Exchange or Firewall problem ?

Post by Benson Le » Thu, 23 Oct 2003 01:12:01

Hi,

I found that I could not telnet the port 135 of my Exchange2000 Server from
outside network.

I use Watchguard as my company's firewall, and the port 135 is open on it.

But I still can not telnet the port.

But on LAN, I can do it; on the other hand, I can telnet the port of other
Exchanges outside
( other network in the world ).

Anyone knows what happen to my Exchange and Firewall ?

How can I know if the port problem or not ? How can I enable the port on the
Exchange Server ?

Thank you very much

Exchange or Firewall problem ?

Post by Patrick Rouse [MVP » Thu, 23 Oct 2003 01:41:12

Good.  Port 135 is for RPC and should be closed unless you
want anyone with a packet sniffer getting into your
network.

There are better ways to allow remote email access then to
open a huge hole in your firewall, i.e. OWA, VPN, Dial-up,
or Mobile Device.

Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi,

>I found that I could not telnet the port 135 of my

Exchange2000 Server from
Quote:>outside network.

>I use Watchguard as my company's firewall, and the port
135 is open on it.

>But I still can not telnet the port.

>But on LAN, I can do it; on the other hand, I can telnet
the port of other
>Exchanges outside
>( other network in the world ).

>Anyone knows what happen to my Exchange and Firewall ?

>How can I know if the port problem or not ? How can I

enable the port on the
Quote:>Exchange Server ?

>Thank you very much

>.

Exchange or Firewall problem ?

Post by Susan VanAllen [MVP » Thu, 23 Oct 2003 02:00:03

Additionally, it's possible your ISP has blocked requests for port 135 from
being passed on through their routers.
--
hth,
SusanV

Quote:> Good.  Port 135 is for RPC and should be closed unless you
> want anyone with a packet sniffer getting into your
> network.

> There are better ways to allow remote email access then to
> open a huge hole in your firewall, i.e. OWA, VPN, Dial-up,
> or Mobile Device.

> Patrick Rouse
> Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

Post by Benson Le » Thu, 23 Oct 2003 02:17:35

But I can telnet to the same port of other network which uses the same ISP
package.

> Additionally, it's possible your ISP has blocked requests for port 135
from
> being passed on through their routers.
> --
> hth,
> SusanV

message

> > Good.  Port 135 is for RPC and should be closed unless you
> > want anyone with a packet sniffer getting into your
> > network.

> > There are better ways to allow remote email access then to
> > open a huge hole in your firewall, i.e. OWA, VPN, Dial-up,
> > or Mobile Device.

> > Patrick Rouse
> > Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

Post by Patrick Rouse [MVP » Thu, 23 Oct 2003 04:31:01

What are you trying to accomplish by opening this port?
The reason I ask is because this is the first port most
people make sure is closed.

Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

???g??ls?D

>> Additionally, it's possible your ISP has blocked

requests for port 135
Quote:>from
>> being passed on through their routers.
>> --
>> hth,
>> SusanV

>> "Patrick Rouse [MVP]"

>message

>> > Good.  Port 135 is for RPC and should be closed
unless you
>> > want anyone with a packet sniffer getting into your
>> > network.

>> > There are better ways to allow remote email access
then to
>> > open a huge hole in your firewall, i.e. OWA, VPN,
Dial-up,
>> > or Mobile Device.

>> > Patrick Rouse
>> > Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

1. Exchange through firewall problems

Hello all,

 I am running an Exchange 5.5 with SP4 behind CheckPoint FW-1 firewall and
my users access the server remotely through SecuRemote.

 Every thing was working just fine when out of nowhere users lost the
ability to remotely connect to the mail server. Trying to do so was replied
with all kind of error messages like - wrong credentials, can't open info.
store or even Exchange server not available. All this time the server work
working just fine for local users.

 Since remote access to all other servers is still working just fine I
assume the firewall in not to blame. Stopping the Exchange server services
and starting them again seems to cure the problem but only for a day or two.

 Any ideas about what is the cause of the problem and how to solve it?

 Thanks in advance,
 Boaz.

2. Outlook CLient Locking?

3. Printing Forms - e.g. Project Workgroup MXM/MTM:

4. FIREWALL FIREWALL FIREWALL

5. Get Fast Cash !!!

6. message size limitations

7. exchange 2k and firewall problem

8. Problem with Exchange 5.5, Firewall, POP3 accounts.

9. Exchange 2000, OWA, Nimda, .EML files, Firewall ... problem