Deleting Messages from Inbox, Sent Items and Deleted Items

Deleting Messages from Inbox, Sent Items and Deleted Items

Post by Paul Cherr » Tue, 31 Oct 2000 20:01:46

We have a small Exchange server with two 2GB drives (I said it was small!)
with about 100 users, and we are beginning to run out of space.  What I
would like to do is to clean everybody's mail box by clearing messages out
of the Inbox, Sent Items and Deleted Items folder over a certain age.  The
Exchange utltity cleans old messages from EVERY folder, so this is not
practical.

Is there a way I can do a sweep of my Private information store to clear out
old messages?  Remember I do not want to clear out people's folders, only

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Tue, 31 Oct 2000 21:04:43

> We have a small Exchange server with two 2GB drives (I said it was small!)

Instead of comlpaining buy another HDD.

Quote:

> with about 100 users, and we are beginning to run out of space.  What I
> would like to do is to clean everybody's mail box by clearing messages out
> of the Inbox, Sent Items and Deleted Items folder over a certain age.  The
> Exchange utltity cleans old messages from EVERY folder, so this is not
> practical.

> Is there a way I can do a sweep of my Private information store to clear out
> old messages?  Remember I do not want to clear out people's folders, only
> the inbox, sent items and deleted items.

IMHO, this is really bad idea. Look, if user has several important 2KB messages
dated year 97 and message with 50 MB .avi file dated last week. Your solution
will make user unhappy in a big way. To avoid this set storage limits on
mailboxes and do not waste your time for managing your user's data

--
If you feel that anything in my post needs correction - feel free to do so.

Kirill

Deleting Messages from Inbox, Sent Items and Deleted Items

Post by Paul Cherr » Tue, 31 Oct 2000 23:04:08

Thanks for that - we don't need a new HDD now - I have found Mailbox Manager
which is with SP3 (which I have but didn't know about it).  For more info
see http://www.microsoft.com/technet/exchange/mailmg.asp

> > We have a small Exchange server with two 2GB drives (I said it was
small!)

> Instead of comlpaining buy another HDD.

> > with about 100 users, and we are beginning to run out of space.  What I
> > would like to do is to clean everybody's mail box by clearing messages
out
> > of the Inbox, Sent Items and Deleted Items folder over a certain age.
The
> > Exchange utltity cleans old messages from EVERY folder, so this is not
> > practical.

> > Is there a way I can do a sweep of my Private information store to clear
out
> > old messages?  Remember I do not want to clear out people's folders,
only
> > the inbox, sent items and deleted items.

> IMHO, this is really bad idea. Look, if user has several important 2KB
messages
> dated year 97 and message with 50 MB .avi file dated last week. Your
solution
> will make user unhappy in a big way. To avoid this set storage limits on
> mailboxes and do not waste your time for managing your user's data

> --
> If you feel that anything in my post needs correction - feel free to do
so.
> And please, keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

> Kirill

Deleting Messages from Inbox, Sent Items and Deleted Items

Post by Amiri Jone » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 02:12:50

Quote:> Thanks for that - we don't need a new HDD now - I have found Mailbox
Manager
> which is with SP3 (which I have but didn't know about it).  For more info
> see http://www.microsoft.com/technet/exchange/mailmg.asp

    I beg to differ.... IMO, no server worthy of the name should be running
with 2 GB hard drives!  Hell, my "play server" at home has 10 GB hard
drives, and I paid for that out of pocket!

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 03:31:56

> > Thanks for that - we don't need a new HDD now - I have found Mailbox
> Manager
> > which is with SP3 (which I have but didn't know about it).  For more info
> > see http://www.microsoft.com/technet/exchange/mailmg.asp

>     I beg to differ.... IMO, no server worthy of the name should be running
> with 2 GB hard drives!  Hell, my "play server" at home has 10 GB hard
> drives, and I paid for that out of pocket!

Maybe e-mail is not important for them?

Quote:

--
Corrections are welcome.

For "Good post" practice visit

Kirill.

Deleting Messages from Inbox, Sent Items and Deleted Items

Post by Amiri Jone » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 23:53:18

    Then why are they running an email server?

> > > Thanks for that - we don't need a new HDD now - I have found Mailbox
> > Manager
> > > which is with SP3 (which I have but didn't know about it).  For more
info
> > > see http://www.microsoft.com/technet/exchange/mailmg.asp

> >     I beg to differ.... IMO, no server worthy of the name should be
running
> > with 2 GB hard drives!  Hell, my "play server" at home has 10 GB hard
> > drives, and I paid for that out of pocket!

> Maybe e-mail is not important for them?

> > <snip>

> --
> Corrections are welcome.

> For "Good post" practice visit
> http://members.home.com/dts-l/goodpost.htm

> Kirill.

Deleting Messages from Inbox, Sent Items and Deleted Items

As a convinience (like Coke machine in the office)?

--
Corrections are welcome.

For "Good post" practice visit

Kirill.

Deleting Messages from Inbox, Sent Items and Deleted Items

Post by Paul » Thu, 02 Nov 2000 18:36:14

So what, we're using 2 gig hard drives - we never have a problem so why
spend money???  Anyway I've found out about Mailbox Manager on SP3 which
does exactly what I wanted - I now have a schedule to run automatically to
clear out old messages.

So thanks for nothing!!

:-)

--
When replying to my e-mail, please remove the numbers from my email address

> As a convinience (like Coke machine in the office)?

> >     Then why are they running an email server?

wrote in

Mailbox
> > info

> > running

> > > Maybe e-mail is not important for them?

> > > --
> > > Corrections are welcome.

> > > For "Good post" practice visit
> > > http://members.home.com/dts-l/goodpost.htm

> > > Kirill.

> --
> Corrections are welcome.

> For "Good post" practice visit
> http://members.home.com/dts-l/goodpost.htm

> Kirill.

1. Deleted messages, deleted item retention time, and recovering deleted items

I'm working with Exchange 5.5 and I need to track messages within Public
Folders that have been deleted/marked for deletion by a user, but have not
been purged by the Exchange server because the Exchange Admin has configured
the Public Folder(s) with a non-zero "Deleted item retention time".  I am
working with information associated with MAPI messages that is
kept/maintained outside of Exchange and I would like to maintain that
information when the message is "deleted" but still recoverable from a
general users standpoint using "Recover Deleted Items...".  That way when
the message is recovered,  the external information is still available.
Only when the message has really been deleted/purged will the external info
be purged as well.  With an Outlook extension, I have control over the
initial "delete" process, but I haven't seen any documentation that defines
any special MAPI properties a message has when it has been deleted (and not
purged) nor have I found any information on how Outlook is able to
find/display deleted messages within the "Recover Delete Items..." Tool
option.

Using a sample program, I can open a public folder, call QueryRows to get a
message (save off the message's ENTRYID) , call GetMessageStatus to obtain
its status and then call DeleteMessages to delete the message.  With the
"Deleted item retention time" set on the test folder, I can repeatably call
GetMessageStatus on that message passing in the saved message ENTRYID and
successfully access the message.  If I then go to an Outlook client, select
"Recover Deleted Items ..." under the Tools menu I can see the deleted test
message.  If I then "Purge" the deleted message, calls to GetMessageStatus
with the saved ENTRYID now fail.  This is fine as far as detecting when a
"deleted" message is purged, but it doesn't tell me if the message has been
recovered.

Ultimately, I would like to know a message has been marked for deletion by
the presence of one or more properties within the message.  There is a
property PR_MSG_STATUS that looks like it fits the bill, but its use is
defined by a client and is not maintained by the Exchange server itself.
Calling GetMessageStatus against a deleted message does not show that the
message is marked for deletion.  I can call SetMessageStatus to set status
bits and I can successfully retrieve them with GetMessageStatus, but after
all is said and done, Exchange just passes this info along unchanged.

Another possibilty is to somehow see/detect deleted items the same way as
the Outlook "Recover Deleted Items..." Tool does.  Given a public folder, it
is somehow able to show deleted items that are in the folder.

Hopefully, the presence of a property which tells me a message has been
deleted will also tell me by its absence that the message has been restored.
Similarly, if I can see/detect deleted messages within some special MAPI
deleted items cache/table then I can tell a message has been restored by the
fact that it isn't in the cache/table.

Thanks in advance,
Keith Ingalls

2. Mysterious CHANGEME$ User

3. IS a SMTP connector needed ?

4. Outlook

5. How to remove Inbox, Outbox, Sent Items and Deleted Items in pst

6. OWA in Exchange 2000

7. deleted mailbox items not transfering to deleted items folder

8. Recover Deleted items not touching Deleted Items folder - Apply Everywhere

9. Recovering Deleted Items when purged from Deleted Item Recovery

10. Deleted Items Folder won't delete items