Backing up Folders on M: drive

Post by Bryan Alle » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 07:02:02

I have tried to backup the MBX and Public folders on the
M: drive (with NTBackup)but get error messages to the
effect that the folders cannot be accessed. Numerous KB
documents say that file-level backup software should not
be used but don't indicate what software can be used.

Will NTBackup, supplied with Small Business Server, do the
job - if so what am I doing wrong?

Also, various attempts to change permissions/ownership on
these folders have failed to make any impression, However,
two user mailbox folders are accessible. Any ideas why?

Any help would be appreciated

Bryan Allen

Backing up Folders on M: drive

Post by MVP » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 08:57:04

Do not back up the M: drive.  It's not "real".

Searching TechNet for "IFS Exchange" (without the quotes) brings up all
sorts of interesting reading.

Missy Koslosky

I have tried to backup the MBX and Public folders on the
M: drive (with NTBackup)but get error messages to the
effect that the folders cannot be accessed. Numerous KB
documents say that file-level backup software should not
be used but don't indicate what software can be used.

Will NTBackup, supplied with Small Business Server, do the
job - if so what am I doing wrong?

Also, various attempts to change permissions/ownership on
these folders have failed to make any impression, However,
two user mailbox folders are accessible. Any ideas why?

Any help would be appreciated

Bryan Allen

Backing up Folders on M: drive

Post by Bryan Alle » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 09:21:56

Hi Missy

I realised that it was a virtual drive but couldn't see
where user mailboxes were being backed up from.

Still, I'll follow your advice and look in Technet

Thanks for the reply

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 10:11:06

>I have tried to backup the MBX and Public folders on the
>M: drive (with NTBackup)but get error messages to the
>effect that the folders cannot be accessed. Numerous KB
>documents say that file-level backup software should not
>be used but don't indicate what software can be used.

>Will NTBackup, supplied with Small Business Server, do the
>job - if so what am I doing wrong?

Do *NOT* backup the "M:" drive. Neither should you permit that deive
to be scanned by Anti-Virus software..

Quote:>Also, various attempts to change permissions/ownership on
>these folders have failed to make any impression, However,
>two user mailbox folders are accessible. Any ideas why?

Messing with ACLS is potentially damaging to the ACL, especially if
the account that'm making those modifications isn't mail- or
mailbox-enabled. The best advice to follow is to make believe that
drive doesn't exist.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/techinfo/deployment/2000/E2Krecover...

--
Corrections are welcome.
Please keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

Kirill