Re-sent msgs after Exchange reboot

Post by kristysimshau.. » Thu, 01 Feb 2001 14:41:51

One of our users has an email that keeps being re-
sent after the Exchange server has been
restarted. This has happened a number of times
and it only happens when the server is rebooted.

The email is just a text based email and there is
no evidence of a virus.

Can anyone help?

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Fri, 02 Feb 2001 10:38:01

>One of our users has an email that keeps being re-
>sent after the Exchange server has been
>restarted. This has happened a number of times
>and it only happens when the server is rebooted.

>The email is just a text based email and there is
>no evidence of a virus.

>Can anyone help?

Is the message sent to a SMTP address outside your domain, or is it
sent to mailbxes within your Exchange organizaton?

If it's SMTP it's most likely a message that's not being removed from
the imcdata\out directory. Have a look and see if you can find the
message. If you can, stop the IMS and remove the file. Then delete the
imcdata\queue.dat file and restart the IMS.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. Messages resent after rebooting 5.5 server

Yikes!  We have a terrible behavior with our 5.5 server and I hope someone
can help.

We have an Exchange 5.5 server (all SP and HotFixes applied) which acts as a
border delivery system, sitting between the Internet and our Exchange 2000
internal servers.  Basically this machine has no user accounts and simply
relays mail between the outside world and the internal mail servers.

What has been happening is that the server will bog down due to high traffic
and will need to either be rebooted or have the IMS stopped and restarted.
That gets the machine going again but the server then resends all mail sent
since the last reboot.

Where the heck is it even getting the old delivered mail from?

The queues don't contain the resent messages, I am guessing it is coming
from the logs?  Since this is a transport server we do not back it up and
have circular logging turned on (We do NOT do this for the internal servers
:)  ).

There is a large amount of mail that passes through this system as there is
a listserver setup for customer mailings as well as internal user mail.  I
realize there is a basic problem of the machine choking which we are looking
into, but where I am totally at a loss is this duplicate mail issue.  HELP!

Thank you so very much for your time.

2. OWA Questrion

3. Reboot causes messages to be resent

4. OL97 on Mac O/S 8.1

5. Exchange 5.5 sent msgs

6. Message Limits

7. Spam: tools for creating folders, moving msgs, deleting old msgs

8. Exchange 5.5 external mail

9. Sending msgs from VB application

10. SMTP virtual server cannot send some msgs

11. IMC E-mail Problem (won't send outgoing msgs)

12. Sending msgs after MB move

13. POP3 Problem: Keeps Sending Same Msgs