Exchange 5.5 Transaction Logs

Post by Dave » Wed, 30 Jul 2003 23:05:14

I have a situation where the server keeps generating
transaction logs until the disk is full (1GB) and the IS
stops. I am managing to restart the IS by moving committed
logs to another disk and thereby freeing up space
(eseutil /mk), just to sit here and watch it fill up
again. (Full online backups run each night, this is not
the problem)

I need to establish why these log files are being
generated - sometimes at the rate of 4 a minute.

I've been experimenting with the 'Diagnostics Logging'
feature of Exchange Administrator but do not fully
understand this feature.

Does anyone know where I can find some useful information
with regards to the 'diagnostic logging' feature of
Exchange 5.5?.........Or better still, does anyone know
the answer to the problem?

Setup: NT4 SP6a BDC. Exchange 5.5 SP4 with only 40
mailboxes & 1 X400 connector to Internet mail gateway in
another site. Running McAfee Groupshield 5 with SP1,
latest engine and latest DAT updates. This setup has been
running fine for months before now. Other Exchange servers
of similar build with the same virus definition updates
are running fine therefore I don't suspect this area.

Many thanks

Exchange 5.5 Transaction Logs

Post by Susan VanAlle » Wed, 30 Jul 2003 23:16:44

The logs will be flushed when you run a full online backup. Yes, online. Not
offline, not brick-level.
--
hth,
SusanV

Quote:> I have a situation where the server keeps generating
> transaction logs until the disk is full (1GB) and the IS
> stops. I am managing to restart the IS by moving committed
> logs to another disk and thereby freeing up space
> (eseutil /mk), just to sit here and watch it fill up
> again. (Full online backups run each night, this is not
> the problem)

> I need to establish why these log files are being
> generated - sometimes at the rate of 4 a minute.

> I've been experimenting with the 'Diagnostics Logging'
> feature of Exchange Administrator but do not fully
> understand this feature.

> Does anyone know where I can find some useful information
> with regards to the 'diagnostic logging' feature of
> Exchange 5.5?.........Or better still, does anyone know
> the answer to the problem?

> Setup: NT4 SP6a BDC. Exchange 5.5 SP4 with only 40
> mailboxes & 1 X400 connector to Internet mail gateway in
> another site. Running McAfee Groupshield 5 with SP1,
> latest engine and latest DAT updates. This setup has been
> running fine for months before now. Other Exchange servers
> of similar build with the same virus definition updates
> are running fine therefore I don't suspect this area.

> Many thanks

Exchange 5.5 Transaction Logs

Post by Susan Conke » Wed, 30 Jul 2003 23:26:08

if your system is generating 4 transaction log files per minute, it's
possible you have some abnormal activity on your server...how many users?
has it always generated this many?  possible mail loop?

Quote:> I have a situation where the server keeps generating
> transaction logs until the disk is full (1GB) and the IS
> stops. I am managing to restart the IS by moving committed
> logs to another disk and thereby freeing up space
> (eseutil /mk), just to sit here and watch it fill up
> again. (Full online backups run each night, this is not
> the problem)

> I need to establish why these log files are being
> generated - sometimes at the rate of 4 a minute.

> I've been experimenting with the 'Diagnostics Logging'
> feature of Exchange Administrator but do not fully
> understand this feature.

> Does anyone know where I can find some useful information
> with regards to the 'diagnostic logging' feature of
> Exchange 5.5?.........Or better still, does anyone know
> the answer to the problem?

> Setup: NT4 SP6a BDC. Exchange 5.5 SP4 with only 40
> mailboxes & 1 X400 connector to Internet mail gateway in
> another site. Running McAfee Groupshield 5 with SP1,
> latest engine and latest DAT updates. This setup has been
> running fine for months before now. Other Exchange servers
> of similar build with the same virus definition updates
> are running fine therefore I don't suspect this area.

> Many thanks

Exchange 5.5 Transaction Logs

Post by Dave » Thu, 31 Jul 2003 00:14:09

Yes, the full online backups run everynight and they're
not brick-level, but full, online backups of the databases
using the ARCserve agent for Exchange.

What is happening is a new log file being generated at the
rate of up to 4 per minute until they have consumed the
entire 1 GB space, whereby the IS stops. I can restart the
service by reclaiming about 850 MB by removing the already
committed logs, but within a few hours, the disc has been
consumed again by newly generated logs.

Thanks

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>The logs will be flushed when you run a full online

backup. Yes, online. Not
>offline, not brick-level.
>--
>hth,
>SusanV

>> I have a situation where the server keeps generating
>> transaction logs until the disk is full (1GB) and the IS
>> stops. I am managing to restart the IS by moving
committed
>> logs to another disk and thereby freeing up space
>> (eseutil /mk), just to sit here and watch it fill up
>> again. (Full online backups run each night, this is not
>> the problem)

>> I need to establish why these log files are being
>> generated - sometimes at the rate of 4 a minute.

>> I've been experimenting with the 'Diagnostics Logging'
>> feature of Exchange Administrator but do not fully
>> understand this feature.

>> Does anyone know where I can find some useful
information
>> with regards to the 'diagnostic logging' feature of
>> Exchange 5.5?.........Or better still, does anyone know
>> the answer to the problem?

>> Setup: NT4 SP6a BDC. Exchange 5.5 SP4 with only 40
>> mailboxes & 1 X400 connector to Internet mail gateway in
>> another site. Running McAfee Groupshield 5 with SP1,
>> latest engine and latest DAT updates. This setup has
been
>> running fine for months before now. Other Exchange
servers
>> of similar build with the same virus definition updates
>> are running fine therefore I don't suspect this area.

>> Many thanks

>.

Exchange 5.5 Transaction Logs

Post by Dave » Thu, 31 Jul 2003 00:22:36

There are only 40 users. Under normal circumstances the
server only genrates a maximum of about 10 transaction
logs.

I believe there is some abnormal activity and would like
to trace it. Like I said before, maybe the 'diagnostic
logging' feature can help. I've had a play with it but the
info it provides is very cryptic. Hence if you know where
I can find any useful information with regards to
the 'diagnostic logging' feature of
Exchange 5.5 I would be grateful.

Thanks for your reply

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>if your system is generating 4 transaction log files per
minute, it's
>possible you have some abnormal activity on your

server...how many users?
>has it always generated this many?  possible mail loop?

>> I have a situation where the server keeps generating
>> transaction logs until the disk is full (1GB) and the IS
>> stops. I am managing to restart the IS by moving
committed
>> logs to another disk and thereby freeing up space
>> (eseutil /mk), just to sit here and watch it fill up
>> again. (Full online backups run each night, this is not
>> the problem)

>> I need to establish why these log files are being
>> generated - sometimes at the rate of 4 a minute.

>> I've been experimenting with the 'Diagnostics Logging'
>> feature of Exchange Administrator but do not fully
>> understand this feature.

>> Does anyone know where I can find some useful
information
>> with regards to the 'diagnostic logging' feature of
>> Exchange 5.5?.........Or better still, does anyone know
>> the answer to the problem?

>> Setup: NT4 SP6a BDC. Exchange 5.5 SP4 with only 40
>> mailboxes & 1 X400 connector to Internet mail gateway in
>> another site. Running McAfee Groupshield 5 with SP1,
>> latest engine and latest DAT updates. This setup has
been
>> running fine for months before now. Other Exchange
servers
>> of similar build with the same virus definition updates
>> are running fine therefore I don't suspect this area.

>> Many thanks

>.

Exchange 5.5 Transaction Logs

Post by Susan Conke » Thu, 31 Jul 2003 00:39:39

is there anything in the event log now regarding a possible message loop?
any mailboxes seem to be filling up quickly?

> There are only 40 users. Under normal circumstances the
> server only genrates a maximum of about 10 transaction
> logs.

> I believe there is some abnormal activity and would like
> to trace it. Like I said before, maybe the 'diagnostic
> logging' feature can help. I've had a play with it but the
> info it provides is very cryptic. Hence if you know where
> I can find any useful information with regards to
> the 'diagnostic logging' feature of
> Exchange 5.5 I would be grateful.

> Thanks for your reply

Post by MVP » Thu, 31 Jul 2003 01:54:32

Yup.  Check your mailbox resources to see if anyone has an oddly large
mailbox.  Especially someone who's left the company and might have set up a
rule to auto-reply to incoming messages.

And check your postmaster mailbox for NDRs.

Missy

is there anything in the event log now regarding a possible message loop?
any mailboxes seem to be filling up quickly?

> There are only 40 users. Under normal circumstances the
> server only genrates a maximum of about 10 transaction
> logs.

> I believe there is some abnormal activity and would like
> to trace it. Like I said before, maybe the 'diagnostic
> logging' feature can help. I've had a play with it but the
> info it provides is very cryptic. Hence if you know where
> I can find any useful information with regards to
> the 'diagnostic logging' feature of
> Exchange 5.5 I would be grateful.

> Thanks for your reply

1. Dedicated Exchange 5.5 connector server - corrupt transaction logs

Our backup person put on hold the backup of one of our Exchange server's
prior to him leaving on vacation.  Consequently, the transaction logs ran
out of space.  This specific Exchange 5.5 server only is being used for the
Internet Mail Connector and the Rightfax connector.  Thankfully, there are
no mailboxes on this server.  (** I continually move a portion of the
transaction logs to gain some available space, and IS service is running OK.
But, the backup system no longer works.  I am assuming it is related to the
transaction logs.)

Can't I just delete the transaction logs since I am not worrying about
losing any uncommitted data?  At one time, I thought that there was a KB
describing the process of deleting transaction logs.  Would anyone know of
the KB that I am talking about?

Am I on track thinking it is corrupt transaction logs?

Thanks

Ron

2. mismatched accounts after ADC

3. MSexchange 5.5 Transaction logs build up

4. Dial Up Clients

5. Circular Logging & Transaction Logs

6. Specifying sending account

7. Tracking log vs Transaction log

8. RPC Ping and Slow Connections

9. Exchange Store Transaction Logs

10. Exchange Server 2000 Transaction log files

11. We have an Exchange server which is not purging its Transaction Logs

12. Drive Size for Transaction Logs for Exchange

13. Exchange Transaction Logs