Mail relay from port 17 to port 25

Post by Steve Van Domele » Mon, 06 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I need to construct some type of relay server that will receive SMTP
requests on port 17 (or any port other than 25) and relay mail to my current
Exchange Server host on port 25 for processing.

I was thinking of building another Exchange server that is to set up as a
mail relay that accepts SMTP requests on port 17 and relays them to another
mail server on port 25.  But how can I configure Exchange to do this?  If I
change the SMTP port in the services file, then it will receive and relay on
17 which is not acceptable.

Basically, how do I execute a port switching relay?

            ---Steve

Mail relay from port 17 to port 25

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Mon, 06 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I need to construct some type of relay server that will receive SMTP
>requests on port 17 (or any port other than 25) and relay mail to my current
>Exchange Server host on port 25 for processing.

>I was thinking of building another Exchange server that is to set up as a
>mail relay that accepts SMTP requests on port 17 and relays them to another
>mail server on port 25.  But how can I configure Exchange to do this?  If I
>change the SMTP port in the services file, then it will receive and relay on
>17 which is not acceptable.

>Basically, how do I execute a port switching relay?

Don't use Exchange. The Microsoft SMTP service will work just fine and
it's a lot more configurable when it comes down to this sort of thing.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. Mail relay from port 17 to port 25

I need to construct some type of relay server that will receive SMTP
requests on port 17 (or any port other than 25) and relay mail to my current
Exchange Server host on port 25 for processing.

I was thinking of building another Exchange server that is to set up as a
mail relay that accepts SMTP requests on port 17 and relays them to another
mail server on port 25.  But how can I configure Exchange to do this?  If I
change the SMTP port in the services file, then it will receive and relay on
17 which is not acceptable.

Basically, how do I execute a port switching relay?

            ---Steve

2. Outlook Logon Slow

3. ex55 and date problem ?

4. Using port 25 and 17 for SMTP

5. Removing Internet Newsgroups? **

6. Listen on port 26 for any incoming SMTP connections and sending mail SMTP on port 25

7. Store.exe memory leak on Exch55

8. Port 25 and Port 280

9. Link State Recovery and TCP port 691 and TCP port 25

10. unable to relay; port 25 close error

11. help securing port 25 relay but supporting POP clients