Unreadable Attachments

Post by Mark » Wed, 08 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Since we installed Exchange, a lot of our correspondents say they cannot
read our attachments.
I have no idea where to look for a cause for this problem.
We send the same email to other correspondents who did not have a problem at
all.
We saved the word documents in previous versions, no solution.

Anyone who can give us a hint where to start looking?

Exchange 5.5 (no SP) on NTS 4.0 w/ SP5
Our clients = Outlook 2000

Thanks in advance, Mark.

Unreadable Attachments

Post by Ashit Dhandhusari » Wed, 08 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Do you have installed Internet Mail Service ?
Is all correcpondents are using same MIME or some are using UUENCODE ?

Ashit

>Since we installed Exchange, a lot of our correspondents say they cannot
>read our attachments.
>I have no idea where to look for a cause for this problem.
>We send the same email to other correspondents who did not have a problem
at
>all.
>We saved the word documents in previous versions, no solution.

>Anyone who can give us a hint where to start looking?

>Exchange 5.5 (no SP) on NTS 4.0 w/ SP5
>Our clients = Outlook 2000

>Thanks in advance, Mark.

Unreadable Attachments

Post by Walt Branno » Thu, 09 Dec 1999 04:00:00

First you should install at least up to SP 2 on Exchange....
Walt

Quote:> Since we installed Exchange, a lot of our correspondents say they cannot
> read our attachments.
> I have no idea where to look for a cause for this problem.
> We send the same email to other correspondents who did not have a problem
at
> all.
> We saved the word documents in previous versions, no solution.

> Anyone who can give us a hint where to start looking?

> Exchange 5.5 (no SP) on NTS 4.0 w/ SP5
> Our clients = Outlook 2000

> Thanks in advance, Mark.

Unreadable Attachments

Post by stev » Fri, 10 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Change your Mail Format to Plain Text

>Since we installed Exchange, a lot of our correspondents say they cannot
>read our attachments.
>I have no idea where to look for a cause for this problem.
>We send the same email to other correspondents who did not have a problem at
>all.
>We saved the word documents in previous versions, no solution.

>Anyone who can give us a hint where to start looking?

>Exchange 5.5 (no SP) on NTS 4.0 w/ SP5
>Our clients = Outlook 2000

>Thanks in advance, Mark.

Unreadable Attachments

Post by Mark » Sat, 11 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Does this mean you cannot use HTML format when using Exchange as server?
Mark.

> Change your Mail Format to Plain Text

> >Since we installed Exchange, a lot of our correspondents say they cannot
> >read our attachments.
> >I have no idea where to look for a cause for this problem.
> >We send the same email to other correspondents who did not have a problem
at
> >all.
> >We saved the word documents in previous versions, no solution.

> >Anyone who can give us a hint where to start looking?

> >Exchange 5.5 (no SP) on NTS 4.0 w/ SP5
> >Our clients = Outlook 2000

> >Thanks in advance, Mark.

Unreadable Attachments

Post by nsco.. » Sat, 18 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Short Answer: Use Plain Text format.

The majority of time that I have seen this problem it has been an issue
on the receiving end, so to answer your question: you can use HTML, but
if the recipients mail reader doesn't recognize html, then they won't be
able to read it.

Language versions can also be the cause (e.g., we have a facility in
Hong Kong and a user there set up their netscape to use Chinese, but our
Exchange/Outlook couldn't translate the character set.)  Only way to
decipher the problem, is to look at the headers of the failed messages
on the receiving end....they typically will provide information on why
it failed, but it may be hidden in a lot of other information.

Side note:
I have been running OL2K for almost 6 months without any problems and
haven't heard of any problems with the HTML format.....the Outlook Rich
Text is a different story and a known problem as that is a Microsoft
creation and it appears that only Microsoft products recognize it.  At
least, that is the experience I have had with ORT

> Does this mean you cannot use HTML format when using Exchange as
server?
> Mark.

> > Change your Mail Format to Plain Text

> > >Since we installed Exchange, a lot of our correspondents say they
cannot
> > >read our attachments.
> > >I have no idea where to look for a cause for this problem.
> > >We send the same email to other correspondents who did not have a
problem
> at
> > >all.
> > >We saved the word documents in previous versions, no solution.

> > >Anyone who can give us a hint where to start looking?

> > >Exchange 5.5 (no SP) on NTS 4.0 w/ SP5
> > >Our clients = Outlook 2000

> > >Thanks in advance, Mark.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Unreadable Attachments arriving from Mac users

This problem has been around here for a long time and no resolution has ever
been worked out.

Very often we receive an email with an attachment originating somewhere from
a Mac client (usually Eudora, but sometimes others I think).  The mail, of
course, eventually comes in through our IMS.  The Exchange User recipient
finds an unintelligible attachment.

The problem seems to be something to do with not recognising a BINHEX
encoded attachment.  I thought Exchange IMS was supposed to recognize this
on incoming mail and do something with it to convert the attachment to a
regular attachment for the Exchange (Outlook) user.

Has anybody come across this?  If so is there a resolution?  (I know we can
install tools like Stuffit on the Exchange Client to unpack the attachment,
but we shouldn't need to.  There must be an Exchange Serever based
solution.)

--
Trevor Lawrence
School of Computing

2. Using Frame Relay!

3. Unreadable attachments

4. Outlook internet e-mail question

5. Unreadable Mac Outlook 5.01 attachments

6. SMTP Delivery

7. Attachments Unreadable as .unk files

8. Actioning items posted to a public folder

9. Outlook message attachments unreadable by some recipients

10. Attachments to notes from E2K unreadable

11. unreadable e-mail attachment

12. Attachments Unreadable as .unk files

13. unreadable e-mail attachment