NTBackup question.

Post by Larry Becke » Sat, 23 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Just got my Compaq 40/80 DLT Drive, and am about to move off of ArcServe and
network backups and use NT Backup local to the Exchange server.  Assuming I
do the full online's daily, and circular logging is disabled, will NTBackup
flush the logs on its own after backups are performed??

Thanks,
Larry

NTBackup question.

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Sat, 23 Sep 2000 04:00:00

AFAIK, that depends on command line switches you use.
You should use NORMAL backup for the logs to be flashed.
More info at
http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/techinfo/BackupRestore.htm

P.S. Any comments on the DLT drive?

> Just got my Compaq 40/80 DLT Drive, and am about to move off of ArcServe and
> network backups and use NT Backup local to the Exchange server.  Assuming I
> do the full online's daily, and circular logging is disabled, will NTBackup
> flush the logs on its own after backups are performed??

> Thanks,
> Larry

group).

Kirill

NTBackup question.

Post by Larry Becke » Sat, 23 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Will report back with some thoughts/comments on the drive once I throw it
into the mix.  Will get it running on the recovery server first just to get
a feel for the whole NTbackup and barebones nature of this new (old)
procedure I'll be using.  So far all I can tell is it's one damn expensive
tape drive :)  (heavy too)

> AFAIK, that depends on command line switches you use.
> You should use NORMAL backup for the logs to be flashed.
> More info at
> http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/techinfo/BackupRestore.htm

> P.S. Any comments on the DLT drive?

> > Just got my Compaq 40/80 DLT Drive, and am about to move off of ArcServe
and
> > network backups and use NT Backup local to the Exchange server.
Assuming I
> > do the full online's daily, and circular logging is disabled, will
NTBackup
> > flush the logs on its own after backups are performed??

> > Thanks,
> > Larry

> --
> If you feel that anything in my post needs correction - feel free to do so
(in
> group).
> And please, keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

> Kirill

NTBackup question.

Post by Larry Becke » Sat, 23 Sep 2000 04:00:00

After running a quick test on an old 5 gig database...My first impressions
are good. Drive was a snap to install, and backed up a 5 gig database in 40
minutes.  Considering our current 12+ gig database takes over 9 hours
(network backup), this should be a welcome change.  It pays to note there
are 4 jobs concurrently running throughout the night causing the network
backups to run as slow as....

> Will report back with some thoughts/comments on the drive once I throw it
> into the mix.  Will get it running on the recovery server first just to
get
> a feel for the whole NTbackup and barebones nature of this new (old)
> procedure I'll be using.  So far all I can tell is it's one damn expensive
> tape drive :)  (heavy too)

in

> > AFAIK, that depends on command line switches you use.
> > You should use NORMAL backup for the logs to be flashed.
> > More info at
> > http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/techinfo/BackupRestore.htm

> > P.S. Any comments on the DLT drive?

> > > Just got my Compaq 40/80 DLT Drive, and am about to move off of
ArcServe
> and
> > > network backups and use NT Backup local to the Exchange server.
> Assuming I
> > > do the full online's daily, and circular logging is disabled, will
> NTBackup
> > > flush the logs on its own after backups are performed??

> > > Thanks,
> > > Larry

> > --
> > If you feel that anything in my post needs correction - feel free to do
so
> (in
> > group).
> > And please, keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can
participate.

> > Kirill

NTBackup question.

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Sun, 24 Sep 2000 14:03:09

Thanks for feedback.

> After running a quick test on an old 5 gig database...My first impressions
> are good. Drive was a snap to install, and backed up a 5 gig database in 40
> minutes.  Considering our current 12+ gig database takes over 9 hours
> (network backup), this should be a welcome change.  It pays to note there
> are 4 jobs concurrently running throughout the night causing the network
> backups to run as slow as....

> <snip>

group).

Kirill

1. NTbackup question

Hi all,

Just wondering - if a user accesses email etc. during a backup session, does it
corrupt the backup?

I have been having backup issues - backup works fine for a few days, then get
errors (backup of log files corrupt, will not restore...).  Then the next day
the backup works fine.

I have even run two backups at night (like 2am and 4am) and have the first one
come up corrupt - but the second one was fine.

Any help appreciated,
Rob

2. Setting Up Resources

3. NTBackup question

4. Customizing the OWA screen

5. ntbackup question with exchange

6. Distribution Lists

7. Ex5 sp1 (NT4sp3) NTBackup question

8. recurrence information field

9. NTBACKUP question

10. Another NTBackup restore question

11. veritas supplied ntbackup and MS supplied ntbackup

12. !!! NT4.0 - Question about NTBACKUP/Batch Command !!!