Outlook and Exchange over slow link

Post by Delf Mee » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 06:16:09

Hello. We are are using Exchange 5.5 and Outlook.  We have
several remote offices that connect into a central office
over a VPN.  Some offices, are on slow ISDN 128K
connections, with no alternatives available.  Many are
complaining about the slow response time it is taking to
open emails, specifically ones with semi-large attachments.

The only way I have found to speed up the process of
opening mail is to specify their mail be delivered to a
Personal Folder, rather than leave it on the exchange
server.  I don't like this idea because I cannot backup
their email.

Can someone suggest a way to improve the speed?  Is there
a way to have mail delivered to a PST file and still leave
it on the exchange server?  Any help/suggestions would be
appreciated.

Thanks,

Delf

Outlook and Exchange over slow link

Post by Jim Schwart » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 09:43:29

With the current versions of Outlook and Exchange there aren't any real good
ways to improve performance. Outlook doesn't work well in low bandwidth/high
latency networks. You should take the time to verify that your network is
working properly and you are getting all you paid for. Outlook 2003/Exchange
2003 is supposed to help correct some of these issues by allowing you to
work locally in cached mode. Until you are ready to go that route, you could
look at running Outlook on a terminal server or on Citrix. It's not a great
solution because of the additional costs and overhead, but it does work.

Quote:> Hello. We are are using Exchange 5.5 and Outlook.  We have
> several remote offices that connect into a central office
> over a VPN.  Some offices, are on slow ISDN 128K
> connections, with no alternatives available.  Many are
> complaining about the slow response time it is taking to
> open emails, specifically ones with semi-large attachments.

> The only way I have found to speed up the process of
> opening mail is to specify their mail be delivered to a
> Personal Folder, rather than leave it on the exchange
> server.  I don't like this idea because I cannot backup
> their email.

> Can someone suggest a way to improve the speed?  Is there
> a way to have mail delivered to a PST file and still leave
> it on the exchange server?  Any help/suggestions would be
> appreciated.

> Thanks,

> Delf

Outlook and Exchange over slow link

Post by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 12:17:24

I wouldn't go with a PST file - I'd sync all remote users to local OST
files, have them work offline all the time but with scheduled syncs. You'll
still have some problems with large attachments, but at least OL won't crash
in the middle of working on something online..

Or they could also use OWA.