Backup Strategies

Post by Charl » Sat, 25 Oct 2003 08:16:11

Is it necessary to back up both the Exchange Mailboxes
and the Exchange Information Store.  We are getting ready
to do a migration from 5.5 to 2000 and I need a good,
reliable back up.  The mailboxes take forever.

Backup Strategies

Post by Ron » Sat, 25 Oct 2003 09:37:35

DS/IS (full) backup is sufficient. If you want additional backup do an
offline backup instead of individual mailbox backup.

Quote:> Is it necessary to back up both the Exchange Mailboxes
> and the Exchange Information Store.  We are getting ready
> to do a migration from 5.5 to 2000 and I need a good,
> reliable back up.  The mailboxes take forever.

1. Seeking Backup Strategies

Hi,

After extensive hunting through online resources (microsoft.com,
exinternals.com, NNTP sourrces, various print libraries ....) I have found
amazingly little information on this all too critical topic.Microsoft offers
some basic info in it's E2kRecovery.doc --findable at
http://www.microsoft.com/Exchange/techinfo/deployment/2000/E2Krecover...
but I am unable to get detailed info.

My goal is to be able to offer my clients varied strategies including
minimal downtime recovery scenarios. After much work with exch 5.5 I
discovered some great techniques that can no longer work in 2k.

Questions I have:

1. Do any of you have other/better sources for info regarding either exch 2k
in general or recovery specifically?
2. Can I have a second exch server running in the organization and if the
primary fails, restore the data to the 2nd one? (active directory i would
think woudl complicate this, but then perhaps it facilitates it. I am also
having trouble locating good info on the ways in whihc ecxh and AD interact.

Thanks in advance for any leads!

Chris King

2. Help! Deleted Service Account

3. E2K Active/Passive Backup Strategy?

4. Email Forwarding

5. Backup strategy ?

6. OWA for Exchange 2000

7. Right Backup Strategy

8. Want to use Exchange for Calendars and Addressbook only

9. Exchange Backup Strategies

10. Backup strategy

11. Exchange Backup Strategy

12. Backup Strategy