Can one recipient accept mails sent to *@domain?

Post by Twan van de Westerl » Sun, 14 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

Is it possible to configure a recipient to accept mails for

i.e. I want to recieve all messages sent to a domain  in one mailbox without
Exchange rejecting any of them.
(ofcourse I don't want to add all posible e-mail addresses for a domain to a
recipient ;-))

Anyone got an idea?

Greetings,
Twan van de Westerlo

Can one recipient accept mails sent to *@domain?

Post by <eara.. » Sun, 14 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I can't think of another way of getting this to work besides adding the
secondary-proxy-addresses to the recipients.  If you decide to add the
secondary addresses you may want to use the Directory Import & Export
feature of Exchange.  Create a text file with the following row:

Obj-Class,Common-Name,Display-Name,Alias-Name,Home-Server

Add another entry to the header called "Seconday-Proxy-Addresses" and export
your recipients container using this file to create a *.csv file.  Open the
*.csv file using Excel and add the secondary e-mail addresses to the
"Secondary-Proxy-Addresses" column in the following format:

spaces).  Add as many addresses as you need for each user.

When you import he *.csv file back into the directory make sure you choose
the option to "Append"  in the Multivalued Properties section.

Hope it helps.  Let me know if you find an easier way.

>Hi,

>Is it possible to configure a recipient to accept mails for

>i.e. I want to recieve all messages sent to a domain  in one mailbox
without
>Exchange rejecting any of them.
>(ofcourse I don't want to add all posible e-mail addresses for a domain to
>recipient ;-))

>Anyone got an idea?

>Greetings,
>Twan van de Westerlo

Can one recipient accept mails sent to *@domain?

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Sun, 14 Mar 1999 04:00:00

This silly question asked about 4 times a week. The answer is simple - it can
not be done.
Why do you need to?

> Hi,

> Is it possible to configure a recipient to accept mails for

> i.e. I want to recieve all messages sent to a domain  in one mailbox without
> Exchange rejecting any of them.
> (ofcourse I don't want to add all posible e-mail addresses for a domain to a
> recipient ;-))

> Anyone got an idea?

> Greetings,
> Twan van de Westerlo

Can one recipient accept mails sent to *@domain?

Post by Tim Tyle » Sun, 14 Mar 1999 04:00:00

It is HARDLY a "silly question".

Just about every other internet mail server has this ability. MSExchange, no
doubt due to its origins in the corporate in-house messaging world, does
not.

I cannot imagine that MS is not going to sometime asdd this feature to the
product. They'd be nuts not to.

Quote:>This silly question asked about 4 times a week. The answer is simple - it
can
>not be done.
>Why do you need to?

Can one recipient accept mails sent to *@domain?

Post by Greg Aske » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Actually the feature already exists.  If the IMS is configured to
provide NDRs for all events, the postmaster will receive a copy
of the message.

--
Greg Askew

--

Post by Rich Matheis » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>It is HARDLY a "silly question".

>Just about every other internet mail server has this ability. MSExchange, no
>doubt due to its origins in the corporate in-house messaging world, does
>not.

The IMS is _not_ an "internet mail server." It's a gateway. Without an
Exchange server the IMS doesn not exist. The Exchange server uses the
IMS in the same way it uses MS Mail, cc:Mail, etc. gateways -- to
communicate with other mail systems.

I don't expect a SMTP system to "speak" X.400 or MS Mail.

Quote:>I cannot imagine that MS is not going to sometime asdd this feature to the
>product. They'd be nuts not to.

The function of delivering all messages addressed to a specific e-mail
domain to a single mailbox is a "trick" used by ISP's that wish to
sell cheap e-mail service. But once the messages are mixed within a
single mailbox the ability to reliably separate them is gone.

If you really want to accomplish this then simply modify the IMCEXT
source code and provide your own routing for mail. The program isn't
large and the processing isn't very complicated. If there's a market
for that function you'll make a fortune!

Richard Matheisen                             Wang Global
Microsoft Certified System Engineer           Tewksbury, MA

Can one recipient accept mails sent to *@domain?

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Based on frequency of such questions I would say that he can earn at least
_some_ money.
P.S. Where do I get source code for imcext.
Thanks.

> If you really want to accomplish this then simply modify the IMCEXT
> source code and provide your own routing for mail. The program isn't
> large and the processing isn't very complicated. If there's a market
> for that function you'll make a fortune!

> Richard Matheisen                             Wang Global
> Microsoft Certified System Engineer           Tewksbury, MA

Can one recipient accept mails sent to *@domain?

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I strongly believe that Twan had an intention to not to send this NDR to the rest of the world.
And I still do not understand why somebody needs to.

> Actually the feature already exists.  If the IMS is configured to
> provide NDRs for all events, the postmaster will receive a copy
> of the message.

> --
> Greg Askew

> --

> >It is HARDLY a "silly question".

> >Just about every other internet mail server has this ability. MSExchange, no
> >doubt due to its origins in the corporate in-house messaging world, does
> >not.

> >I cannot imagine that MS is not going to sometime asdd this feature to the
> >product. They'd be nuts not to.

> >>This silly question asked about 4 times a week. The answer is simple - it
> >can
> >>not be done.
> >>Why do you need to?

Can one recipient accept mails sent to *@domain?

Post by Greg Aske » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

It answers at least one of his questions.  IF he was also asking
how to prevent Exchange from sending NDRs to the sender, he should
 ask that question, although I'm not aware of how to prevent this.
I did not infer the word "reject" to mean "not send an NDR".
--
Greg Askew

--

>I strongly believe that Twan had an intention to not to send this NDR to the rest of the world.
>And I still do not understand why somebody needs to.

>> Actually the feature already exists.  If the IMS is configured to
>> provide NDRs for all events, the postmaster will receive a copy
>> of the message.

>> --
>> Greg Askew

>> --

>> >It is HARDLY a "silly question".

>> >Just about every other internet mail server has this ability. MSExchange, no
>> >doubt due to its origins in the corporate in-house messaging world, does
>> >not.

>> >I cannot imagine that MS is not going to sometime asdd this feature to the
>> >product. They'd be nuts not to.

>> >can

Can one recipient accept mails sent to *@domain?

Post by Rich Matheis » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Based on frequency of such questions I would say that he can earn at least
>_some_ money.
>P.S. Where do I get source code for imcext.

The Exchange Resource Kit (or the BORK).

Richard Matheisen                             Wang Global
Microsoft Certified System Engineer           Tewksbury, MA

Can one recipient accept mails sent to *@domain?

Post by David Snyder » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Here's why...
You wanted to act as the internet mail server for several client companies.
We are in exactly this position.  Some of our clients have opted to go with
an ISP that only
gives them 5 email accounts.  Others are with ISPs that give individual
accounts.  If anyone
gets hired or fired, the ISP needs to be told.  Yuck!

Then the mail program from domain1 network would connect and download all
the mail for
domain1 (domain2 doing likewise).   We don't have to maintain lists of users
at each domain.
It is handled locally, as it should be.

Quote:>I strongly believe that Twan had an intention to not to send this NDR to

Post by Rich Matheis » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>Here's why...
>You wanted to act as the internet mail server for several client companies.

Then act as an ISP. Offer them the service they really want: SMTP.

>We are in exactly this position.  Some of our clients have opted to go with
>an ISP that only
>gives them 5 email accounts.  Others are with ISPs that give individual
>accounts.  If anyone
>gets hired or fired, the ISP needs to be told.  Yuck!

>Then the mail program from domain1 network would connect and download all
>the mail for
>domain1 (domain2 doing likewise).   We don't have to maintain lists of users
>at each domain.

Then why not use SMTP? Why dump messages into a single mailbox, where
they become hopelessly entangled, and then try sorting them out with
some kludge?

Quote:>It is handled locally, as it should be.

Just as every SMTP server does.

Richard Matheisen                             Wang Global
Microsoft Certified System Engineer           Tewksbury, MA

Can one recipient accept mails sent to *@domain?

Thanks.

Post by Rich Matheis » Fri, 19 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>>>It answers at least one of his questions.  IF he was also asking
>>>how to prevent Exchange from sending NDRs to the sender, he should
>>> ask that question, although I'm not aware of how to prevent this.
>>>I did not infer the word "reject" to mean "not send an NDR".

>>        IIRC, not sending an NDR for a non-existent address would be a
>>violation of the SMTP RFC (or one of those RFCs; I forget which one).

>RFC821? :)

And RFC1123, which filled in a few gaps in the original spec.

Richard Matheisen                             Wang Global
Microsoft Certified System Engineer           Tewksbury, MA

Can one recipient accept mails sent to *@domain?

Post by Rich Matheis » Fri, 19 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>>Then act as an ISP. Offer them the service they really want: SMTP.

>Does Exchange do SMTP?

Yes, it does.

Quote:>>Then why not use SMTP? Why dump messages into a single mailbox, where
>>they become hopelessly entangled, and then try sorting them out with
>>some kludge?
>I was under the impression that putting all the mail into a single mailbox
>is what SMTP did.  Hmmm... I'll have to take a closer look at this.

SMTP delivers messages to other SMTP servers. The placement of the
messages into usable containers (mailboxes) is a function of the local
system and isn't covered in the RFC's for SMTP.

Quote:>BTW, we use a wonderful program called MDAEMON.  Very professional, and far
>from a kludge.

If it places all the messages into a single mailbox then it's a kludge
-- regardless of how well it seems to work. There's simply no way to
recover the original addressing from the RFC822 message body. That
addressing exists only in the "envelope" and that's discarded when the
message is stored.

1. Can one recipient accept mails sent to *@domain?

Hi,

Is it possible to configure a recipient to accept mails for

i.e. I want to recieve all messages sent to a domain  in one mailbox without
Exchange rejecting any of them.
(ofcourse I don't want to add all posible e-mail addresses for a domain to a
recipient ;-))

Anyone got an idea?

Greetings,
Twan van de Westerlo

2. Fax Service

3. IMS - One e-mail recipient for one domain ???

4. Send messages to pop3-client

5. Personal Folders

6. Accepting e-mail from more than one domain

7. IMS Queue

8. Accepting e-mail for 2 different domain name on one Exchanger Server (4.0)

9. Accepting all e-mail for a domain regardless of recipient's existence

10. One recipient for any address sent to a domain

11. User can only send mail to one domain eg.@domain.com

12. Unable to send mail to all domains except one domain