Exch 5.5: How to auto generate smtp address when alias is differerent then username@

Post by Brian Oste » Wed, 26 Dec 2001 00:58:17

All my NT accounts are in the form of First Letter of first name, next
7 letters of last name i.e. %1First%7Last so this is how I set up my
auto-generation of alias names.  This way, all my pop3 clients have to
do for username is domain\username.  However, my smtp address consist
of the whole first and last name i.e. %First%Last.  However, the smtp
address that gets auto generated uses the alias format.  Is there
anyway to have the smtp address generate using %First%Last yet still
have the alias generate using %1First%7Last  ?

Brian Oster

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Wed, 26 Dec 2001 07:08:49

>All my NT accounts are in the form of First Letter of first name, next
>7 letters of last name i.e. %1First%7Last so this is how I set up my
>auto-generation of alias names.  This way, all my pop3 clients have to
>do for username is domain\username.  However, my smtp address consist
>of the whole first and last name i.e. %First%Last.  However, the smtp
>address that gets auto generated uses the alias format.  Is there
>anyway to have the smtp address generate using %First%Last yet still
>have the alias generate using %1First%7Last  ?

Sure. Change the site's SMTP address in the Site Addressing object.

The important components of the construct are:
%g = given name
%s = surname
%i = initials
%m = alias (this is the default)