Move Exchange Server 5.5 from PDC Server to a new NT Server

Move Exchange Server 5.5 from PDC Server to a new NT Server

Post by Hieu Tra » Thu, 03 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi everyone,
We currently have MS Exchange Server 5.5 SP2 running on an DEC-Alpha NT
Server 4.0.  This server is also the PDC of our domain.  We want to get a
new Intel-based NT Server and make it our new Exchange Server.
What steps (installation, mailbox moving, reconfig DNS for new mail server
name, etc.) do we need to follow in order to have Exchange Server running on
our new Intel-based NT Server instead of running it on our old Dec-Alpha PDC
NT Server?
Please advice!  Thanks.

Hieu Tran

Move Exchange Server 5.5 from PDC Server to a new NT Server

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:00:00

See FAQ

> Hi everyone,
> We currently have MS Exchange Server 5.5 SP2 running on an DEC-Alpha NT
> Server 4.0.  This server is also the PDC of our domain.  We want to get a
> new Intel-based NT Server and make it our new Exchange Server.
> What steps (installation, mailbox moving, reconfig DNS for new mail server
> name, etc.) do we need to follow in order to have Exchange Server running on
> our new Intel-based NT Server instead of running it on our old Dec-Alpha PDC
> NT Server?
> Please advice!  Thanks.

> Hieu Tran

group).

Kirill

Move Exchange Server 5.5 from PDC Server to a new NT Server

Post by Bob Bel » Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I am in the process of doing this using this method.  Except mine
was 5.5 added to 4.0 site..   I am actually taking my time doing
it, and it hase been pretty painless, except for the occasional
large mailboxes.  Although, I do fear the final removal steps
of the orginal server.

Bob

> Unless you want it to have the same name, add a new
> server to the site, and move the mailboxes over.  Be sure
> to read up on how to remove the first server from a
> site after you do this, and are ready to remove Exchange
> from the PDC.  The beauty of this is that you have to make
> no change to the clients as long as you leave the first
> server up long enough for everyone to log in (my experience
> has been that Outlook 97, at least, can't find the second
> server if the first was removed before they rehomed).
> Contrary to CW, the custom recipients will rehome to
> the new server if the first one is left up long enough.

> As for public folders, you have to rehome those, and must
> drill all the way down the structure.  It is a pain if you
> have a lot of folders.

> This is just one method, though.  It is possible an easier
> method exists.

> The DNS part is easy.  Just change the name, IP address,
> CNAME, etc. of the old server to the new.

> Greg

> > Hi everyone,
> > We currently have MS Exchange Server 5.5 SP2 running on an DEC-Alpha NT
> > Server 4.0.  This server is also the PDC of our domain.  We want to get
> > new Intel-based NT Server and make it our new Exchange Server.
> > What steps (installation, mailbox moving, reconfig DNS for new mail
server
> > name, etc.) do we need to follow in order to have Exchange Server
running
> on
> > our new Intel-based NT Server instead of running it on our old
Dec-Alpha
> PDC
> > NT Server?
> > Please advice!  Thanks.

> > Hieu Tran

Move Exchange Server 5.5 from PDC Server to a new NT Server

Post by Amiri Jone » Sat, 05 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> I am in the process of doing this using this method.  Except mine
> was 5.5 added to 4.0 site..   I am actually taking my time doing
> it, and it hase been pretty painless, except for the occasional
> large mailboxes.  Although, I do fear the final removal steps
> of the orginal server.

    You can ease your fears by shutting down the server (stop the Exchange
services and set the startup to Disabled) for a couple of weeks.  If
everything continues to work properly, make one more backup of the IS and DS
on the machine, and uninstall Exchange.

1. Moving Exchange Server 5.5 from a PDC to a new NT Server

Hi everyone,
We currently have MS Exchange Server 5.5 SP2 running on an DEC-Alpha NT
Server 4.0.  This server is also the PDC of our domain.  We want to get a
new Intel-based NT Server and make it our new Exchange Server.
What steps (installation, mailbox moving, reconfig DNS for new mail server
name, etc.) do we need to follow in order to have Exchange Server running on
our new Intel-based NT Server instead of running it on our old Dec-Alpha PDC
NT Server?
Please advice!  Thanks.

Hieu Tran

2. Multiple orginisation hosting

3. Move Exchange Server 5.5 from NT 4.0 to a new Win 2K server

4. Web access?

5. Moving Exchange 5.5 server (on NT 4.0) to new Win2K AD domain

6. Please help with cleaning up Active Directory

7. move Exchange Server 5.5 to a new NT domain

8. Moving Mailbox to Different Recipients Container

9. Moving Exchange Server 5.5 to new server

10. Move Exchange Server 5.5 to new Server Q's

11. Moving from old 5.5 server to new 5.5 server

12. Want to move exchange server 5.5 server into new domain

13. Move Exchange Server 5.5 to new Server Q's