One Exchange server host two Domain names?

One Exchange server host two Domain names?

Post by James R. Hai » Thu, 10 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I know this is a weird setup, but here goes...

I have a client who is sharing an office suite with a sister company.  They
are on the same LAN, sharing the Exchange server.  The one group has
registered their domain name <myorg.com> and is receiving Internet email
via a Mail Exchanger (MX) record (ISP) and Exchange's IMC...all works
great.  Now, the sister group who is sharing the office suite wants to be
able to use the first groups' Exchange server to send/receive *their*
Internet email <theirorg.com> via a Mail Exchanger (MX) record (ISP) and
Exchange's IMC.

Bottom line:  Can Exchange host two different Domain names (<myorg.com> and
<theirorg.com>)??  Meaning, if these two companies are on the same LAN,
sharing the same equipment, can Exchange's IMC dial their ISP and
retrieve/send Internet email for both <myorg.com> and <theirorg.com>??

My thoughts:  By setting up an MX record for each domain name, pointing to
the IP address of the Exchange server, and making sure that each Exchange
account in the Exchange Admin. program has the proper SMTP address defined,
couldn't this be accomplished?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
James R. Hair

One Exchange server host two Domain names?

Post by Douglas E Sherza » Thu, 10 Apr 1997 04:00:00

As long as your DNS is set up correctly all you have to do is give each
recipient the correct smtp address.  I am currently hosting 3 domain names
on 1 exchange server.

> I know this is a weird setup, but here goes...

> I have a client who is sharing an office suite with a sister company.
They
> are on the same LAN, sharing the Exchange server.  The one group has
> registered their domain name <myorg.com> and is receiving Internet email
> via a Mail Exchanger (MX) record (ISP) and Exchange's IMC...all works
> great.  Now, the sister group who is sharing the office suite wants to be
> able to use the first groups' Exchange server to send/receive *their*
> Internet email <theirorg.com> via a Mail Exchanger (MX) record (ISP) and
> Exchange's IMC.

> Bottom line:  Can Exchange host two different Domain names (<myorg.com>
and
> <theirorg.com>)??  Meaning, if these two companies are on the same LAN,
> sharing the same equipment, can Exchange's IMC dial their ISP and
> retrieve/send Internet email for both <myorg.com> and <theirorg.com>??

> My thoughts:  By setting up an MX record for each domain name, pointing
> the IP address of the Exchange server, and making sure that each Exchange
> account in the Exchange Admin. program has the proper SMTP address
defined,
> couldn't this be accomplished?

> Any help is appreciated.

> Thanks,
> James R. Hair

One Exchange server host two Domain names?

Post by James R. Hai » Fri, 11 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Let me know if this is correct...

What I'm finding is that you'll need to setup an MX (Mail Exchange) record
with your ISP in order to do this.  For example: Internet email coming to
<myorg.com> and <theirorg.com> will need to be re-routed and held by your
ISP first via MX, then when your Exchange server comes on line with it's
dedicated IP address, the ISP *should* dump all the Internet email to your
Exchange server.  The DNS entires at your ISP should look something like
this.

myorg.com  MX  10  MAIL.BOTHORG.COM
theirorg.com  MX  10  MAIL.BOTHORG.COM
myorg.com  MX  20  MAIL.<ISP.NET>
MAIL.BOTHORG.COM  A  IN  <static IP address of Exchange server>

That's my understanding anyway.  Let me know if you hear different.

Thanks,
James R. Hair, MCP

> I know this is a weird setup, but here goes...

> I have a client who is sharing an office suite with a sister company.
They
> are on the same LAN, sharing the Exchange server.  The one group has
> registered their domain name <myorg.com> and is receiving Internet email
> via a Mail Exchanger (MX) record (ISP) and Exchange's IMC...all works
> great.  Now, the sister group who is sharing the office suite wants to be
> able to use the first groups' Exchange server to send/receive *their*
> Internet email <theirorg.com> via a Mail Exchanger (MX) record (ISP) and
> Exchange's IMC.

> Bottom line:  Can Exchange host two different Domain names (<myorg.com>
and
> <theirorg.com>)??  Meaning, if these two companies are on the same LAN,
> sharing the same equipment, can Exchange's IMC dial their ISP and
> retrieve/send Internet email for both <myorg.com> and <theirorg.com>??

> My thoughts:  By setting up an MX record for each domain name, pointing
> the IP address of the Exchange server, and making sure that each Exchange
> account in the Exchange Admin. program has the proper SMTP address
defined,
> couldn't this be accomplished?

> Any help is appreciated.

> Thanks,
> James R. Hair

One Exchange server host two Domain names?

Post by James R. Hai » Sat, 12 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Doug--

I assume you mean have a DNS MX record for the <myorg.com> and
<theirorg.com> pointing to the IP address of my Exchange server?

Rusty

> As long as your DNS is set up correctly all you have to do is give each
> recipient the correct smtp address.  I am currently hosting 3 domain
names
> on 1 exchange server.

> > I know this is a weird setup, but here goes...

> > I have a client who is sharing an office suite with a sister company.
> They
> > are on the same LAN, sharing the Exchange server.  The one group has
> > registered their domain name <myorg.com> and is receiving Internet
email
> > via a Mail Exchanger (MX) record (ISP) and Exchange's IMC...all works
> > great.  Now, the sister group who is sharing the office suite wants to
be
> > able to use the first groups' Exchange server to send/receive *their*
> > Internet email <theirorg.com> via a Mail Exchanger (MX) record (ISP)
and
> > Exchange's IMC.

> > Bottom line:  Can Exchange host two different Domain names (<myorg.com>
> and
> > <theirorg.com>)??  Meaning, if these two companies are on the same LAN,
> > sharing the same equipment, can Exchange's IMC dial their ISP and
> > retrieve/send Internet email for both <myorg.com> and <theirorg.com>??

> > My thoughts:  By setting up an MX record for each domain name, pointing
> > the IP address of the Exchange server, and making sure that each
Exchange
> > account in the Exchange Admin. program has the proper SMTP address
> defined,
> > couldn't this be accomplished?

> > Any help is appreciated.

> > Thanks,
> > James R. Hair

One Exchange server host two Domain names?

Post by Justi » Wed, 16 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>As long as your DNS is set up correctly all you have to do is give each
>recipient the correct smtp address.  I am currently hosting 3 domain
names
>on 1 exchange server.

Is there a way to set up multiple sites on one server so that I can have
different mailboxes depending on email domain, I dont see it anywhere? Or
do I just manually change the smtp address to be correct for the domain for
each mailbox?