacts folder  (you
can check Contact options in your OWA and Addressing oreder in your
Outlook).

Public Contacts folder shows primary  Contacts in OWA 5.5, please review
details at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q192775 .
So, if you want to access Publix Contacts folder from OWA 5.5,  you may need
to go into your Outlook client and export your addresses from your public
contacts to your primary contacts.

Regards,
Intermedia.NET (AI)
Microsoft Certified Solutions Provider
Providing expertise in hosting applications
MS Exchange Hosting: http://www.intermedia.net/exchangehosting
Windows 2000 Web Hosting:  http://www.intermedia.net/webhosting
For a waiver of the set up fee use "IMFREE" code

2. some internet recipients recieving multiple copies of emails

3. Sharing an Outlook Contact List with a network using Exchange Server 2000

4. New Exchange 2k Implementation?

5. Exchange Server 5.0 and Outlook 97 - Shared Contacts is SLOW

6. Arial font problem in Office 2000

7. How can i read exchange.ost file without exchange server contact

8. Outbound Netbios Connection

9. Can't get VB 5 to read outlook contacts on system without Exchange

10. Microsoft exchange server 5.5 mail will not come in but will go out

11. How to use CDONTS in VB application to send mail without using Microsoft Outlook

12. sharing of calendars and contacts with exchange and outlook

13. Exchange / Outlook and Shared Contacts