Echange autodial trouble..

Post by Mick » Fri, 10 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi - We have a problem with exchange 5.5 autodialing (Or redialing when
a connection is not present). We have a large number of Sites running
exchange (Connected via permanent modem), and configured exactly the
same fashion i.e under Internet Mail Service, Dial-up Connections -
These are some of the configurations attempted -
Time out after 5min
Schedule - Daily
Dial -
Every 1 hour
All Day

Time out after 5min
Schedule - Daily
Dial -
Every 5 min
All Day

Time out after 5min
Schedule - Daily
Dial -
When mail queued, but at most every 5 min (Also tried 1 hour here)
All Day

But once the connection is lost, the Exchange server will not redial (It
will also not autodial on Server startup)

The majority of our sites work perfectly, but two of them refuse to
redial!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Regards,
Mick

Echange autodial trouble..

Anything interesting in Ap EVent log?

--
If you feel that anything in my post needs correction - feel free to do so
(in group).

Kirill

Echange autodial trouble..

Post by Mick » Fri, 10 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for the reply -

Hmmmm....not that I'm aware of.
Is there some blatantly obvious configuration error with my Internet Mail
Service Settings?
Basically I want exchange to maintain a connection to the ISP 24 hours a day,
7 days a week - And if the connection drops out, re-connect immediately! (Wish
it had a button for that!!)

> Anything interesting in Ap EVent log?

> > Hi - We have a problem with exchange 5.5 autodialing (Or redialing when
> > a connection is not present). We have a large number of Sites running
> > exchange (Connected via permanent modem), and configured exactly the
> > same fashion i.e under Internet Mail Service, Dial-up Connections -
> > These are some of the configurations attempted -
> > Time out after 5min
> > Schedule - Daily
> > Dial -
> > Every 1 hour
> > All Day

> > Time out after 5min
> > Schedule - Daily
> > Dial -
> > Every 5 min
> > All Day

> > Time out after 5min
> > Schedule - Daily
> > Dial -
> > When mail queued, but at most every 5 min (Also tried 1 hour here)
> > All Day

> > But once the connection is lost, the Exchange server will not redial (It
> > will also not autodial on Server startup)

> > The majority of our sites work perfectly, but two of them refuse to
> > redial!
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

> > Regards,
> > Mick

> --
> If you feel that anything in my post needs correction - feel free to do so
> (in group).

> Kirill

Echange autodial trouble..

Post by Jon Plac » Fri, 10 Mar 2000 04:00:00

if the modem is timing out then
1. check the modem properties time out period.
2. check the RAS entry time out period
3. edit the PBK file for the phonebook entry, I think its called
RASPHONE.PBK (or something like that), check the idletimeout=0 if you dont
want it to time out, this can sometime not be updated and has to be done
manually
4. is your ISP dropping the line because of data inactivity ?
As for autoreadial ? check the technet / knowledge base, sorry no ideas
there !

> Thanks for the reply -

> Hmmmm....not that I'm aware of.
> Is there some blatantly obvious configuration error with my Internet Mail
> Service Settings?
> Basically I want exchange to maintain a connection to the ISP 24 hours a
day,
> 7 days a week - And if the connection drops out, re-connect immediately!
(Wish
> it had a button for that!!)

> > Anything interesting in Ap EVent log?

> > > Hi - We have a problem with exchange 5.5 autodialing (Or redialing
when
> > > a connection is not present). We have a large number of Sites running
> > > exchange (Connected via permanent modem), and configured exactly the
> > > same fashion i.e under Internet Mail Service, Dial-up Connections -
> > > These are some of the configurations attempted -
> > > Time out after 5min
> > > Schedule - Daily
> > > Dial -
> > > Every 1 hour
> > > All Day

> > > Time out after 5min
> > > Schedule - Daily
> > > Dial -
> > > Every 5 min
> > > All Day

> > > Time out after 5min
> > > Schedule - Daily
> > > Dial -
> > > When mail queued, but at most every 5 min (Also tried 1 hour here)
> > > All Day

> > > But once the connection is lost, the Exchange server will not redial
(It
> > > will also not autodial on Server startup)

> > > The majority of our sites work perfectly, but two of them refuse to
> > > redial!
> > > Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

> > > Regards,
> > > Mick

> > --
> > If you feel that anything in my post needs correction - feel free to do
so
> > (in group).

> > Kirill

Echange autodial trouble..

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Fri, 10 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> Thanks for the reply -

You are welcome.

Quote:

> Hmmmm....not that I'm aware of.
> Is there some blatantly obvious configuration error with my Internet Mail
> Service Settings?

I do not see any.

Quote:

> Basically I want exchange to maintain a connection to the ISP 24 hours a day,
> 7 days a week

How connections is established in the first time?

Quote:> - And if the connection drops out, re-connect immediately! (Wish
> it had a button for that!!)

You can create an icon for this. At command prompt run
rasphone /?

Quote:> <snip>

group).

Kirill

Echange autodial trouble..

Post by Mick » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> > Thanks for the reply -

> You are welcome.

> > Hmmmm....not that I'm aware of.
> > Is there some blatantly obvious configuration error with my Internet Mail
> > Service Settings?

> I do not see any.

> > Basically I want exchange to maintain a connection to the ISP 24 hours a day,
> > 7 days a week

> How connections is established in the first time?

As the server will not autodial on startup, I wrote a small .bat file - Connects to
the ISP, then pings forever - This maintains a permanent connection until the line
drops out (Or power failure etc)
rasdial ISP username password
ping ISP continually
But I was under the assumption that if the Internet Mail Service is in startup, the
modem should autodial on startup?

Quote:

> > - And if the connection drops out, re-connect immediately! (Wish
> > it had a button for that!!)

> You can create an icon for this. At command prompt run
> rasphone /?

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Regards,
Mick

Quote:

> > <snip>

> --
> If you feel that anything in my post needs correction - feel free to do so (in
> group).

> Kirill

Echange autodial trouble..

Post by Mick » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for the reply - I'll check out what you have suggested. (I had already
ensured the rasphone.pbk idletimeout was 0)
As for the ISP dropping the line due to inactivity - I don't think so (We are
also the ISP!) - We have nearly identical sites setup that have been connected
for 9 days.

Regards,
Mick

> if the modem is timing out then
> 1. check the modem properties time out period.
> 2. check the RAS entry time out period
> 3. edit the PBK file for the phonebook entry, I think its called
> RASPHONE.PBK (or something like that), check the idletimeout=0 if you dont
> want it to time out, this can sometime not be updated and has to be done
> manually
> 4. is your ISP dropping the line because of data inactivity ?
> As for autoreadial ? check the technet / knowledge base, sorry no ideas
> there !

> > Thanks for the reply -

> > Hmmmm....not that I'm aware of.
> > Is there some blatantly obvious configuration error with my Internet Mail
> > Service Settings?
> > Basically I want exchange to maintain a connection to the ISP 24 hours a
> day,
> > 7 days a week - And if the connection drops out, re-connect immediately!
> (Wish
> > it had a button for that!!)

> > > Anything interesting in Ap EVent log?

> when

> (It

> > > --
> > > If you feel that anything in my post needs correction - feel free to do
> so
> > > (in group).

> > > Kirill

Echange autodial trouble..

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> <snip>

> As the server will not autodial on startup, I wrote a small .bat file - Connects to
> the ISP, then pings forever - This maintains a permanent connection until the line
> drops out (Or power failure etc)
> rasdial ISP username password
> ping ISP continually

Ahaa.

Quote:

> But I was under the assumption that if the Internet Mail Service is in startup, the
> modem should autodial on startup?

What you have in IMC props, Connections and Dial-Up connections tabs?

Quote:> <snip>

--
If you feel that anything in my post needs correction - feel free to do so (in group).

Kirill

1. Echange autodial trouble..

[...]

2. Exchange 5.5 Message Filtering

3. Status code 5.5.0

4. Autodial manager

5. duplicate messages

6. How to have IMS Dial-up co-exist with MSProxy autodial

7. Using Exchange as a SMTP store

8. Problem with autodial

9. Autodial at system startup

10. How to get Autodial with MS Exchange ???

11. Outlook Autodials my ISP, won't autodial Exch Server

12. Autodial, Msie and Exchange 4.0