CPU 100% exhausted by SMTP service on Exchange 2000

CPU 100% exhausted by SMTP service on Exchange 2000

Post by Eduar » Wed, 03 Jul 2002 03:16:24

Hello, my configuration is as follows:

- Windows 2000 Server SP2.
- Microsoft Exchange 2000 SP2.

My problem is that SMTP service (inetinfo process) consumes all the
CPU just after starting. Besides, if I try to stop SMTP service,
Windows timer finishes and the service if not stopped (it remains in
"Stopping" status). I can only stop inetinfo process using kill.exe
program, but all IIS services are restarted immediately and the
problem continues (likely, some program needs these services running
and restarts them).

I have applied last Microsoft patches for Windows 2000 and rebooted
the machine several times, but the inetinfo process always takes
possesion of the whole CPU. I know that SMTP service is responsible
because I disabled it and CPU occupation was reduced even with
inetinfo process running.

Of course, I applied patches Q313450 for SMTP and Q320436 for
Exchange, which talk about malformed SMTP commands that can cause
denial-of-service, but the problem remains. Well, I have observed in
Windows Registry that, strangely, there is no "Filelist" key under
\\HKLM\\Software\Microsoft\Updates\Windows 2000\SP3\Q313450 (all SP3
patches have and this is mentioned in Microsoft documentation about
patch Q313450). I have re-installed the patch several times, but no
changes are made to the Registry.

I'm thinking about uninstalling IIS, but I dont know if this can be
harmful for Exchange (I think so).

Could you let me a hand?

   Thank you very much.

Jos Eduardo Mohedano

Post by Eduar » Wed, 03 Jul 2002 03:17:32

[...]

Eduardo Mohedano

1. CPU 100% exhausted by SMTP service on Exchange 2000

Hello, my configuration is as follows:

- Windows 2000 Server SP2.
- Microsoft Exchange 2000 SP2.

My problem is that SMTP service (inetinfo process) consumes almost all
[...]

patches have and, besides, this key is mentioned in Microsoft
documentation about patch Q313450). I have re-installed the patch
several times, but no changes are made to the Registry.

I'm thinking about uninstalling IIS, but I dont know if this can be
harmful for Exchange (I think so).

   Thank you.

2. Exchange 5.5 re-install

3. INETINFO.exe 100% CPU When SMTP service is running

4. Interesting problem, makes you think! Or does it?

5. Information Store service is at 100% CPU

6. w9x using ie can't access owa

7. event service causing CPU to run @ 100%

8. Incorrect mail recipient

9. Inetinfo at 100 CPU when SMTP running?

10. INETINFO and SMTP consume 100% CPU

11. Exchange 2000/SMTP - INETINFO at 100%

12. Exchange CPU 100%

13. Exchange 5.5 OWA, inetinfo utilize 100% CPU