Exchange to SQL Db

Post by Chris knap » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

I'm using an Exchange 5.5 server as the primary "information store" for the
company's employees.  We house information like extension number, home
phone, etc in exchange and modify the data using the Exchnage admin tool.

What I want to do, and I know its possible using LDAP somehow, is pull that
data out of the exchange server and dump it into an SQL 7 database for easy
access with ASP or Coldfusion. I'd run the export every night tio keep the
SQL database updated.

Can this be done?  If so can somebody point me in the right direction?

Many thanks,

Chris Knapp

Exchange to SQL Db

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:00:00

>I'm using an Exchange 5.5 server as the primary "information store" for the
>company's employees.  We house information like extension number, home
>phone, etc in exchange and modify the data using the Exchnage admin tool.

>What I want to do, and I know its possible using LDAP somehow, is pull that
>data out of the exchange server and dump it into an SQL 7 database for easy
>access with ASP or Coldfusion. I'd run the export every night tio keep the
>SQL database updated.

>Can this be done?  If so can somebody point me in the right direction?

Why bother putting the information in another database? Why not just
use ADSI and ADO to read the information right from the Exchange
directory (or from the W2K Active Directory)? SQL is SQL and ADSI/ADO
let's you use the same dialect regardless of the data source.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Exchange to SQL Db

Post by Siegfried Weber [MVP-Exchange » Sun, 12 Nov 2000 12:52:49

Yes, it can be done either using LDAP, or better, ADSI. Check
http://www.microsoft.com/adsi and d/l the ADSI SDK to find a bunch of
samples.

--
Siegfried Weber

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP) - Exchange Server
Co-author of "Professional CDO Programming", Wrox Press 1999

CDOLive - The Premier Resource for Microsoft Messaging and Collaboration
Application Development
http://www.cdolive.com

Please reply to the newsgroups so that others can benefit from the
discussion.
Questions by e-mail are discarded without further notice - filter active.

Quote:> Hello,

> I'm using an Exchange 5.5 server as the primary "information store" for
the
> company's employees.  We house information like extension number, home
> phone, etc in exchange and modify the data using the Exchnage admin tool.

> What I want to do, and I know its possible using LDAP somehow, is pull
that
> data out of the exchange server and dump it into an SQL 7 database for
easy
> access with ASP or Coldfusion. I'd run the export every night tio keep the
> SQL database updated.

> Can this be done?  If so can somebody point me in the right direction?

> Many thanks,

> Chris Knapp

Exchange to SQL Db

Post by Chris knap » Sun, 12 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Thx, but will it still work on NT4/ Exchange 5.5?  can you point me to some
code examples or other documentation?  I basically just want to make a phone
book for all of our employees.

> >I'm using an Exchange 5.5 server as the primary "information store" for
the
> >company's employees.  We house information like extension number, home
> >phone, etc in exchange and modify the data using the Exchnage admin tool.

> >What I want to do, and I know its possible using LDAP somehow, is pull
that
> >data out of the exchange server and dump it into an SQL 7 database for
easy
> >access with ASP or Coldfusion. I'd run the export every night tio keep
the
> >SQL database updated.

> >Can this be done?  If so can somebody point me in the right direction?

> Why bother putting the information in another database? Why not just
> use ADSI and ADO to read the information right from the Exchange
> directory (or from the W2K Active Directory)? SQL is SQL and ADSI/ADO
> let's you use the same dialect regardless of the data source.

> ------------------
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Exchange to SQL Db

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sun, 12 Nov 2000 04:00:00

>Thx, but will it still work on NT4/ Exchange 5.5?

Yes, it will.

Quote:>can you point me to some
>code examples or other documentation?  I basically just want to make a phone
>book for all of our employees.

That's a pretty easy thing to do. Are you doing if from a web page? If
there isn't an example in the book "ADSI CDO Programming with ASP"
(ISBN 1-861001-90-8) you'll probably find enough examples to get you
started. You can also find a wealth of information in the ADSI SDK and
in the Database and Messaging part of the Platform SDK.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. Exchange to SQL Db

Hello,

I'm using an Exchange 5.5 server as the primary "information store" for the
company's employees.  We house information like extension number, home
phone, etc in exchange and modify the data using the Exchnage admin tool.

What I want to do, and I know its possible using LDAP somehow, is pull that
data out of the exchange server and dump it into an SQL 7 database for easy
access with ASP or Coldfusion. I'd run the export every night tio keep the
SQL database updated.

Can this be done?  If so can somebody point me in the right direction?

Many thanks,

Chris Knapp

2. Mialbox username

3. Mailbox size restriction

4. Exchange 2000 and SQL db sychronisation for Contacts

5. Migrate Mailboxes from 5.5 to 2000

6. Editing Exchange DB files with Access or SQL tools

7. Mac 4.0 client problem

8. Exchange 2000 and SQL db sychronisation for Contacts

9. Editing Exchange Server DB files with ACCESS or SQL tools

10. Exchange 2000 and SQL db sychronisation for Contacts

11. Script will not Insert data to SQL db

12. Update SQL DB from outlook98 form?