FSMO move now can't create mailboxes.

Post by Keit » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 12:39:08

I moved my FSMO role to a new server after my original had a slow *
death of the RAID controller.  Now everything has been running for 2 weeks
w/ no problems but when adding a new user I don't have Exchange Mailbox
options anymore, only Instant Messaging options.  Does this require a Domain
Prep again?

FSMO move now can't create mailboxes.

Post by Keit » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 13:16:14

 Actually it only would not let me make a mailbox for a copied user.  I
deleted the copied user and created him manually and I got the mailbox
creation option and all Exchange options are available under Properties...
Hmmm.

> I moved my FSMO role to a new server after my original had a slow *
> death of the RAID controller.  Now everything has been running for 2 weeks
> w/ no problems but when adding a new user I don't have Exchange Mailbox
> options anymore, only Instant Messaging options.  Does this require a
Domain
> Prep again?

FSMO move now can't create mailboxes.

Post by Tom Meunie » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 13:32:45

Shouldn't be necessary.  But you won't have the Exchange options unless you
install the Exchange management tools on it, just run setup.exe from the
Exchange CD and deselect everything else.  Then apply whatever service pack
your Exchange server has, so they match.

Now if you're saying that this is the behavior on the Exchange Server box
itself, I'd say go ahead & give it a shot.
--

-tom

> I moved my FSMO role to a new server after my original had a slow *
> death of the RAID controller.  Now everything has been running for 2 weeks
> w/ no problems but when adding a new user I don't have Exchange Mailbox
> options anymore, only Instant Messaging options.  Does this require a
Domain
> Prep again?

FSMO move now can't create mailboxes.

Post by John Oliver, Jr. [MVP » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 00:57:25

Make sure that the Domain Controller used by the Exchange Server has changed
too.  In ESM on the Server, Properties-General Tab to insure its using the
new DC.

> I moved my FSMO role to a new server after my original had a slow *
> death of the RAID controller.  Now everything has been running for 2 weeks
> w/ no problems but when adding a new user I don't have Exchange Mailbox
> options anymore, only Instant Messaging options.  Does this require a
Domain
> Prep again?

FSMO move now can't create mailboxes.

Post by Keith Hanna » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 02:22:48

In my followup I describe that it is using a DC that in another location.  I
would expect that one of the local server would answer this if it is one of
the "who answers first" operations.  They aren't busy at all.  Oh, the
problem was only w/ copied users.  I deleted the user and recreated and I
got the Exchange options.

> Make sure that the Domain Controller used by the Exchange Server has
changed
> too.  In ESM on the Server, Properties-General Tab to insure its using the
> new DC.

Quote:> > I moved my FSMO role to a new server after my original had a slow *
> > death of the RAID controller.  Now everything has been running for 2
weeks
> > w/ no problems but when adding a new user I don't have Exchange Mailbox
> > options anymore, only Instant Messaging options.  Does this require a
> Domain
> > Prep again?

FSMO move now can't create mailboxes.

Post by Ed Woodric » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 11:17:41

and make sure that SP2 is on the box.

> Make sure that the Domain Controller used by the Exchange Server has
changed
> too.  In ESM on the Server, Properties-General Tab to insure its using the
> new DC.

Quote:> > I moved my FSMO role to a new server after my original had a slow *
> > death of the RAID controller.  Now everything has been running for 2
weeks
> > w/ no problems but when adding a new user I don't have Exchange Mailbox
> > options anymore, only Instant Messaging options.  Does this require a
> Domain
> > Prep again?

1. Create mailboxes doesn't actually create a mailbox

Hi,

I noticed a strange behavior in Exchange 2000. When you
create a mailbox in Exchange 2000, it appears that it
doesn't really create a mailbox store until the user logs
in with a mail client (ie. it creates the inbox, sent
items, trash with Exchange client, or the whole folder
list with outlook.)

Does anyone know why this happens?

Is there anyway to create the empty mailbox short of
opening outlook?

Thanks in advance,
Keith Henkell

2. OWA password change

3. Moving mailbox using Exchange Administrator's Tools--->Move Mailbox

4. Deleting a large batch of users

5. Mailbox limit canned message

6. All uses have the same reply email address

7. Creating new user in AD doesn't create new mailbox

8. GroupWise 4.1 To Exchange 5.5 Migration

9. Creating New User Doesn't Create New Mailbox

10. Can create users but can't create mailboxes

11. API : move user's mailbox does not move the mails

12. Moving 5 FSMO roles to new DC

13. 1 Quick Question about Moving FSMO Roles