Backing up Exchange 2000 SP1

Post by b » Thu, 09 Aug 2001 13:36:57

Here's one for the group:

    I have just been put in charge of maintaining a 2000 Exchange box. A
backup had never been done on the system and it's been up for about 6
months. Besides discovering a MDBDATA directory with months of 5 Mg data
files and thus, a nearly full hard drive, the system seems OK. A low user
count helped, but that's changing.

Typing "backup" in help tells you how to run a backup, but it insists in
several places that the backup utility that comes with Windows 2000 won't
work.

    However, if you follow the instructions exactly,  they seem to point you
to use the standard backup utility (Start/Programs/Accessories/System
Tools/Backup) but just point to a mystical "exchange" store that resides on
the desktop. I followed the instructions and everything seemed to work fine.
The logs cleared and I got my drive space back and a nice little (full) 4mm
tape. Everything is working fine.

    But I don't get it. Why do the instructions continually insist that we
should not use the standard backup utility that comes with Windows 2000? Do
they just mean that we shouldn't use the "backup entire system" command and
back up the Exchange store separately or that we should go buy a third party
program? If so, which one?

    Any thoughts much apreciated.

Alex Kasper

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Thu, 09 Aug 2001 15:58:50

> <snip>

>     But I don't get it. Why do the instructions

What instructions? Can you provide a link and a qoute?

Quote:> continually insist that we
> should not use the standard backup utility that comes with Windows 2000? Do
> they just mean that we shouldn't use the "backup entire system" command and
> back up the Exchange store separately or that we should go buy a third party
> program? If so, which one?

Probably they mean that you shoould backup InfoStore separately. See
 http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/techinfo/deployment/2000/E2Krecover...

Quote:

>     Any thoughts much apreciated.

> Alex Kasper

Corrections are welcome.
Please keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

Kirill

1. Brick Level Back Ups on DC using ARCserve 2000

Question:  I have 4 Exchange Servers (5.5 SP4).  Two are member servers and
two are domain controllers (NT 4.0 SP6a).  I created a user (dbagent) in the
domain for the ARCserve 2000 (SP3) Exchange Agent to use for back ups.  I
had to create the account locally (dbagent) on the two member servers as
well to access the information store.

Well, when I view user mailboxes for brick level back ups, I don't see any
of the mailboxes on the two domain controllers.  I am natually to assume the
problem lies with no local account for the agent.  I am stumped as to what
do do to rectify this issue.

Jim Hunt, MCSE

2. Contact Saved as HTM file?

3. Reading old Exchange back-ups

4. Not an Open Relay, but...

5. Exchange Back-Ups?

6. Suspect Information Store

7. Exchange Back-ups?

8. NNTP Setup - Sending news upstream (ver 5.0)

9. Exclusions from Back-ups

10. ArcServe versus Seagate for reliable back-ups?

11. Back ups

12. backing up Exchange 5.5 sp1 with Arcserve 6.5 dbagent