Why/why not install on a BDC?

Post by Zac Thompso » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 03:53:26

I seem to recall having seen a recommendation that Exchange be
installed on a BDC (Exch 5.5, NT4 environment), but I can't find
such a document that clearly explains why.  I can think of two
reasons:

1) removes any "local" users on the machine, which might help to
reduce confusion

2) ensures that a copy of the SAM is always available.

On the other hand, I can think of reasons why it might not be best,
such as performance, security (perhaps), recoverability, and just
plain "common sense": why do it unless you must?  Would somebody
please point me to a clear answer?

Zac

Why/why not install on a BDC?

Post by J.. » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 03:58:11

I think the best configuration is on a member server if the budget
permits. That is also what I have read Member server.

> I seem to recall having seen a recommendation that Exchange be
> installed on a BDC (Exch 5.5, NT4 environment), but I can't find
> such a document that clearly explains why.  I can think of two
> reasons:

> 1) removes any "local" users on the machine, which might help to
> reduce confusion

> 2) ensures that a copy of the SAM is always available.

> On the other hand, I can think of reasons why it might not be best,
> such as performance, security (perhaps), recoverability, and just
> plain "common sense": why do it unless you must?  Would somebody
> please point me to a clear answer?

> Zac

Why/why not install on a BDC?

Post by Tim Co » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 04:40:13

"Budget permits" refers to the idea that you should have at least one backup
domain controller in any NT production environment. If you can only afford
two NT servers, I would put in on the PDC since the BDC should be doing most
of the authentication. If you have a BDC already then a member server is
generally recognized as the best approach.

--
No Email Replies

***********************

> I think the best configuration is on a member server if the budget
> permits. That is also what I have read Member server.

> > I seem to recall having seen a recommendation that Exchange be
> > installed on a BDC (Exch 5.5, NT4 environment), but I can't find
> > such a document that clearly explains why.  I can think of two
> > reasons:

> > 1) removes any "local" users on the machine, which might help to
> > reduce confusion

> > 2) ensures that a copy of the SAM is always available.

> > On the other hand, I can think of reasons why it might not be best,
> > such as performance, security (perhaps), recoverability, and just
> > plain "common sense": why do it unless you must?  Would somebody
> > please point me to a clear answer?

> > Zac

Why/why not install on a BDC?

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 02:20:34

> I seem to recall having seen a recommendation that Exchange be
> installed on a BDC (Exch 5.5, NT4 environment), but I can't find
> such a document that clearly explains why.  I can think of two
> reasons:

> 1) removes any "local" users on the machine, which might help to
> reduce confusion

> 2) ensures that a copy of the SAM is always available.

3) less servers to manage

Quote:

> On the other hand, I can think of reasons why it might not be best,
> such as performance, security (perhaps), recoverability,

This is correct too.

Quote:> and just

--
If you feel that anything in my post needs correction - feel free to do
so (in group).

Kirill

Why/why not install on a BDC?

Post by Jeff » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 23:48:55

I sent this to a similar thread here...

We had a PDC that stopped participating properly in the domain that also
happened to be running Exchange that was a left over setup from one of our
smaller offices.  The were a seperate company originally and running their
own domain on minimal hardware.

The ultimate solution was promoting the BDC to PDC and setting up another
Exchange server in the site and moving all of the connections and mailboxes
to it.  Eventually that other machine got formatted and reinstalled as the
BDC.  It was a painful thing and we were lucky that the machine wasn't being
more difficult.

You definately want two DCs.  Being a domain controller really doesn't take
that much horsepower.  You'll save yourself a lot of pain by having two
dedicated domain controllers.  This is something that can be a P90 desktop
class machine with mirrored drives.  Certainly this is a $100 machine if you
look around for them.  Trust me, you'll be better off with 2 cheap dedicated
domain controllers in the long run.  You can run other easily movable
network services as well (DNS, WINS, DHCP, etc).

My 2 cents.

Quote:

> I seem to recall having seen a recommendation that Exchange be
> installed on a BDC (Exch 5.5, NT4 environment), but I can't find
> such a document that clearly explains why.  I can think of two
> reasons:

> 1) removes any "local" users on the machine, which might help to
> reduce confusion

> 2) ensures that a copy of the SAM is always available.

> On the other hand, I can think of reasons why it might not be best,
> such as performance, security (perhaps), recoverability, and just
> plain "common sense": why do it unless you must?  Would somebody
> please point me to a clear answer?

> Zac

Why/why not install on a BDC?

Post by Kare » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 18:41:36

I seem to recall something about  making it easier to access servers
in defferent domains across trusts if it is on a DC. Might be worth a
look if you are likely to set up any trusts.

Karen

On Wed, 06 Sep 2000 14:53:26 -0400, Zac Thompson

>I seem to recall having seen a recommendation that Exchange be
>installed on a BDC (Exch 5.5, NT4 environment), but I can't find
>such a document that clearly explains why.  I can think of two
>reasons:

>1) removes any "local" users on the machine, which might help to
>reduce confusion

>2) ensures that a copy of the SAM is always available.

>On the other hand, I can think of reasons why it might not be best,
>such as performance, security (perhaps), recoverability, and just
>plain "common sense": why do it unless you must?  Would somebody
>please point me to a clear answer?

>Zac

Why/why not install on a BDC?

Post by Henk Schaefe » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 23:44:11

Installing Exchange 5.5 on a dc seems to give problems when you want to
upgrade to 2000 (exchange). I heard that is not possible but I could be
wrong here.

> I seem to recall something about  making it easier to access servers
> in defferent domains across trusts if it is on a DC. Might be worth a
> look if you are likely to set up any trusts.

> Karen

> On Wed, 06 Sep 2000 14:53:26 -0400, Zac Thompson

> >I seem to recall having seen a recommendation that Exchange be
> >installed on a BDC (Exch 5.5, NT4 environment), but I can't find
> >such a document that clearly explains why.  I can think of two
> >reasons:

> >1) removes any "local" users on the machine, which might help to
> >reduce confusion

> >2) ensures that a copy of the SAM is always available.

> >On the other hand, I can think of reasons why it might not be best,
> >such as performance, security (perhaps), recoverability, and just
> >plain "common sense": why do it unless you must?  Would somebody
> >please point me to a clear answer?

> >Zac

Why/why not install on a BDC?

Post by Stuart Carriso » Wed, 13 Sep 2000 04:18:52

well,

since you HAVE to install Exchange 2K on an Active directory integrated
system (be it master controller or whatever).........

The whole PDC/BDC is out the window

Stu

> Installing Exchange 5.5 on a dc seems to give problems when you want to
> upgrade to 2000 (exchange). I heard that is not possible but I could be
> wrong here.

> > I seem to recall something about  making it easier to access servers
> > in defferent domains across trusts if it is on a DC. Might be worth a
> > look if you are likely to set up any trusts.

> > Karen

> > On Wed, 06 Sep 2000 14:53:26 -0400, Zac Thompson

> > >I seem to recall having seen a recommendation that Exchange be
> > >installed on a BDC (Exch 5.5, NT4 environment), but I can't find
> > >such a document that clearly explains why.  I can think of two
> > >reasons:

> > >1) removes any "local" users on the machine, which might help to
> > >reduce confusion

> > >2) ensures that a copy of the SAM is always available.

> > >On the other hand, I can think of reasons why it might not be best,
> > >such as performance, security (perhaps), recoverability, and just
> > >plain "common sense": why do it unless you must?  Would somebody
> > >please point me to a clear answer?

> > >Zac

Why/why not install on a BDC?

Post by Kare » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 22:25:13

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000 19:18:52 GMT, "Stuart Carrison"

>well,

>since you HAVE to install Exchange 2K on an Active directory integrated
>system (be it master controller or whatever).........

>The whole PDC/BDC is out the window

>Stu

<snip>

Definately - and I only just got the hang of that architecture too!

Karen

1. why why why ??

Why isn't is possible to synchronize my 5MX with the Public Folder in
Outlook (ExchangeServer)
For weeks now, am I looking for a program with this functionality, as PSiWin
can't do this..
I think it is unbelieveble that such a simpel en common function is not
implemented in PsiWin and that the helpdesk does not even know what I am
talking about. Is there no professional organisation out there (NT4 in
combination with an exchange server) with uses the Public Folder (for shared
Calendar) in combination with a Psion ?

If I had a pocketPC (windowsCE) or a Palm, I could thoose from sevaral
programs with can do this simple and common synchronisation.. please help!

S. Koers
The Netherlands.

2. NAV for Gateways and 5.5

3. Reasons Why NOT to put Exchange Server on PDC or BDC

4. unread messages

5. Why Exchange, why a structured DB

6. Removing Exchange 5.5 Servers

7. The recipient name is not recognized....why not?

8. Mail Routing

9. why,why,why,can't send mail to my exchange2000 server.

10. Why should I Install Exchange 2OOO on Domoain controller

11. Cannot mount mailboxe stores on new install, why?

12. Why Re-Install NT SP6a after Exchange 5.5 SP4

13. Why take 10 minute or more to shut down after install exchange 5.5