Server monitors for www service

Post by arptr » Tue, 19 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Does anyone know how server monitors "really" work? I'd like to use a server
monitor for our OWA WWW service that occassionally hangs but never actually
stops. I'm not sure the monitor will detect impaired services, only stopped
ones. Thanks!

Server monitors for www service

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Tue, 19 Sep 2000 04:00:00

NT's PerfMon.

> Does anyone know how server monitors "really" work? I'd like to use a server
> monitor for our OWA WWW service that occassionally hangs but never actually
> stops. I'm not sure the monitor will detect impaired services, only stopped
> ones. Thanks!

group).

Kirill

Server monitors for www service

OK, but what counters does it use and what, if anything, does it poll for?

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Tue, 19 Sep 2000 04:00:00

>Does anyone know how server monitors "really" work? I'd like to use a server
>monitor for our OWA WWW service that occassionally hangs but never actually
>stops. I'm not sure the monitor will detect impaired services, only stopped
>ones. Thanks!

It won't detect a problem as long as the service appears in the
"Running" state. You'd have to run a small script (Perl, VBS.
whatever) to periodically sent an HTTP request to the server in order
to know if the service was actually responding to external stimuli.

Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP