Preventing Mail Relay

Post by Stephen Cad » Thu, 09 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Help, our exchange server is being used by spammers and I don't know how to
prevent them using it.  This afternoon legitimate e-mail was prevented
because they had managed to overload our server.

Our setup is as follows:

We have a primary e-mail server running Exchange 5.5.  All e-mail to
domain1.com gets forwarded from the primary e-mail server to a secondary
e-mail server immediately on receipt.  All e-mail to domain2.com and
domain3.com is routed inbound to the primary e-mail server.

How do I prevent e-mail to any other domain being routed through our server?
I managed to prevent e-mail being routed by changing a registry key but this
also prevented the mail to domain1.com being routed to the secondary e-mail
server.

Any suggestions?

Thanks to those that can help,

Steve

Preventing Mail Relay

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Thu, 09 Mar 2000 04:00:00

                                        [ snip ]

Quote:>We have a primary e-mail server running Exchange 5.5.  All e-mail to
>domain1.com gets forwarded from the primary e-mail server to a secondary
>e-mail server immediately on receipt.  All e-mail to domain2.com and
>domain3.com is routed inbound to the primary e-mail server.

>How do I prevent e-mail to any other domain being routed through our server?
>I managed to prevent e-mail being routed by changing a registry key but this

So you've already discovered how to do this!

Quote:>also prevented the mail to domain1.com being routed to the secondary e-mail
>server.

>Any suggestions?

Add the domain1.com to the IMS "Routing" tab and select the "Override
relay restrictions. Always relay" radio button. That's available with
SP3, but not earlier SPs.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Preventing Mail Relay

Post by Greg Hoffma » Thu, 16 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Check out this article:

Is Your Exchange Server Relay-Secure?
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/exchange/relay.asp

> [ snip ]

> >We have a primary e-mail server running Exchange 5.5.  All e-mail to
> >domain1.com gets forwarded from the primary e-mail server to a secondary
> >e-mail server immediately on receipt.  All e-mail to domain2.com and
> >domain3.com is routed inbound to the primary e-mail server.

> >How do I prevent e-mail to any other domain being routed through our
server?
> >I managed to prevent e-mail being routed by changing a registry key but
this

> So you've already discovered how to do this!

> >also prevented the mail to domain1.com being routed to the secondary
e-mail
> >server.

> >Any suggestions?

> Add the domain1.com to the IMS "Routing" tab and select the "Override
> relay restrictions. Always relay" radio button. That's available with
> SP3, but not earlier SPs.

> ------------------
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. Preventing mail relay on Exchange 5.5 SP3 behind Proxy 2.0

Could you guys help me to configure our mail server to prohibit mail
relaying. Before we moved it behind MS Proxy server 2.0 it was working fine,
but now I have no clue where in a registry I would do it. There is no
MSExchangeIMC key in there because I have installed only OWA on Proxy
server. SMTPSVC is stopped to let my Exchange Server's IMC work thru port 25
on IIS.
Thanks in advance.
Vladimir.

2. NEWPROF.EXE not setting RememberPassword

3. Preventing mail relaying

4. Outlook 2000 on W98 connect Exchange 2000

5. Preventing mail-relay to stop spammers

6. Migration from 5.5 to 2000

7. Setting up Exchange Server to prevent mail relaying

8. OWA - error 80004005

9. Setting up to prevent mail relaying

10. How does one set up Exchange Server to prevent mail relaying?

11. Preventing Spammers from Relaying, But Allowing MY Web Server to Relay

12. Need to prevent Exchange 2000 from Being Used as a Mail Relay in Windows 2000