Local user instead of domain user

Local user instead of domain user

Post by Martin Quin » Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:00:00



Is it possible to have a mailbox's associated NT account reside on just
the Exchange box and not a part of the entire domain?  If so how do you
select the local account?
 
 
 

Local user instead of domain user

Post by Wesley Peace [MVP » Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:00:00


No,  review the requirements for Exchange Server, they explicitly state an
NT Domain is required and user accounts from the domain are required for
login validation. What's the issue with a domain account?

--
-------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft BackOffice/Exchange MVP

Exchange FAQ at   http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm
                               http://www.exchangefaq.org


Quote:> Is it possible to have a mailbox's associated NT account reside on just
> the Exchange box and not a part of the entire domain?  If so how do you
> select the local account?


 
 
 

Local user instead of domain user

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:00:00


No, this is not possible.
Why do you ask?


> Is it possible to have a mailbox's associated NT account reside on just
> the Exchange box and not a part of the entire domain?  If so how do you
> select the local account?

--
If you feel that anything in my post needs correction - feel free to do so
(in group).

Kirill

 
 
 

Local user instead of domain user

Post by Martin Quin » Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:00:00


The reason I am asking this is because we are startin Exchange hosting
and don't want to put these users in our domain but also didn't want to
go through the hassle of creating a new domain for each client.  Ideally
we would merely have to set up an Exchange server and add the users to
the computer account but apparently that is not possible.  Thank you for
your help.
 
 
 

Local user instead of domain user

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:00:00


If you are going to do ISP with Exchange you will have big difficulties.


> The reason I am asking this is because we are startin Exchange hosting
> and don't want to put these users in our domain but also didn't want to
> go through the hassle of creating a new domain for each client.  Ideally
> we would merely have to set up an Exchange server and add the users to
> the computer account but apparently that is not possible.  Thank you for
> your help.

--
If you feel that anything in my post needs correction - feel free to do so
(in group).

Kirill

 
 
 

Local user instead of domain user

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:00:00



>The reason I am asking this is because we are startin Exchange hosting
>and don't want to put these users in our domain but also didn't want to
>go through the hassle of creating a new domain for each client.  Ideally
>we would merely have to set up an Exchange server and add the users to
>the computer account but apparently that is not possible.  Thank you for
>your help.

You can create one NT Domain for ALL the external users (clients) and
have the Exchange server's domain trust that domain. There's no need
to have separate domains for each client (at least I dont think there
is). But if I'm wrong then you should also consider that the client
may demand that they be given *their* information store and
transaction log files if they (a) choose to leave your service, (b)
have to produce those files as evidence in legal proceedings, or (c)
just to be a PITA. Other of your clients may object to your giving up
*their* information to the other client, in this case. IOW, I don't
think you've thought this through very well.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP
MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

 
 
 

Local user instead of domain user

Post by Martin Quin » Wed, 26 Jan 2000 04:00:00


How can you assume I haven't thought this through?  I am just beginning
to gather the information for my company to decide if we can do this.
You can look at the Exchange section of this website and see that there
are companies already doing hosting Exchange.  Each client will have
their own Exchange server so giving them back there IS will not be a
problem.
 
 
 

Local user instead of domain user

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Wed, 26 Jan 2000 04:00:00



>How can you assume I haven't thought this through?  

Possibly because of incomplete information.

Quote:>I am just beginning
>to gather the information for my company to decide if we can do this.
>You can look at the Exchange section of this website

And what website might that be? I'm reading your questions and
replying in a newsgroup.

Quote:>and see that there
>are companies already doing hosting Exchange.  

Yes, there are. But I knew that already, thanks.

Quote:>Each client will have
>their own Exchange server so giving them back there IS will not be a
>problem.

Then each Exchange server can also be in it's own NT domain, right? I
guess I don't see the problem.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP
MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

 
 
 

Local user instead of domain user

Post by Martin Quin » Wed, 26 Jan 2000 04:00:00


Quote:>How can you assume I haven't >thought this through?  
>Possibly because of incomplete >information.

That is what gathering information is all about.

Quote:>And what website might that be? >I'm reading your questions and
>replying in a newsgroup.

That would be Microsofts web site.

Quote:>there
>are companies already doing >hosting Exchange.  
>Yes, there are. But I knew that >already, thanks.

That was stated as a point of fact, I was not patronizing you.  I see
how perfect you I wouldn't even think of doing something like that.

Quote:>Each client will have
>their own Exchange server so >giving them back there IS will >not be a
>problem.
>Then each Exchange server can >also be in it's own NT domain, >right? I
>guess I don't see the problem.

You obviously are not following this, the whole point of this was to
avoid having a domain for each client but thanks for your help or lack
there of.