Dedicated Exchange 5.5 connector server - corrupt transaction logs

Dedicated Exchange 5.5 connector server - corrupt transaction logs

Post by msnews.microsoft.co » Sat, 09 Aug 2003 05:54:44

Our backup person put on hold the backup of one of our Exchange server's
prior to him leaving on vacation.  Consequently, the transaction logs ran
out of space.  This specific Exchange 5.5 server only is being used for the
Internet Mail Connector and the Rightfax connector.  Thankfully, there are
no mailboxes on this server.  (** I continually move a portion of the
transaction logs to gain some available space, and IS service is running OK.
But, the backup system no longer works.  I am assuming it is related to the
transaction logs.)

Can't I just delete the transaction logs since I am not worrying about
losing any uncommitted data?  At one time, I thought that there was a KB
describing the process of deleting transaction logs.  Would anyone know of
the KB that I am talking about?

Am I on track thinking it is corrupt transaction logs?

Thanks

Ron

Dedicated Exchange 5.5 connector server - corrupt transaction logs

Post by Susan Conke » Sat, 09 Aug 2003 06:05:34

if this server does not house any mailboxes, you might want to just turn on
circular logging...that way you won't have this problem again...

Quote:> Our backup person put on hold the backup of one of our Exchange server's
> prior to him leaving on vacation.  Consequently, the transaction logs ran
> out of space.  This specific Exchange 5.5 server only is being used for
the
> Internet Mail Connector and the Rightfax connector.  Thankfully, there are
> no mailboxes on this server.  (** I continually move a portion of the
> transaction logs to gain some available space, and IS service is running
OK.
> But, the backup system no longer works.  I am assuming it is related to
the
> transaction logs.)

> Can't I just delete the transaction logs since I am not worrying about
> losing any uncommitted data?  At one time, I thought that there was a KB
> describing the process of deleting transaction logs.  Would anyone know of
> the KB that I am talking about?

> Am I on track thinking it is corrupt transaction logs?

> Thanks

> Ron

Dedicated Exchange 5.5 connector server - corrupt transaction logs

Post by msnews.microsoft.co » Sat, 09 Aug 2003 23:33:03

Yes.  This is the plan.  But don't I have to get the logs working correctly?

Ron

> if this server does not house any mailboxes, you might want to just turn
on
> circular logging...that way you won't have this problem again...

> > Our backup person put on hold the backup of one of our Exchange server's
> > prior to him leaving on vacation.  Consequently, the transaction logs
ran
> > out of space.  This specific Exchange 5.5 server only is being used for
> the
> > Internet Mail Connector and the Rightfax connector.  Thankfully, there
are
> > no mailboxes on this server.  (** I continually move a portion of the
> > transaction logs to gain some available space, and IS service is running
> OK.
> > But, the backup system no longer works.  I am assuming it is related to
> the
> > transaction logs.)

> > Can't I just delete the transaction logs since I am not worrying about
> > losing any uncommitted data?  At one time, I thought that there was a KB
> > describing the process of deleting transaction logs.  Would anyone know
of
> > the KB that I am talking about?

> > Am I on track thinking it is corrupt transaction logs?

> > Thanks

> > Ron

Dedicated Exchange 5.5 connector server - corrupt transaction logs

Post by Susan Conke » Wed, 13 Aug 2003 00:02:30

you should be able to just turn circular logging on, restart the services,
and then you can delete all those other transaction log files...but with
circular logging on, you cannot do incremental or differential backups -
only full backups...but that shouldn't be a problem with no mailboxes...