544 hop count exceeded when telnet into 5.5?

544 hop count exceeded when telnet into 5.5?

Post by Les Caudl » Thu, 23 May 2002 01:38:04

I'm getting the dreaded 554 hop-count exceeded. msg when sending
emails to an Exchange 5.5 box.

I also get this msg when I telnet into it and attempt to send a msg.

The email domain is marked as <inbound> and it was working fine
yesterday.

I had this exact same thing happen before, and it turned out to be
some weird DNS   problem.  (if I remember correctly?) The MX records
looked using nslookup, but when I used ns1.cisco.com as the server, it
couldn't see the mx records.

The ISP changed something, and it was back.

I got them to send me the DNS zone, and it looks ok, ns1.cisco.com can
see the mx, I can see them, I can ping to the ip and to the mail
server name.

I'm confused as how to proceed?  I know the ISP has messed something
up - but I cannot figure out exactly where as everything seems ok as
far as nslookup is concerned?
--

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Thu, 23 May 2002 11:04:45

>I'm getting the dreaded 554 hop-count exceeded. msg when sending
>emails to an Exchange 5.5 box.

If the messages that arrive at your server are addressed to your
domain then one of the reasons this is happening may be that the
"Routing" tab on the IMS doesn't contain your domain name, routed as
"<inbound>".

Quote:>I also get this msg when I telnet into it and attempt to send a msg.

Is your IMS purposely configured to act as an open SMTP relay? That's
a good way to get your server blacklisted.

Quote:>The email domain is marked as <inbound> and it was working fine
>yesterday.

But not today? Have you checked?

Quote:>I had this exact same thing happen before, and it turned out to be
>some weird DNS       problem.  (if I remember correctly?) The MX records
>looked using nslookup, but when I used ns1.cisco.com as the server, it
>couldn't see the mx records.

>The ISP changed something, and it was back.

The ISP can only be blamed if you're server is being sent mail that's
supposed to be delivered to some other domain. That your server is
acting as an open relay isn't his fault.

Quote:>I got them to send me the DNS zone, and it looks ok, ns1.cisco.com can
>see the mx, I can see them, I can ping to the ip and to the mail
>server name.

>I'm confused as how to proceed?  I know the ISP has messed something
>up - but I cannot figure out exactly where as everything seems ok as
>far as nslookup is concerned?

Don't be so quick to blame the ISP. You said you can reproduce the
problem with telnet and the ISP surely isn't involved with *that*!

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP