Bugs in E2K

Post by Mike » Fri, 05 Jan 2001 04:46:01

I have heard that there is a substantial number of bugs in ELK. Someone in a
position to know recommended against deploying the product until SP2.

Any thoughts or comments?

Anyone know of a public bug list?

Mike Erter

Bugs in E2K

Post by Mike » Fri, 05 Jan 2001 04:56:06

Sorry, make that 'E2K'.

> I have heard that there is a substantial number of bugs in ELK. Someone in
> position to know recommended against deploying the product until SP2.

> Any thoughts or comments?

> Anyone know of a public bug list?

> Mike Erter

Bugs in E2K

Post by Ed Woodric » Fri, 05 Jan 2001 09:34:13

Are there bugs? Yes! Are the bugs showstoppers? In most instances, no.

Should you deploy it now? That depends. Have you done your homework? Have
you created your AD design? Start work on it now. Whenever you get
completed, go ahead and start the migration.

There is not a problem with data loss, there's not really any problems that
most people will notice.

So go ahead and go for it. I believe that you will find that the new
features far outweigh any problems with the product.

--
Ed Woodrick
MVP - Exchange

> I have heard that there is a substantial number of bugs in ELK. Someone in
> position to know recommended against deploying the product until SP2.

> Any thoughts or comments?

> Anyone know of a public bug list?

> Mike Erter

Bugs in E2K

Post by William Lefkovic » Fri, 05 Jan 2001 09:41:14

I've gone through beta3, RC1, RC2, and the release.

Yes there are bugs.

BUT, from OWA to the MMC.  The positives far outweigh the annoyances.

Just my thoughts.

William Lefkovics, MCSE, A+
With Exchange2000, Microsoft has upped its standards.  Now up yours.

> I have heard that there is a substantial number of bugs in ELK. Someone in
> position to know recommended against deploying the product until SP2.

> Any thoughts or comments?

> Anyone know of a public bug list?

> Mike Erter

Bugs in E2K

Post by Mike » Sat, 06 Jan 2001 06:41:34

I wonder if any bugs affect AD's schema? Have you heard of anyone having to
rebuild thier Forest due to problems with the released (not beta) product?

We have AD deployed. We've done a decent amount of homework and we run a
small installation (350 mailboxes, 1 server) of 5.5.
I have a non-production E2K test lab but I haven't been sure what to test...
I've played with ADC some... created CAs and watched them function...

Give some examples of bugs that would be 'showstoppers'. If we roll out E2K
instead of 5.5 it'll be a vanilla installation; no instant messaging or
other 'advanced features' (at least not in the initial deployment). 1000
users, 5 sites, fewer than 10 E2K servers total.

I understand email goes down DAILY at Microsoft. MS has fully deployed E2K,
50,000 mailboxes I think, and if it's not working there ... well, I really
have to wonder if I should go with 5.5.

> Are there bugs? Yes! Are the bugs showstoppers? In most instances, no.

> Should you deploy it now? That depends. Have you done your homework? Have
> you created your AD design? Start work on it now. Whenever you get
> completed, go ahead and start the migration.

> There is not a problem with data loss, there's not really any problems
that
> most people will notice.

> So go ahead and go for it. I believe that you will find that the new
> features far outweigh any problems with the product.

> --
> Ed Woodrick
> MVP - Exchange

> > I have heard that there is a substantial number of bugs in ELK. Someone
in
> > position to know recommended against deploying the product until SP2.

> > Any thoughts or comments?

> > Anyone know of a public bug list?

> > Mike Erter

1. BUG BUG BUG OnSyncSave OnSyncDelete Event Sink pair

There is a bug in the OnSyncDelete and OnSyncSave event sinks.

How to generate the BUG

If you create a recursive appointment the OnSyncSave event will trigger for
the MASTER item only.
(well, in my opinion it messes the idea of OnSave event sinks 'coz it should
work for any item that is saved in the folder and then let me control if
it's the MASTER or not... well... lets call it
OnSaveExceptRecursiveInstances event sink)

When you open, change and save an instance of that recursive appointment the
event sink OnSyncSave will trigger. (well I agree with it... after all it's
a diferent item)

But when you delete the MASTER item, the OnSyncDelete will trigger (again)
for that item only, ignoring the dependent items, including the diferent
one.

This means that OnSyncSave was triggered for an item that will not trigger
the OnSyncDelete once deleted.

It happened to me 'coz I get the DAV:id of all existing items (to use later
for some procedures) and I use OnSyncSave and OnSyncDelete event sinks to
get every saved or deleted item. The result is that I have the DAV:ids of
items that doesn't exist anymore.

If I dont want this to happen I have to delete first the changed items and
then I can delete the MASTER.
or
when I delete the MASTER I have to look for the instances.

Why don't OnSyncSave and OnSyncDelete trigger for every item and let us
control the items we want since we have the 'CRITERIA' field when registing
the event sink ?

Regards,
Rui Mota

2. Unable to Delete Schedule+ Free Busy Folders

3. Does E2K have bugs handling PRIV1.STM file?

4. How can I rejec mail on Exchange Server 5.5

5. strange E2k - third level dns - bug ??

6. Exchange Suddenly Wants Different Ports After pcAnywhere Installation

7. Bug in Bug Tracking App.

8. E2K Cluster hardware question

9. Bug tracking sample doesn't send bug task to recepient

10. Meeting requests with E2k and Outlook 2000 and CDO for E2k

11. E2K-E55-E2K coesistence

12. Install AD on E2K after E2K Installation

13. E2K to E2K migration