Providing Permissions Access To Resources Within Exchange 55 Using The Outlook 98/97 Interface

Providing Permissions Access To Resources Within Exchange 55 Using The Outlook 98/97 Interface

Post by Craig keega » Fri, 27 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Your help in this is greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Objective
----------
To allow a Primary Windows NT account holder for a resource, using Outlook
98, to grant others "ownership" and be able to send e-mails on behalf of
that resource.  The secondary owners should also be able to grant others
"ownership" of the resource, using Outlook 98.  The Exchange interface is
outsourced and as a result it is not possible to take advantage of it.
To gain input from others on how they have achieved this and resolved the
issues below.

Issues
------
Granting ownership access to a mailbox only works completely when granted
from Exchange, not from Outlook.  Outlook can do it but only by setting
permissions on each folder.
"Send On Behalf" access is only granted from Exchange, it does not work when
Ownership of a mailbox is provided from Outlook.
Why are there no Calendar, Contacts, Journal or Notes folders displayed when
a resource is initially connected to?

Test Procedure
----------------
Created User1, User2, User3, User4, User5 & User6 under NT all with Exchange
accounts
Created the M1 & M2 exchange resources with a Primary Windows NT account of
User1 & User4 respectively.

Test 1
- - - -
Logged on to User1, User2 & User3 and added access to M1 via Outlook method.
There was no Calendar, Contacts, Journal or Notes folders displayed for M1
User1 set permissions for User2 on mailbox M1 to Owner
User2 was able to see mailbox M1 but not the folders in M1
User1 set permissions on each folder in M1 so User2 was the Owner
User2 could then see all folders
User2 is unable to send e-mails "FROM" M1, as it does not have "Send On
Behalf" even though it is an Owner
User1 is able to send "FROM" M1
User2 set permissions for User3 on mailbox M1 to Owner
The same result was found

Test 2
- - - -
User5 was added as an Owner via the Exchange method
Logged on to User4, user5 & User6 and added access to M2 via Outlook method
There was no Calendar, Contacts, Journal or Notes folders displayed for M2
User4 & User5 both had access to sub folders of M2
User5 set permissions for User6 on mailbox M2 to Owner
User6 was able to see mailbox M2 but not the folders in M2
User5 set permissions on each folder in M2 so User6 was the Owner
User6 could see all the folders
User6 is unable to send e-mails "FROM" M2, as it does not have "Send On
Behalf" even though it is an Owner
User4 & User5 are able to send "FROM" M2

Environment
------------
Windows NT 4.0 SP6a
Exchange 5.5 SP3
Windows 98
Outlook 98

Craig Keegan
NTS
Technical Manager
(0412) 141719

Post by Craig keega » Mon, 30 Oct 2000 21:06:22

> [...]

> User4 & User5 both had access to sub folders of M2
> User5 set permissions for User6 on mailbox M2 to Owner
> User6 was able to see mailbox M2 but not the folders in M2
> User5 set permissions on each folder in M2 so User6 was the Owner
> User6 could see all the folders
> User6 is unable to send e-mails "FROM" M2, as it does not have "Send On
> Behalf" even though it is an Owner
> User4 & User5 are able to send "FROM" M2

> Environment
> ------------
> Windows NT 4.0 SP6a
> Exchange 5.5 SP3
> Windows 98
> Outlook 98

> Craig Keegan
> NTS
> Technical Manager
> (0412) 141719

Providing Permissions Access To Resources Within Exchange 55 Using The Outlook 98/97 Interface

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Mon, 30 Oct 2000 22:15:09

Install NT or W2K for user(s), give them Exch admin prog and some rights in
Exchange and do not try to manage Exchange with Outlook - they are not designed
for this.

--
Corrections are welcome.

For "Good post" practice visit

Kirill.

Providing Permissions Access To Resources Within Exchange 55 Using The Outlook 98/97 Interface

Post by C. Bogaart » Mon, 30 Oct 2000 23:29:52

You most certainly do not want to do that!

Corn
On Sun, 29 Oct 2000 16:15:09 +0300, "Kirill S. Palagin"

> [...]

>> Behalf" even though it is an Owner
>> User1 is able to send "FROM" M1
>> User2 set permissions for User3 on mailbox M1 to Owner
>> The same result was found

>> Test 2
>> - - - -
>> User5 was added as an Owner via the Exchange method
>> Logged on to User4, user5 & User6 and added access to M2 via Outlook method
>> There was no Calendar, Contacts, Journal or Notes folders displayed for M2
>> User4 & User5 both had access to sub folders of M2
>> User5 set permissions for User6 on mailbox M2 to Owner
>> User6 was able to see mailbox M2 but not the folders in M2
>> User5 set permissions on each folder in M2 so User6 was the Owner
>> User6 could see all the folders
>> User6 is unable to send e-mails "FROM" M2, as it does not have "Send On
>> Behalf" even though it is an Owner
>> User4 & User5 are able to send "FROM" M2

Please reply by E-mail. When doing so, please remove the 'no spam' # from the return-addres.

Providing Permissions Access To Resources Within Exchange 55 Using The Outlook 98/97 Interface

Post by C. Bogaart » Mon, 30 Oct 2000 23:51:53

Replies below:

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000 18:56:10 +1000, "Craig keegan"

>Your help in this is greatly appreciated.  Thanks

>Objective
>----------
>To allow a Primary Windows NT account holder for a resource, using Outlook
>98, to grant others "ownership" and be able to send e-mails on behalf of
>that resource.  The secondary owners should also be able to grant others
>"ownership" of the resource, using Outlook 98.  The Exchange interface is
>outsourced

You mean "Administrator-program of Exchange Server", or "Exchange
Client"? Both give a different interface to your mailboxes than OL98.
I assume the first.

Quote:>and as a result it is not possible to take advantage of it.
>To gain input from others on how they have achieved this and resolved the
>issues below.

>Issues
>------
>Granting ownership access to a mailbox only works completely when granted
>from Exchange, not from Outlook.  Outlook can do it but only by setting
>permissions on each folder.

You can set access-rights on the mailbox, yet not via the
wizard-interface. You'd need to use the 'folderlist' --> select the
mailbox --> properties.

Quote:>"Send On Behalf" access is only granted from Exchange, it does not work when
>Ownership of a mailbox is provided from Outlook.

"Send on behalf of" is something entirely different from any ownership
settings. Although the wizard-interface of OL97 used to integrate
them.
'Send on behalf of' can be set by any owner of a mailbox, the 'Send
as'-right can only be given via the Exchange Administrator-program.

Quote:>Why are there no Calendar, Contacts, Journal or Notes folders displayed when
>a resource is initially connected to?

These folders are made by OL, the first time you log into a mailbox.
The other folders are made by Exchange Server. You can observe similar
results when you use 'Exchange Client' to log into a mailbox, instead
of OL. Ex.Client doesn't make these 4 folders either. Logging in with
Schedule Plus would make only the first 2 folders metioned above.

>Test Procedure
>----------------
>Created User1, User2, User3, User4, User5 & User6 under NT all with Exchange
>accounts
>Created the M1 & M2 exchange resources with a Primary Windows NT account of
>User1 & User4 respectively.

>Test 1
>- - - -
>Logged on to User1, User2 & User3 and added access to M1 via Outlook method.
>There was no Calendar, Contacts, Journal or Notes folders displayed for M1
>User1 set permissions for User2 on mailbox M1 to Owner
>User2 was able to see mailbox M1 but not the folders in M1
>User1 set permissions on each folder in M1 so User2 was the Owner
>User2 could then see all folders
>User2 is unable to send e-mails "FROM" M1, as it does not have "Send On
>Behalf" even though it is an Owner
>User1 is able to send "FROM" M1
>User2 set permissions for User3 on mailbox M1 to Owner
>The same result was found

>Test 2
>- - - -
>User5 was added as an Owner via the Exchange method
>Logged on to User4, user5 & User6 and added access to M2 via Outlook method
>There was no Calendar, Contacts, Journal or Notes folders displayed for M2
>User4 & User5 both had access to sub folders of M2
>User5 set permissions for User6 on mailbox M2 to Owner
>User6 was able to see mailbox M2 but not the folders in M2
>User5 set permissions on each folder in M2 so User6 was the Owner
>User6 could see all the folders
>User6 is unable to send e-mails "FROM" M2, as it does not have "Send On
>Behalf" even though it is an Owner
>User4 & User5 are able to send "FROM" M2

>Environment
>------------
>Windows NT 4.0 SP6a
>Exchange 5.5 SP3
>Windows 98
>Outlook 98

>Craig Keegan
>NTS
>Technical Manager
>(0412) 141719

Please reply by E-mail. When doing so, please remove the 'no spam' # from the return-addres.

1. Providing Permissions Access To Resources Within Exchange 55 Using The Outlook 98/97 Interface

[...]

2. Create a shortcut toolbar

3. Messages with file attachments remain sealed after applying SP2.

4. exchange migratie 55 - 55

5. How I can create a pop3 connector in Exchange 2000 server

6. Multiple Email Domains using Exchange 55

7. Mailboxes with messages waiting

8. Exchange 55 server required to access public folders

9. Wrong message time stamp in Outlook 2000 with Exchange 55 and W2K

10. Accessing folders within Exchange using POP3

11. Delegate Access and Permissions using outlook and 5.5

12. search in newsgroup using NNTP service provided by Exchange Server 5.5