individual mailbox restore

Post by Jeff Brewe » Sat, 18 May 2002 22:32:00

Is there anyway to restore a single user's mailbox on an Exchange 2000
server without restoring the whole information store?

individual mailbox restore

Post by Ronen Gabba » Sat, 18 May 2002 23:36:15

Exchange keep deleted mailboxes for 30 days for retention
If you delete a user or a mailbox you can simply reconnect that
mailbox again , after the retention time you need to restore the
server .
You can perform a restore to an alternate server and extract
the data into PST then move the data to the production server.

--
Please do not send email directly to this alias.

Ronen Gabbay   MCT   MCSE+I   MCDBA
Hi-Tech College
ISRAEL

Quote:> Is there anyway to restore a single user's mailbox on an Exchange 2000
> server without restoring the whole information store?

individual mailbox restore

Post by John Bad » Sun, 19 May 2002 22:35:20

From Charles Villa (CVilla at tekscan dot com)

How to do everything without using brick-level backups

0) The point is to reduce the need for recovering items from tape. To
be honest, recovering items from the IS backup is a pain. But you only
pay that cost when you restore. Since we upgraded to 5.5 and been
using delete retention, I have only once needed to restore an item
from tape (because 6 months had transpired). The cost of brick-level
backups is paid on every backup: the extra space, the extra time and
the hiding of corrupt warnings.

1) Use deleted item retention (this cures problem #1, users deleting
things). For me, this is the best thing about Exchange 5.5. Set the
retention time to something long, say 30 days (you can use even more
if you have the disk space). Show your users how to recover deleted
items (it shows up as a menu item in Outlook, when viewing the
'deleted items' folder). This is the best, since you don't have to do
anything. The users do for themselves. If they come to you after the
retention time has expired, you get to give them a dope-slap and
charge their cost center for your time. Read item 3 for recovering
after the retention period. See
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q178/6/30.ASP for
recovering deleted items from all folders (thanks to Glen Morangie).

2) When someone leaves, don't immediately delete their mailbox. Remove
it from any distribution lists, take away any SMTP addresses, set the
alternate delivery to their boss (or someone else responsible), put
the leaving date in the notes field and mark it hidden. After some
time has gone by (say a month) and you are sure so one needs the
mailbox items, you can delete the mailbox.

3) This leaves admins who delete too early, users who wait too long,
and accidents that corrupt data. To recover a individual items, you
have to set up a recovery server (a machine created with a new site
and org, that happens to be the same site name and org name as the
original). You restore the entire IS to the recovery server and then
export the desired items as a .PST file. Import the items from the
.PST file into the production server. This method gives you exact
control over what you restore. You can export any mix of individual
items you choose

//mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm
Great reading for Exchange admins
essential for exchange server backup and restore

On Fri, 17 May 2002 16:36:15 +0200, "Ronen Gabbay"

Exchange keep deleted mailboxes for 30 days for retention
If you delete a user or a mailbox you can simply reconnect that
mailbox again , after the retention time you need to restore the
server .
You can perform a restore to an alternate server and extract
the data into PST then move the data to the production server.

                  _       ;--:-          __---------______________------ ____
               c--U---^--''__[__ooo__]---| |_!_||_!_||_!_||_!_||_! [_][++|--|]
     _--_     _|------------'_|,[______],|_________________|_|,|____|

individual mailbox restore

Post by Jim Matthew » Wed, 22 May 2002 01:23:25

Depends on how much data you have

As an additional means (in addition to IS Backup and deleted item
retention), I also run ExMerge every night for my 30 mailboxes and then back
them up to tape.

Quote:> Is there anyway to restore a single user's mailbox on an Exchange 2000
> server without restoring the whole information store?

1. Individual Mailbox Restore

Hello
I'm new to Exchange and AD. I have inherited this system.

Can anyone please tell me if there is a straight forward
way of restoring just one single mailbox from backup. We
use Veritas Backup Exec.

I am getting the feeling that we should have a dedicated
server with Exchange and AD set up somewhere purely for
restoration and that this should have been tested
previously.

It seems like the sledgehammer to crack the walnut
approach...

Thanks

2. install LDAP service?

3. Restoring Individual Mailbox???

4. Moving to exchange 2000

5. Backup and Restore of Individual Mailbox with ARCserveIT 6.61

6. Using Exchange on Netware/WFWG network

7. Information Restore / Individual Mailbox

8. Multiple profiles on one computer...

9. How to restore individual mailbox from backup

10. How to restore individual mailbox

11. Restoring Individual mailboxes from backup

12. Restoring individual mailbox

13. Restoring individual mailboxes Exch 5.5