Problems with SSL imap on Ex5.5

Post by Al Blak » Thu, 27 Apr 2000 04:00:00

How can I check whether SSL imap is working on Ex5.5. We have a valid secure
key installed on our exchange 5.5 server. We are using the same key for all
protocols. (https, pop, ldap, imap).
https is working just fine. ie users can connect to the Outlook web client
using a secure browser connection so the key is ok.
imap is also working. Users can send and retreive messages from the same ex
server using imap.pop is also working.

When telneting to the ex server on port 143 I see an imap prompt.
Despite SSL authentication being enabled for the imap protocol and a valid
key showing under key manager when I telnet to port 993 on the ex server I
see nothing. The telnet session connects to the port (ie the port exists)
but disconnects at the first carriage return.
I have full logging for the imap protocol on the ex server but never see an
incoming conection. I do see an incoming connection when I use plain imap
(port 143)

How can I trace SSL imap on an ex server?
Is there anything I have to enable anywhere else (IIS??) to get port 993 SSL
imap to work?

Thanks
________________________________
Al Blake,  Information Technology Manager
Secretariat of the Pacific Community.
BPD5 98848 Noumea Cedex.
New Caledonia.
Tel +687 26.01.44 Fax +687 26.38.18

Web: http://www.spc.int/
____________________________________

Problems with SSL imap on Ex5.5

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Thu, 27 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Go to server itself and at command promt run
telnet localhost 993
What is the result?

--
If you feel that anything in my post needs correction - feel free to do so.

Kirill

Problems with SSL imap on Ex5.5

Post by Al Blak » Fri, 28 Apr 2000 04:00:00

On the exchange server:
 If I telnet to the IP of the server 993...it connects (ie there is an open
port) but I see NO PROMPT. Should I see one? If I telnet to port 143 I get a
prompt.

Incidentally...if I ping localhost I get a reply (from 127.0.0.1). If I try
to telnet to localhost I get 'host not found'. It seems that localhost
resolves under a command prompt (Its in Hosts file) but does not resolve
when using a windows program (like telnet)....which uses a dns server? I
tried three NT servers and get the same result. I dont know whether this is
related to the imap SSL problem - I suspect not?

> Go to server itself and at command promt run
> telnet localhost 993
> What is the result?

> > How can I check whether SSL imap is working on Ex5.5. We have a valid
secure
> > key installed on our exchange 5.5 server. We are using the same key for
all
> > protocols. (https, pop, ldap, imap).
> > https is working just fine. ie users can connect to the Outlook web
client
> > using a secure browser connection so the key is ok.
> > imap is also working. Users can send and retreive messages from the same
ex
> > server using imap.pop is also working.

> > When telneting to the ex server on port 143 I see an imap prompt.
> > Despite SSL authentication being enabled for the imap protocol and a
valid
> > key showing under key manager when I telnet to port 993 on the ex server
> > see nothing. The telnet session connects to the port (ie the port
exists)
> > but disconnects at the first carriage return.
> > I have full logging for the imap protocol on the ex server but never see
an
> > incoming conection. I do see an incoming connection when I use plain
imap
> > (port 143)

> > How can I trace SSL imap on an ex server?
> > Is there anything I have to enable anywhere else (IIS??) to get port 993
SSL
> > imap to work?

> > Thanks
> > ________________________________
> > Al Blake,  Information Technology Manager
> > Secretariat of the Pacific Community.
> > BPD5 98848 Noumea Cedex.
> > New Caledonia.
> > Tel +687 26.01.44 Fax +687 26.38.18

> > Web: http://www.spc.int/
> > ____________________________________

> --
> If you feel that anything in my post needs correction - feel free to do
so.
> And please, keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

> Kirill

Problems with SSL imap on Ex5.5

Post by Al Blak » Fri, 28 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Just added the reverse lookup to my dns server for 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa.....

Now:
On the exchange server:
telnet localhost 25
gives me the smtp prompt.
telnet localhost 993
gives me 'connect failed'

WHY ???????

> On the exchange server:
>  If I telnet to the IP of the server 993...it connects (ie there is an
open
> port) but I see NO PROMPT. Should I see one? If I telnet to port 143 I get
> prompt.

> Incidentally...if I ping localhost I get a reply (from 127.0.0.1). If I
try
> to telnet to localhost I get 'host not found'. It seems that localhost
> resolves under a command prompt (Its in Hosts file) but does not resolve
> when using a windows program (like telnet)....which uses a dns server? I
> tried three NT servers and get the same result. I dont know whether this
is
> related to the imap SSL problem - I suspect not?

message

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Fri, 28 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> On the exchange server:
>  If I telnet to the IP of the server 993...it connects (ie there is an open
> port) but I see NO PROMPT. Should I see one? If I telnet to port 143 I get a
> prompt.

> Incidentally...if I ping localhost I get a reply (from 127.0.0.1). If I try
> to telnet to localhost

On what port?

--
If you feel that anything in my post needs correction - feel free to do so.

Kirill

Problems with SSL imap on Ex5.5

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Fri, 28 Apr 2000 04:00:00

One more thing. You can go to
http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?FR=0&SA=GN&LNG=ENG
and search for
ssl imap
about All products
against Full text

--
If you feel that anything in my post needs correction - feel free to do so.

Kirill

Problems with SSL imap on Ex5.5

Post by Al Blak » Sat, 29 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Can anyone tell me if a
telnet to port 993

on an ex server running SSL imap should return a prompt? (to the telnet
session).
Mine doesnt.

> [...]

> imap
> > > (port 143)

> > > How can I trace SSL imap on an ex server?
> > > Is there anything I have to enable anywhere else (IIS??) to get port
993
> SSL
> > > imap to work?

> > > Thanks
> > > ________________________________
> > > Al Blake,  Information Technology Manager
> > > Secretariat of the Pacific Community.
> > > BPD5 98848 Noumea Cedex.
> > > New Caledonia.
> > > Tel +687 26.01.44 Fax +687 26.38.18

> > > Web: http://www.spc.int/
> > > ____________________________________

> > --
> > If you feel that anything in my post needs correction - feel free to do
> so.
> > And please, keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can

1. Problems with SSL imap on Ex5.5

[...]

2. RAW SMTP Problem

3. Q: Pub Folders Move & Delete Prob.

4. IMAP SSL port problem

5. Global address book

6. Problems with SSL protected IMAP!

7. changeing internet password through exchange?

8. IMAP over SSL problem

9. SSL IMAP problem

10. Problems with SSL protected IMAP!

11. Possible SP4-Exchange 5.5 SP1 Problem - LDAP/SSL + IMAP + POP3 not working