Help needed: PST recovery

Post by Jacques Vida » Wed, 11 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

Our MS Exchange 5.0 server crashed a few days ago.
We now have a new server running Exchange 5.5 but
in the meantime my boss, who worked offline on his
laptop for a while,  lost a lot of critical data when he
reconnected to his new mailbox on the new server
(we weren't aware of this issue at the moment).

The data is in an offline OST file which is 45 Mb in
size. I used the OST2PST utility to convert it to a PST
file (which is roughly the same size, so I assume his
data is still there). However, when I try to add this file
to his profile, there are only 3 empty folders in the
PST file hierarchy ('Boite d'envoi', 'Elments envoys'
and 'Elments supprims' - yes, this is a French
version - I suppose these translate as 'Outbox', 'Sent
messages' and 'Deleted messages', maybe?)

I don't know if this is important: we used Exchange
clients with the old 5.0 server, but have migrated all
workstations to Outlook when we installed the new
5.5 server.

Is there a way to recover the missing data? We really
need to recover it.

Thanks in advance,

Jacques

Help needed: PST recovery

Any help from manufacturer of OST2PST?

--
If you feel that anything in my post needs correction - feel free to do so.

Kirill

Help needed: PST recovery

Post by Jacques Vida » Wed, 11 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Kirill S. Palagin a crit dans le message

Quote:

>Any help from manufacturer of OST2PST?

No. They just provide the tool (for 85$), it's fairly easy
to use and produces what it's expected to do: a PST
file. But I don't seem to be able to use it.
Quote:>--
>If you feel that anything in my post needs correction - feel free to do so.
>And please, keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

>Kirill

Help needed: PST recovery

Post by Charles Vill » Wed, 11 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the utility is probably correct.
If the user synchronized to an empty mailbox, all the previous mail items in
the OST file would be marked as deleted.  OST (and PST) files commonly
maintain thier size until compacted.  If the compaction did not occur yet,
the OST file could be large, while only having a few visible items.  To
recover, you need a tool that can read through the rest of the file that is
marked as deleted and hopefully recover something.  I don't know if such a
tool exists (that doesn't mean much though.  I had no idea that a tool such
as OST2PST existed).

If the data is mostly text, I would try opening the file with a good text
editor and scanning through it.  If it is more complex data, unfortunately
you may be stuck.

Sorry,
Charles Villa

Quote:> Hi,

 http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q243/9/28.asp

--
Corrections are welcome.

For "Good post" practice visit

Kirill.

Help needed: PST recovery

Post by Jacques Vida » Wed, 11 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Charles Villa a crit dans le message ...

Quote:>I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the utility is probably correct.
>If the user synchronized to an empty mailbox, all the previous mail items
in
>the OST file would be marked as deleted.  OST (and PST) files commonly
>maintain thier size until compacted.  If the compaction did not occur yet,
>the OST file could be large, while only having a few visible items.  To
>recover, you need a tool that can read through the rest of the file that is
>marked as deleted and hopefully recover something.  I don't know if such a
>tool exists

That would be great.

Quote:>that doesn't mean much though.  I had no idea that a tool such
>as OST2PST existed).

I ran scanpst against the said PST file. It found
some errors, and said there were 40 folders
and 1200+ items in it. This didn't help much,
though - same result as above.

I also tried to compress the PST file, but it didn't
shrink much (always ~40 Mb in size).

Quote:>If the data is mostly text, I would try opening the file with a good text
>editor and scanning through it.  If it is more complex data, unfortunately
>you may be stuck.

Yes, I also tried that, on both files (OST and PST)
with editors and dump utilities, but the files seem
to be encoded.

Jacques

1. Disaster Recovery - I need to create damage in InfoStore to test recovery procedures

Sounds strange, but I haven't been able to do this.  Can anyone help?

I'm doing disaster recovery testing, and in order to test procedures
for database repair (ESEUTIL, ISINTEG), I need to intentionally DAMAGE
an Exchange database.

Here's what I've done so far:

1.  Delete all log files
2.  Stop info store
3.  Wrote the following batch file and let it run for 15 minutes:
        :begin
        echo awefawefwefwefwe4fwefwefwefwef >> priv1.edb
        goto begin
        :end

I thought for sure that this would cause damage, but it hasn't.  I
can't damage this database!  If anyone can give me some hints on how
to BREAK e2K, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
-Joe Keegan
MCP, MCSE, CCNA

2. Exchange Messenger Log In Problems

3. Need help with Offline Storage recovery

4. Site connector between Org's

5. Help needed... Orphaned Mailbox Recovery

6. cannot send email outside of the company

7. Urgent help needed - disaster recovery issue

8. PEGASUS to EXCHANGE .PST

9. disaster recovery help needed

10. HELP --need Recovery Advice

11. Help needed with Disaster Recovery exercise

12. recovery server help needed

13. URGENT - Help needed on IS recovery