Newsgroups

Post by Michael Lomk » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Can someone tell me how to configure Exchange 5.5 with a T1 for
> newsgroups.  I have port 119 open on the firewall, what else needs to be
> configured?

That's a great question.  I installed the Internet News connector on our
exchange system and configured it for a "pull" configuration.  I picked a
couple of newsgroups, can see them from Outlook, but nothing shows up in
the folders.

I was going to hit Technet one of these days and figure out what the
story is.

Let me know if you find any good tips.

Newsgroups

Post by Amiri Jone » Sun, 23 May 1999 04:00:00

What news server are you connecting to?  Most news servers have
disabled the NEWNEWS command, which is what Exchange uses to retrieve
newsgroup content in a pull newsfeed configuration.  Contact the
operator of the server (assuming you have a contact point, such as an
email address) and ask if the NEWNEWS command is active.
        You might also try setting up a pull newsfeed with the
msnews.microsoft.com server.  It's my understanding that it does have
the NEWNEWS command active.
        If your news server doesn't have NEWNEWS active, then your only
alternative (for creating a newsfeed in Exchange) is a push newsfeed.
As far as the firewall is concerned, I think port 119 (TCP) is the only
port you need open.

> > Can someone tell me how to configure Exchange 5.5 with a T1 for
> > newsgroups.  I have port 119 open on the firewall, what else needs to be
> > configured?

> That's a great question.  I installed the Internet News connector on our
> exchange system and configured it for a "pull" configuration.  I picked a
> couple of newsgroups, can see them from Outlook, but nothing shows up in
> the folders.

1. Folders under Internet Newsgroups which aren't newsgroups

If you manually create a folder hierarchy under Internet
Newsgroups then each folder becomes a newsgroup with a
name which reflects its position in the hierarchy.

However if you set up a feed and import an active file from
another news server, letting Exchange create the hierarchy for
you, then the intermediate folders which were not newsgroups in
the active file do not become newsgroups in Exchange.

Having created a hierarchy manually (before I knew about
this behaviour) I now have some newsgroups which should
not exist, since they are just intermediate folders to
support the hierarchy.

Is it possible to remove the newsgroup property from
these folders so they are no longer visible to news
clients?

jim

2. virtual server only queing messages

3. Folder under "Internet Newsgroups" not a newsgroup???

4. pst2gb

5. Why does posting to newsgroup on newsgroup server also send message to IMAP4 Exchange Server account?

6. Very frustrated...

7. Exchange Newsgroups Web Interface

8. Messages do not go out!

9. Newsgroups