Preventing mail-relay to stop spammers

Post by Jin Hwan » Sat, 02 Dec 2000 04:00:00

I know that its very simple to use Exchange server to relay spam.  I tried to
setup routing restrictions on Exchange 5.5 sp2 so that only members of a certain
IP segment are able to route e-mail to the outside world.  However, Macintosh
Computers are not able to send mail to the outside even though their ip's are in
the range of allowed hosts to route.  They receive a  "Relay Prohibited" error
message.  (The MACs cannot use Outlook to connect via MAPI mail they must use
pop/smtp).  How can Exchange be safeguarded from Spam Relaying and keep the MACs
happy.  TIA for your insights.

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Sun, 03 Dec 2000 16:20:17

> I know that its very simple to use Exchange server to relay spam.  I tried to
> setup routing restrictions on Exchange 5.5 sp2 so that only members of a certain
> IP segment are able to route e-mail to the outside world.  However, Macintosh
> Computers are not able to send mail to the outside even though their ip's are in
> the range of allowed hosts to route.

Have you tried mail client on Windows?

Quote:>  They receive a  "Relay Prohibited" error
> message.

That means that you misconfigured something somewhere (most likely IP address and
mask in Routing Restrictions).

Quote:>  (The MACs cannot use Outlook to connect via MAPI mail they must use
> pop/smtp).

They surely can - M$ makes full Outlook for MAC.

Quote:> How can Exchange be safeguarded from Spam Relaying and keep the MACs
> happy.  TIA for your insights.

Tells us exactly what you have done already.

--
Corrections are welcome.

For "Good post" practice visit

Kirill.

1. Preventing Spammers from Relaying, But Allowing MY Web Server to Relay

Here's the deal: Exchange 5.5 SP 3 on NT 4 SP 6.  How do I restrict
spammers from relaying while allow my web server (Cold Fusion) to
relay.

Exchange and the Webserver are on the same subnet.

The routing configuration tab for the IMS is set to reroute SMTP
messages to our different domain host as "inbound" for each.

Routing restrictions are configured to accept relays only from
specified IP addresses. The IP address and subnet mask of my web
server is the only one specified as being allowed to relay.

This configuration has stopped all relaying even from the web server
that I specified could relay.

The web server MUST be able to relay through my Exchange server.

Thanks for any help

Holland Mills
Systems Administrator
Conway Data, Inc.

2. Autodial for E-Mail collection! When Queued and Every Hour?

3. preventing spammer from relaying

4. Outlook Out of office/ receive reply

5. How do I Prevent spammers from using my Exchange as a relay

6. Restore to a different domain?

7. How to stop spammers using Exchange relay ?

8. Exchange 5.5 Outgoing SMTP not working

9. Stop spammers using open relay

10. stopping spammers relaying messages off our server

11. How to stop spammers using Exchange relay ?

12. stopping spammers from using our email server as a relay

13. Stopping relay doesn't prevent emailid from same domain