View BCC field

Post by Nick Vellan » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 23:25:22

Hello,
I need some help with Exchange 2K and Outlook XP.  When we upgraded to
Exchange 2K, Domain Admins lost the ability to view the BCC field on
incoming messages.  How do I turn it back on?  Thanks for any help you can
provide!!
Nick

View BCC field

Post by Lanwenc » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 23:38:30

You can't see the contents of the BCC field on an incoming message - that's
the point of BCC. Unless I misunderstand your question?

Quote:> Hello,
> I need some help with Exchange 2K and Outlook XP.  When we upgraded to
> Exchange 2K, Domain Admins lost the ability to view the BCC field on
> incoming messages.  How do I turn it back on?  Thanks for any help you can
> provide!!
> Nick

View BCC field

Post by Nick Vellan » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 00:06:23

Thanks for the response, no, you understood my question correctly, but for
troubleshooting purposes I would like to be able to see the BCC field, I
could do this on Exchange 5.5, and knew before the upgrade that it was not
easily available in 2K, but it is possible.  I was hoping someone had found
out from MS or other sources how to do it.  Thanks!

> You can't see the contents of the BCC field on an incoming message -
that's
> the point of BCC. Unless I misunderstand your question?

> > Hello,
> > I need some help with Exchange 2K and Outlook XP.  When we upgraded to
> > Exchange 2K, Domain Admins lost the ability to view the BCC field on
> > incoming messages.  How do I turn it back on?  Thanks for any help you
can
> > provide!!
> > Nick

View BCC field

Post by Lanwenc » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 00:15:40

I can't understand how you were able to do this. Unless you compose the
message yourself, you have no access to the contents of the BCC field.
They're stripped out of the header as per the RFC for e-mail.

> Thanks for the response, no, you understood my question correctly, but for
> troubleshooting purposes I would like to be able to see the BCC field, I
> could do this on Exchange 5.5, and knew before the upgrade that it was not
> easily available in 2K, but it is possible.  I was hoping someone had
found
> out from MS or other sources how to do it.  Thanks!

> > You can't see the contents of the BCC field on an incoming message -
> that's
> > the point of BCC. Unless I misunderstand your question?

> > > Hello,
> > > I need some help with Exchange 2K and Outlook XP.  When we upgraded to
> > > Exchange 2K, Domain Admins lost the ability to view the BCC field on
> > > incoming messages.  How do I turn it back on?  Thanks for any help you
> can
> > > provide!!
> > > Nick

View BCC field

Post by Susa » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 00:37:21

I don't know how you viewed this information...as previously stated, that
would rather defeat the purpose of the field, would it not?

> Thanks for the response, no, you understood my question correctly, but for
> troubleshooting purposes I would like to be able to see the BCC field, I
> could do this on Exchange 5.5, and knew before the upgrade that it was not
> easily available in 2K, but it is possible.  I was hoping someone had
found
> out from MS or other sources how to do it.  Thanks!

> > You can't see the contents of the BCC field on an incoming message -
> that's
> > the point of BCC. Unless I misunderstand your question?

> > > Hello,
> > > I need some help with Exchange 2K and Outlook XP.  When we upgraded to
> > > Exchange 2K, Domain Admins lost the ability to view the BCC field on
> > > incoming messages.  How do I turn it back on?  Thanks for any help you
> can
> > > provide!!
> > > Nick

View BCC field

Post by Nick Vellan » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 00:38:02

I'm sorry, I should have clarified, this only pertains to internal email,
within one domain.  I could never view the BCC from external mail.

> I can't understand how you were able to do this. Unless you compose the
> message yourself, you have no access to the contents of the BCC field.
> They're stripped out of the header as per the RFC for e-mail.

> > Thanks for the response, no, you understood my question correctly, but
for
> > troubleshooting purposes I would like to be able to see the BCC field, I
> > could do this on Exchange 5.5, and knew before the upgrade that it was
not
> > easily available in 2K, but it is possible.  I was hoping someone had
> found
> > out from MS or other sources how to do it.  Thanks!

wrote

> > > You can't see the contents of the BCC field on an incoming message -
> > that's
> > > the point of BCC. Unless I misunderstand your question?

> > can

View BCC field

Post by Nick Vellan » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 01:20:43

Yes, but as an admin I need this functionality, thanks!

> I don't know how you viewed this information...as previously stated, that
> would rather defeat the purpose of the field, would it not?

> > Thanks for the response, no, you understood my question correctly, but
for
> > troubleshooting purposes I would like to be able to see the BCC field, I
> > could do this on Exchange 5.5, and knew before the upgrade that it was
not
> > easily available in 2K, but it is possible.  I was hoping someone had
> found
> > out from MS or other sources how to do it.  Thanks!

wrote

> > > You can't see the contents of the BCC field on an incoming message -
> > that's
> > > the point of BCC. Unless I misunderstand your question?

> > can

View BCC field

Post by Lanwenc » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 01:16:52

Internal, external, it makes no difference. BCC is blind, period. Did you
perhaps have permission to open other people's mailboxes and see their sent
items before you upgraded to 2000? How are you trying to do this?

> I'm sorry, I should have clarified, this only pertains to internal email,
> within one domain.  I could never view the BCC from external mail.

> > I can't understand how you were able to do this. Unless you compose the
> > message yourself, you have no access to the contents of the BCC field.
> > They're stripped out of the header as per the RFC for e-mail.

> > > Thanks for the response, no, you understood my question correctly, but
> for
> > > troubleshooting purposes I would like to be able to see the BCC field,
> > > could do this on Exchange 5.5, and knew before the upgrade that it was
> not
> > > easily available in 2K, but it is possible.  I was hoping someone had
> > found
> > > out from MS or other sources how to do it.  Thanks!

> wrote

> > > that's

> you
> > > can

View BCC field

Post by Susa » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 01:47:19

the ONLY way to do this that I'm aware of, is to logon to the mailbox of the
user who sent the message, and pull up the sent item...

> Yes, but as an admin I need this functionality, thanks!

> > I don't know how you viewed this information...as previously stated,
that
> > would rather defeat the purpose of the field, would it not?

> > > Thanks for the response, no, you understood my question correctly, but
> for
> > > troubleshooting purposes I would like to be able to see the BCC field,
> > > could do this on Exchange 5.5, and knew before the upgrade that it was
> not
> > > easily available in 2K, but it is possible.  I was hoping someone had
> > found
> > > out from MS or other sources how to do it.  Thanks!

> wrote

> > > that's

> you
> > > can

View BCC field

Post by Nick Vellan » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 02:41:04

Yes, as a Domain Admin I could/can see everybody's mailbox.  The way I used
to do it is to click View within the message and the BCC field was available
to click on.  Now that field is constantly gray unless I am sending a
message.  This was DEFINATELY POSSIBLE with 5.5, I used it to see track
messages.

> Internal, external, it makes no difference. BCC is blind, period. Did you
> perhaps have permission to open other people's mailboxes and see their
sent
> items before you upgraded to 2000? How are you trying to do this?

> > I'm sorry, I should have clarified, this only pertains to internal
email,
> > within one domain.  I could never view the BCC from external mail.

wrote

> > > I can't understand how you were able to do this. Unless you compose
the
> > > message yourself, you have no access to the contents of the BCC field.
> > > They're stripped out of the header as per the RFC for e-mail.

> > for
> > not
> > > found

> > wrote

> upgraded
> on
> > you

1. bcc field in exchange

I frequently use the bcc field when sending messages.  However, when I
check my Sent Items folder later, the bcc field does not appear in the
message.  Is there any way I can make it visible in Sent Items so I can
be certain I remembered to bcc certain individuals?

2. Upgrade Exchange 5.0 SP2 to 5.5?

3. Multiple recipients emails bouncing if BCC field used

4. Need confirmation on how to transition Exchange Servers..

5. How to block or log inbound mail with populated BCC field

6. Stupid Question

7. mail to custom recipients with the bcc field

8. GALMOD32 crashes on W2K Pro (sometimes)

9. Finding out who is in the BCC field

10. BCC Field

11. TO/CC/BCC field not specified

12. Using CC and BCC fields on compose in Exchange Client

13. DL in BCC field